Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

European Convention on Human Rights

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

European Convention on Human Rights [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 00:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (01:43) correct 55% (01:00) wrong based on 84 sessions
Until the European Convention on Human Rights came into effect in 2000, no law of privacy was as yet acknowledged by British courts.

A. no law of privacy was as yet acknowledged by British courts
B. British courts did not acknowledge a law of privacy
C. the courts in Britain had not acknowledged a law of privacy
D. a law of privacy was not acknowledged by the courts in Britain
E. there had been no acknowledged law of privacy in Britain
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1131 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: European Convention on Human Rights [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 01:02
Until the European Convention on Human Rights came into effect in 2000, no law of privacy was as yet acknowledged by British courts.

We know that an unstated rule of the GMAT is "avoid passive"(if possible).
A, D use a passive form.
The past perfect is used to clarify a sequence of events, the latter should be expressed in PP form and the most recent is simple past.

In this sentence the "timing" is already clear, since the sentence begins with "until"; we already know what happened first, so the use of the Past Perfect is not necessary, hence we should go for the most concise answer. All this leaves us with B, that is the best option

B. British courts did not acknowledge a law of privacy

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: European Convention on Human Rights [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 04:29
Hi zarralou i believe that option a is wrong because it is a sentence fragment

Kudos always encourages me

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1131 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: European Convention on Human Rights [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 04:44
swati007 wrote:
Hi zarralou i believe that option a is wrong because it is a sentence fragment

A clause is called a fragment if is a dependent clause without subject / verb, or is not connected to an IC (or a combination of those).

"A. no law of privacy was as yet acknowledged by British courts " this clearly has both a subject and a verb, so you're saying that is dependent clause... yes, I can agree with that, mostly because the sentence states "... yet ..." (when?) so its meaning is not complete on its own (hence is a DC).

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: European Convention on Human Rights [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2013, 08:06
Between B and D, B is better because first clause is in active so it make sense to go with active in 2nd clause...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 17

Re: European Convention on Human Rights [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 00:32
Hi All,

What is wrong in (E)? The verb "acknowledged" should precede "came". Hence should it not be "had been no acknowledged"?

Regards

Argha
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 566 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: European Convention on Human Rights [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 03:01
argha wrote:
Hi All,

What is wrong in (E)? The verb "acknowledged" should precede "came". Hence should it not be "had been no acknowledged"?

Regards

Argha

hi argha,

option E is wrong because itcompletely changes the intended meaningof the original question.

intended meaning:==until 2000,british courts dindnt pass any law of privacy

opton E:
E. there had been no acknowledged law of privacy in Britain===>UNTIL 2000 THERE WAS NO LAW IN BRITAIN ON PRIVACY.
USE OF HAD IS ALSO WRONG HERE.YOU CAN EXPRESS WITH SIMPLE PAST ALSO

I didnt understand what you meant to say with this:

The verb "acknowledged" should precede "came". Hence should it not be "had been no acknowledged"?

hope it helps.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-16-2013
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: European Convention on Human Rights [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 21:07
hi dears
in (B)....>british court=may be consume as a type of court
in (c)......>the court in britain is clear than another
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 17

Re: European Convention on Human Rights [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 22:32
Hi Shailesh,

If option (E) is plugged into the original question:

Until the European Convention on Human Rights came into effect in 2000, there had been no acknowledged law of privacy in Britain

Between the two highlighted verbs above, the second one precedes the first. Hence the tense of the second should be PP.

But I presume, when the sequence of events is clear by the usage of "until", then both the verbs should be simple past.

My bad, as I was not aware of this.

Thanks for the explanation anyways.

Regards

Argha
Re: European Convention on Human Rights   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2013, 22:32