Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

European Universities for Msc Finance, Ranking correct ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

European Universities for Msc Finance, Ranking correct ? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 05:31
Are the following rankings of Tiers on an International scale correct? What needs to be changed? Did I forget something somewhere?

Thank you :)

Tier 1:
HEC Lausanne
HEC Paris
LSE
Oxford
Cambridge
Warwick
Imperial
Rotman Toronto (one exception, Canadian)
Bocconi
HSG

Tier 2:
IE Madrid
RSM
WHU
SSE
LBS

Tier 3:
Maastricht
WU Vienna
EBS
Frankfurt
Mannheim
EDHC
Copenhagen
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: European Universities for Msc Finance, Ranking correct ? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 09:41
I don't quite understand the intention behind the ranking.

What are you ranking? International recognition? If so, I barely recognize HEC Lausanne, don't think very highly of Warwick, didn't even know Cambridge had a pre-experience finance program, and have no idea what Rotman Toronto is; I've spent multiple hours reading about MSc Finance/Management programs in Europe.

If it's placement, pretty much every top school in each respective country has solid opportunities. A guy from LSE is unlikely to end up working in Norway unless he speaks Norwegian, so most of the multinational corporations (Goldman, McKinsey, etc.) will recruit heavily from the local talent pool. This is probably going to be the same in most European countries.

GMAT Prep 1 - November 25, 2013: 44 Q, 45 V, 720
GMAT Prep 2 - March 16, 2014: 47 Q, 42 V, 720

Intern
Intern

Re: European Universities for Msc Finance, Ranking correct ? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 12:47
Yes, it is about international recognition. Its important to me that the university i plan to do my MFin in such a university so that it is also recognizable in the Middle east and Asia Pacific.
Intern
Intern

Re: European Universities for Msc Finance, Ranking correct ? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 13:01
This is what someone in another Forum posted as an answer to my question:

"Ranking according to placements and brand value GLOBALLY:

Tier 1

LBS

Tier 2

HEC/LSE/Oxbridge

Tier 3

SSE/Rotman/IE/ESADE/Bocconi/Imperial/Warwick etc

Tier 4

Rest"

Question:
In regards to the tier 3 and tier 4 (REST) universities, which one of those are internationally recognized? especially in the Middle East and Asia Pacific?

Intern
Intern

Re: European Universities for Msc Finance, Ranking correct ? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 22:21
People know the LBS name more than Oxford? Not a chance.
And HEC nor LSE are on the same level as a global brand as Oxbridge, especially Oxford.

I honestly don't know much about university brand value in Asia Pacific and the Middle East.

From an American perspective who has connections to Asia & currently lives in Europe, here's my idea on international recognition: Oxbridge is going to be the top (by a fair margin) followed by LSE & LBS (with a slight advantage to LSE), then HEC, followed by Bocconi, HSG, SSE all somewhere near each other, really dependent on what part of the world you're in.

Intern
Intern

Re: European Universities for Msc Finance, Ranking correct ? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 03:11
mooncakes wrote:
People know the LBS name more than Oxford? Not a chance.
And HEC nor LSE are on the same level as a global brand as Oxbridge, especially Oxford.

I honestly don't know much about university brand value in Asia Pacific and the Middle East.

From an American perspective who has connections to Asia & currently lives in Europe, here's my idea on international recognition: Oxbridge is going to be the top (by a fair margin) followed by LSE & LBS (with a slight advantage to LSE), then HEC, followed by Bocconi, HSG, SSE all somewhere near each other, really dependent on what part of the world you're in.

This sounds alot like the answers i got in the following:

Quote:
Tier 1:

LSE
HEC Paris
LBS
Oxford
Cambridge
Bocconi
HSG
SSE

Tier 2:
Imperial
Warwick
Cranfield SOM
WHU
IE
EDHEC
RSM
ESSEC
ESCP

Tier 3:
Mannheim
Frankfurt School of Finance
Wu Vienna
EBS
Copenhagen
HEC Lausanne
Vlerick
Nova Lissabon
Henley
Grenoble
Cass
EMLyon
HHL Leipzig
Catolica Lissabon
Manchester
Zurich

and this

Quote:
Tier 1:
LSE
Imperial
LBS
Warwick
HEC Paris
Oxford
Cambridge
Bocconi
HSG

Tier 2:
ESSEC
ESCP
IE Madrid
RSM
WHU
SSE
HEC Lausanne

Tier 3:
EM Lyon
Maastricht
WU Vienna
EBS
Frankfurt
Mannheim
EDHEC
Copenhagen

these must be pretty accurate, right?
Intern
Intern

Re: European Universities for Msc Finance, Ranking correct ? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 05:09
They're somewhat accurate. Honestly, I'd just look at the individual placement info of each program you're interested in through their websites. Not all of them will have said info, of course, but it'll give a clearer idea. I don't know if I'd agree with anything. Grenoble doesn't offer the same opportunities as Copenhagen Business School, for example. Grenoble is like #5 in France or something and CBS is #1 in Denmark. McKinsey Denmark recruits from CBS, whereas I sure as hell doubt McKinsey France gets its students from Grenoble when there's HEC, INSEAD, ESSEC, and ESCP.

The tier 1 list in the first quote pretty much encompasses most schools with a good international reputation, I suppose, but trying to fit everything into tier lists isn't really going to get you far. It's not like American business schools. European recruiting is going to be a lot more dependent on recruiting locally due to language barriers, whereas Bain & Co. in San Fran has no problem recruiting a guy that went to Sloan.

Intern
Intern

Re: European Universities for Msc Finance, Ranking correct ? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 06:10
mooncakes wrote:
They're somewhat accurate. Honestly, I'd just look at the individual placement info of each program you're interested in through their websites. Not all of them will have said info, of course, but it'll give a clearer idea. I don't know if I'd agree with anything. Grenoble doesn't offer the same opportunities as Copenhagen Business School, for example. Grenoble is like #5 in France or something and CBS is #1 in Denmark. McKinsey Denmark recruits from CBS, whereas I sure as hell doubt McKinsey France gets its students from Grenoble when there's HEC, INSEAD, ESSEC, and ESCP.

The tier 1 list in the first quote pretty much encompasses most schools with a good international reputation, I suppose, but trying to fit everything into tier lists isn't really going to get you far. It's not like American business schools. European recruiting is going to be a lot more dependent on recruiting locally due to language barriers, whereas Bain & Co. in San Fran has no problem recruiting a guy that went to Sloan.

thank you very much ! :-D
Re: European Universities for Msc Finance, Ranking correct ?   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2014, 06:10