Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eval and request for more info!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Eval and request for more info! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 08:48
Hi Stacey,

wanted to see if I could get a profile evaluation. It would also be great to know a bit more services you offer related to essay writing. Below is my info:

GMAT: 730 (Q46, V44)
GPA: 4.0/5.0 (at MIT)
Yrs Work Exp: 3

To give a little more detail, I've been a consultant for 3 years, the first year at a big firm that does organization / strategy work, the last two at a smaller firm that does negotiation consulting (in the Northeast). I made the switch to the smaller to get more responsibility, and have been able to take on tons more, run a lot of projects on my own, and do some interesting things.

My concern is that my GPA is relatively low. I'm hoping that the fact that I went to MIT helps account for that, though I also think that a big reason for the low GPA was because things were taught in a very theoretical way that didn't feel practical or useful. I anticipate doing better in B school because 1) I have work experience that allows me to apply learnings and understand the context of anything theoretical and 2) B school curriculums are less theoretical.

In addition, I do a bunch of volunteer negotiation work with the US military and a couple of military academies, and I will likely be volunteering some time to head to Afghanistan to help with some negotiations in the field there.

I'm hoping to go to a top school (as many of us on here are!), and am looking at HBS, Tuck, and Darden in particular. Do these feel reasonable? Any advice around the low GPA?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Eval and request for more info! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 14:05
Expert's post
Hi MIT08Mike,

I think you absolutely have a shot at a top business school. Your GMAT score is excellent and, particularly at a competitive school such as MIT, your undergraduate GPA will not be as much of a factor as you believe.

If you'd like, we provide free 30 minute phone consultations where we can talk more about your application. You can sign up here:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap