Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eval: Please tell me I stand a chance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Eval: Please tell me I stand a chance [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2014, 16:44
31, White male, US

-Eight years as a financial analyst (business operations and FP&A) for a top defense contractor. Steady promotions, increases in work scope and responsibility, bosses praise me. I’ve led special projects but as an individual contributor, I have no traditional management experience.

-I just began my GMAT prep, taking the test in a couple of months. Practice scores were high 600’s to 710 with barely any studying (q: 39, v: 45). I’m positive I can bring quant up with some refreshers/strategy.

-UCLA ‘06, Econ major, 3.1 GPA.
No excuses for GPA. Just got distracted by my new-found freedom. It took me a little while to develop my inner motivation. I know better now.
If I took some online quantitative classes, would it boost my case here?

-I have no significant extracurriculars or community service since high school. I get the distinct impression that this is a huge mark against me but I'm not sure anything can be done about it now.

-I'm working on getting my FP&A cert in early 2015 (somewhat equivalent to CPA but for different discipline).

-I’m aiming for the best school I can get into that offers an online option or part-time option in California (Indiana, MBA@UNC, Carnegie Mellon, AZ State, Santa Clara, etc.)
My dream is UCLA or Berkeley... If I somehow got a 760+ GMAT and submitted well-prepared essays/application, would these be possible?

-I’m typically a very strong essay writer so I think that could be a real positive for my application. My recommendations would be from former bosses (middle managers) who would have great things to say about me but aren't really influencers in the corporation.

-My goal is to get into financial analysis/business strategy at a major tech company (Google, Apple, etc.) since they seem to be enthusiastic recruiters of MBAs.

If I tell a cohesive story, put together a great application, score 710+ GMAT, maybe take a quant course or two before applying, do I stand a chance at making it into a good school?

Thanks for the help.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [1] , given: 0

Re: Eval: Please tell me I stand a chance [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. It sounds like you have a decent handle/assessment on what your areas of strength and weakness are. You are a somewhat 'older' than average applicant but less so when focusing on part time or online programs. Yes you should focus a lot on that GMAT!! Especially to help somewhat overcome that lower GPA. And yes if you were able to enroll in a course, particularly a relevant quant or business course that is graded and get an A (or two), certainly that would be a plus.

Haas would be a stretch. UCLA could be a bit more reasonable as they have a much higher acceptance rate for PT; with a strong GMAT. Online programs would likely be fairly within-reach in many cases. The other schools you have mentioned sound reasonable. Not sure if you are considering USC Marshall but their part-time program has a high acceptance rate. You could also look at UC Davis among others.

Focus on what you CAN still change-- namely the GMAT and your essays! ;) Keep us posted on questions and your progress, good luck to you!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php