Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluate a Poet's profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Evaluate a Poet's profile [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 12:15
Hi Guys,

First of all, let me just plug for your book - The MBA Game Plan. I read the book cover to cover three times and will recommend it to everyone applying for business school.

I guess my profile fits in with what you refered to as "Poet" in the book. Please evaluate my school selection and provide any feedbacks on what I can do to improve. (I am currently signing up for accounting/statistic classes at a local community college)

Background: 25 years old, first generation Chinese American.
GPA: 3.3 (while working full time in junior and senior year)
Education: Bachelor with design degree
GMAT: 760 (99%) Quant 50 (95%) Verbal 42 (96%) AWA 5.5 (87%)

Schools under consideration:
Yale SOM
Duke Fuqua
UC Berkley Haas
UCLA Anderson
USC Marshall
UNC Kenan Flagler

Thank you!

Last edited by greenclover on 23 May 2006, 20:26, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 17:58
Expert's post
Wow, I think you have a pretty compelling profile. No doubt because you've read our book multiple times. ;-)

Seriously, I think you've actually got a more well-rounded experience than a typical "poet." In addition to your architecture training, which I know is very rigorous, you've definitely gained a lot of exposure to the business side of things. Your community design team experience (where you secured $100K in funding and led a large team) alone is a big accomplishment that took more than just arhictecture skills. That one experiende probably allows you to showcase all four of the dimensions that we discuss in the book. Definitely don't be shy about showcaisng this.

Also, I think your overall story ties together very well. You know exactly what you want, and you've been working toward it for years already. I think your reasons for wanting an MBA now make perfect sense.

I'm not sure of your reasons for targeting those specific schools, although you probably were looking for schools that will provide at least some exposure to non-profit and public-sector jobs. I'd even say that I think you have a compelling enough profile to make it worth taking a shot at two or three top-five schools. But, only do that if you're truly interested in them. If you're most interested in Haas and Yale, for example, then definitely go for them at full speed.

I hope that helps. I bet you're going to do well!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 09:21
Thanks for the encouragement Scott. You are right, the schools I have selected all have some public exposure, more community based, strong in social responsibility, and not "totally finace oriented".

Two of the schools (Duke, Yale) I selected have a joint degree with School of Environemtal Study that I am interested in pursuing. Berkley, USC and UCLA, due to their locations, all have strong connection to real estate, developement and retail sectors. UNC has a strong sustainable enterprise program. I am looking to narrow this list down.

I will take your advice and consider one of the Ultra Elites. I didn't think my non-typical profile stood a chance applying to the likes of HBS or Stanford. But I should follow the book's advice and look into a few "reach" schools. Based on my profile, which ultra elite school would you recommend me looking into?

Thanks again!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 16:44
Expert's post
> I didn't think my non-typical profile stood a chance applying to the
> likes of HBS or Stanford.

Then you'd better read our book for a fourth time. :-) Seriously, don't believe that at all. Applicants tend to never totally believe us when we say this, but those applicants with somewhat unusual applications are at an advantage vs. their more traditional peers, as long as they show the traits that will make them good business people. I think you fit that description.

I honestly don't know what schools are the best in terms of real estate, but Columbia (for its location) makes obvious sense. Also, don't be shy about applying to HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Chicago, Michigan, or Wharton (as long as you're truly interested in them). I really think you have a good shot at the top tier. I'm biased towards Kellogg :), but you can't go wrong with any of the above.

If they don't appeal to you, though, don't force it. You've obviously done your homework and know what programs will fit you best.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews