Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluate me!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Evaluate me! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 04:48
I'm interested in a supply chain management program, as a kind of career change, and hope to at least get accepted into a top 25 SCM program (Hoping for top 10).

I have a background in education (degree from 2nd-tier state school) with a 3.6 GPA.
I don't have a degree in business, or a 'big name' business job, but I do own 2 small businesses. Both are profitable and highly successful, but on a relatively small scale.
I have a ton of international work experience, I've worked in 5 countries including a lot of time in China. However, this experience is related to my educational background, or is freelance consulting/product development stuff. Both of my companies have a global client base.
I've just managed to find a really nice short-term position until programs next year start with a highly-regarded Chinese/HK SC firm.

GMAT: 680 (no studying....pretty much only got Verbal questions wrong. I'd say with relative confidence I can get a 720)

Solid language skills- Mandarin, French, Dutch, English of course, and basic Cantonese/Shanghainese (I'm not Chinese!).
Lots of experience as a musician/conductor and have performed with orchestras all over the US and some internationally.
All the computer skills one would except from a qualified applicant, although I have solid programming skills too.
Some various scholarship stuff, but my school isn't really that impressive.
I do a lot of writing, some of which is incorporated into my business, and which I would assume is a coveted skill...
Something else that is interesting is that I have a really impressive personal stock portfolio, maybe I can leverage this into convincing the AC I'm not a clueless teacher....

Targets: Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio State, Tepper, Wisconsin, Penn State, Rotterdam (any idea if European schools are worth it?),...I guess I'll throw Wharton/Sloan in there too :-D . There are others which are highly regarded, but don't quite have the same SCM reputation, like Fuqua which I'll probably apply to as well. (Any more suggestions??)

I'm very realistic about this, and realize that with my background, I probably have a slim chance at a top 10 even with a 750. I am curious to know if with my recent committment to the field, crazy diverse background AND a 720 GMAT, I'll be able to give places like Michigan a run. I hope to gain a better idea about how I should attack the application process, given my background.

Plan on applying R1 2013-2014, and have reasonably solid recommendations.

Post-MBA goal would be consulting (a mid/upper name-brand firm), or working with multinationals.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluate me! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 15:09
Expert's post
ssfuturemba wrote:
I'm interested in a supply chain management program, as a kind of career change, and hope to at least get accepted into a top 25 SCM program (Hoping for top 10).

I have a background in education (degree from 2nd-tier state school) with a 3.6 GPA.
I don't have a degree in business, or a 'big name' business job, but I do own 2 small businesses. Both are profitable and highly successful, but on a relatively small scale.
I have a ton of international work experience, I've worked in 5 countries including a lot of time in China. However, this experience is related to my educational background, or is freelance consulting/product development stuff. Both of my companies have a global client base.
I've just managed to find a really nice short-term position until programs next year start with a highly-regarded Chinese/HK SC firm.

GMAT: 680 (no studying....pretty much only got Verbal questions wrong. I'd say with relative confidence I can get a 720)

Solid language skills- Mandarin, French, Dutch, English of course, and basic Cantonese/Shanghainese (I'm not Chinese!).
Lots of experience as a musician/conductor and have performed with orchestras all over the US and some internationally.
All the computer skills one would except from a qualified applicant, although I have solid programming skills too.
Some various scholarship stuff, but my school isn't really that impressive.
I do a lot of writing, some of which is incorporated into my business, and which I would assume is a coveted skill...
Something else that is interesting is that I have a really impressive personal stock portfolio, maybe I can leverage this into convincing the AC I'm not a clueless teacher....

Targets: Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio State, Tepper, Wisconsin, Penn State, Rotterdam (any idea if European schools are worth it?),...I guess I'll throw Wharton/Sloan in there too :-D . There are others which are highly regarded, but don't quite have the same SCM reputation, like Fuqua which I'll probably apply to as well. (Any more suggestions??)

I'm very realistic about this, and realize that with my background, I probably have a slim chance at a top 10 even with a 750. I am curious to know if with my recent committment to the field, crazy diverse background AND a 720 GMAT, I'll be able to give places like Michigan a run. I hope to gain a better idea about how I should attack the application process, given my background.

Plan on applying R1 2013-2014, and have reasonably solid recommendations.

Post-MBA goal would be consulting (a mid/upper name-brand firm), or working with multinationals.

The diversity of your experience will probably improve your chances of acceptance, especially the global nature of it, but you need to provide rationale for your change of profession. They won't hold it against you. ;-) but it should make sense. If you do get a 720 and can make sense of your career path, you also do have a chance in the top 10.

Do you want me to suggest schools based on the 680?

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluate me! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 01:19
Wow, thank you for the positive reply!

I'm interested in suggestions across all ranges - I plan on applying to several on each level so I'm assured of a spot (hopefully).

Do you have any advice about how to attack my explanation? I almost feel that if I'm honest the AC will think that I'm indecisive.........
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluate me! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 21:47
Expert's post
ssfuturemba wrote:
Wow, thank you for the positive reply!

I'm interested in suggestions across all ranges - I plan on applying to several on each level so I'm assured of a spot (hopefully).

Do you have any advice about how to attack my explanation? I almost feel that if I'm honest the AC will think that I'm indecisive.........

If it makes sense, it makes sense. And probably the truth will make a lot more sense than something you make up. Admissions committees know that people sometimes change their mind. Or start down one path and then pursue a different direction. That's OK. Just provide reasons for a few of the more prominent zigs and zags.

If you get the 720, consider MIT and it's LGO program. Also consider Kellogg and its MMM program. Those are probably among the best.

If you raise it somewhat, also consider Ross and CMU Tepper. If you apply with the 680, you can still try for Ross and CMU Tepper, but also consider Michigan State, Penn State, and Purdue. Rotterdam is supposed to be excellent for SCM, but if you want to work in the U.S., you're probably better off going to school here. It's not impossible to come back, but your network will be strongest in the geographic region/country/continent where the school is located.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Evaluate me! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you for your help and advice!

It's encouraging to hear that my background is accepted at B-schools.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluate me! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 21:34
Expert's post
ssfuturemba wrote:
Thank you for your help and advice!

It's encouraging to hear that my background is accepted at B-schools.

You're most welcome. Good luck with it!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553