Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Re: Evaluate me please! Aiming top European B-schools [#permalink]
alaya89,
You have a strong, specific explanation for your GPA and a high GMAT score, so I would not worry about your GPA, especially since you have time to raise your GPA. When you apply, you should explain the effect that your condition had on your GPA. Otherwise, you are doing all the right things. Look for a long-term extracurricular that will enable you to demonstrate leadership. You will be competitive at HEC and most other top schools if you keep doing what you're doing. Business schools love applicants who work for family businesses, in particular, LBS, Kellogg, HBS, Wharton, Columbia, and EDHEC.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.topmba.guru/testimonials

alaya89 wrote:
Hey, I am a 2nd year student (20-yr-old) from a top Canadian university who will finish B.Arts spring 2015. I can graduate with a Honor Double Major with Management Science if stay an extra year, but I really want to move somewhere warmer because of chronic myocarditis.

Currently have:

-GMAT: 750

-ECs:
1. Analyst, Investment Club (2 years)
2. Head of Business Case Translating and Proofreading Group, University Business School (1 year)
3. Activity coordinator, Student Development Centre (2 years)

-Internship
1. Associate Analyst (2 months), Metropolitan Bank
2. Taxation Analyst (2 months), Deloitte

-Working experience:

1. Started a personalized magazine publishing company with a friend, including real-place store and web store. (from 2007 to 2012), This organization is still running and making profits.
(sold my share to friend after went to university, also quit management team but still work as part-time exhibition representative)

2. Take part in decision making process, daily operation and marketing activities of family consulting firm which focuses primarily on taxation planning, financial advising and so on (since Grade 8)
(current Cooperate Representative for subsidiary company of another city )

-GPA
Worst part. Everything good in autumn, and starts from december my chronic myocarditis becomes a torture. During the past 2 years, I spent at least one month at home, while one semestre is just 3 months. I have to spend half of summer to study. After repeating 2 failed classes my CGPA is around 75% but my school mark with numerical system so maybe lower than 3.00.

For the future career plan, I would like to be familiar with European and/or States taxation policies by working for about 15 years in consulting firms, and then return to work for my family Smile

Can anyone provide me some advice regarding my application? I am still wondering which programme of HEC would be better, although I have strong emotional attachement to Grande Ecoles (want to go there since middle school, my B.Arts is French), I somehow doubt with my GPA. Also, could someone suggest other French/European B-schools? The States would also be great. Thanks!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
alaya89 wrote:
Hey, I am a 2nd year student (20-yr-old) from a top Canadian university who will finish B.Arts spring 2015. I can graduate with a Honor Double Major with Management Science if stay an extra year, but I really want to move somewhere warmer because of chronic myocarditis.

Currently have:

-GMAT: 750

-ECs:
1. Analyst, Investment Club (2 years)
2. Head of Business Case Translating and Proofreading Group, University Business School (1 year)
3. Activity coordinator, Student Development Centre (2 years)

-Internship
1. Associate Analyst (2 months), Metropolitan Bank
2. Taxation Analyst (2 months), Deloitte

-Working experience:

1. Started a personalized magazine publishing company with a friend, including real-place store and web store. (from 2007 to 2012), This organization is still running and making profits.
(sold my share to friend after went to university, also quit management team but still work as part-time exhibition representative)

2. Take part in decision making process, daily operation and marketing activities of family consulting firm which focuses primarily on taxation planning, financial advising and so on (since Grade 8)
(current Cooperate Representative for subsidiary company of another city )

-GPA
Worst part. Everything good in autumn, and starts from december my chronic myocarditis becomes a torture. During the past 2 years, I spent at least one month at home, while one semestre is just 3 months. I have to spend half of summer to study. After repeating 2 failed classes my CGPA is around 75% but my school mark with numerical system so maybe lower than 3.00.

For the future career plan, I would like to be familiar with European and/or States taxation policies by working for about 15 years in consulting firms, and then return to work for my family Smile

Can anyone provide me some advice regarding my application? I am still wondering which programme of HEC would be better, although I have strong emotional attachement to Grande Ecoles (want to go there since middle school, my B.Arts is French), I somehow doubt with my GPA. Also, could someone suggest other French/European B-schools? The States would also be great. Thanks!

Well the first thing I'd ask you is: How is your French?
Because as you may or may not know, you can always try to apply to the French programs, and then you pay well.. what the French pay to go to school… what is it? like 500 Euros a semester? :)

Of course you have to compete with all the great French students. (and of course it is not an MBA, but a Masters… but anyhow you are too inexperienced for an MBA, which will require at least three years of Work Experience, and even more in Europe). So if you were a French speaker, you could apply directly to the Grandes Ecoles and see how that works out.

Your other real option would be not MBA programs, but MiM programs in Europe. With your GMAT, you should have a shot at HEC, although your low GPA might make the number one Euro MiM program in LBS a bit tough.

Does this help?
I hope so.
Best,
GMAT Club Bot