Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluate my schedule, please.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Evaluate my schedule, please. [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 16:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone!

After reading many posts, I have created my own schedule for GMAT. It doesn't bring anything new because I have used two very good study plans: topher (Please evaluate my study schedule) and WMW (Gmat Study Plan).

My idea has been to summarize all advises that I could get from the forum (study plan no longer than 3 months, 20 hours per week, practice CAT every week.). I would like to know if everything is ok or I am missing something.

By the way, I haven't taken any test yet, but I am expecting doing it not so well, around 400/500. Also, I have given the same amount of time for both verbal and quantitative sections. I am not good on Math, but English is not my mother tongue...

I really appreciate any advice coming from the experience.

Thanks for your help.

STUDY PLAN

Target Score: 680/720

START: August 12
    END: October 27

TOTAL HOURS: 220 (20h/week)
    TOTAL WEEKS: 11 (2m 3w)

Quantitative: 80h
    Verbal: 80h
    Review:60h

QUANTITATIVE

TOTAL HOURS: 80h(20h/week)
    TOTAL WEEKS: 4

START: August 13
    END: September 10

Books:

VERBAL
    TOTAL HOURS: 80h(20h/week)
    TOTAL WEEKS: 4

START: September 13
    END: October 8

Books:

Attachments

GMAT_Schedule.xls [271 KiB]
Downloaded 55 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Evaluate my schedule, please. [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 17:47
I'd recommend frontloading your schedule with more review and less CAT practice early on. In other words get a good base of knowledge before you start using up your (limited) CAT practice tests. That way, your CAT results will be more indicative of where you'll actually end up, will show you the areas that you might need to go back and review again, and you can hit CATs hard closer to the actual test without running out of them.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluate my schedule, please. [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 07:29
Thank you. It makes sense to me. Do you think it is better to start around the 3rd week? In this week, I should be finishing all books.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Evaluate my schedule, please. [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 07:48
If you'll be finishing all the review books by then, well then, yes, all you have left to do is practice. So I'd say hit the GMAT Review books interspersed with full length CAT tests (and maybe GMAT Club tests if you are so inclined). Also, if you are going to be done with your review this early, you might think about rescheduling your test for an earlier date. Unless you feel the need to go back and re-review some material (not a bad idea for stuff you continue to have issues with), 8 weeks of straight practice is A LOT. You don't want to burn yourself out or start getting sloppy. At some point, you will probably start to see your practice scores plateau, and unless you are unsatisfied with the scores you are getting and feel that there is something else you can spend time on to improve them, then I'd say at that point just take the real test.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2134

Kudos [?]: 7263 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Evaluate my schedule, please. [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 07:50
Expert's post
I love the spreadsheet!!!
I think the schedule looks good. I will add it to the gmat calendar section.

You are a bit aggressive on timing but should be able to make it. See how it goes in a month

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluate my schedule, please. [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 11:12
Thanks madammepsychosis!!

Code:
"If you are going to be done with your review this early, you might think about rescheduling your test for an earlier date."

Well, that's my intention (to be done with your review this early). The schedule is an estimate. Probably I will need to readjust the schedule according to my performance.

Code:
Unless you feel the need to go back and re-review some material (not a bad idea for stuff you continue to have issues with),

I probably will need a re-re, and re again, re-view. I want to eat, breath, and perspire GMAT for 11 weeks. I hope that works for me (usually it works). I think GMAT is the kind of project that you have to be able to establish a start/end date. Otherwise, GMAT can become something like a chronic disease.

Code:
At some point, you will probably start to see your practice scores plateau, and unless you are unsatisfied with the scores you are getting and feel that there is something else you can spend time on to improve them, then I'd say at that point just take the real test.

I will do that. I will take the real test when I see that my score doesn't improve or the improvement is too little (this is a good sign to bear it in mind). Then, I should assume this the maximum that my brain can give.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluate my schedule, please. [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 11:20
Code:
I love the spreadsheet!!! I will add it to the gmat calendar section.

Thanks bb. It can be useful for people like me, who needs to write down everything and have an estimate in terms of hours/weeks/work load...

Code:
I think the schedule looks good. You are a bit aggressive on timing but should be able to make it.

Now I am confident that the schedule is "realistic". This schedule is based in comments/advises/experience of GMAT test takers, so it should be good. I hope I can get the score that I need.

Let's see in a month how I am performing.
Re: Evaluate my schedule, please.   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2010, 11:20