Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluate Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Evaluate Please [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 20:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I had posted in the other forum but I was advised to post here as well as I can get expert advise. Please see my profile below:

* Total experience in IT: 10 years
* Nationality: Indian
* Non-native English speaker

Academic:
* - Scored 62% - First Class in my BS Computer Science from a top 100 engineering college in India
* - 9/10 in my finishing school.
* - GMAT practice tests are indicating 700.

Career:
Started at a low end company immediately after graduation.I missed a few chances at the tier-1 companies as i did not have a challenging score.However I performed well and within months I was confirmed as an employee from a trainee.I moved to a tier-1 company in India and then to US for consulting work. I did well in consulting and was in the US for 4 years and moved back to India in order to grow in a booming economy. I joined Oracle in their ERP development center and worked for 2 years.I then moved to my current company, where I joined as a project lead and within a year I became a project manager.
I currently manage ERP support for 2 UK based companies and frequently travel to UK on business.

References:
*- My current manager, a General Manager with a top tier IT company, a fortune 500 company.
*- Oracle Practice head,a top tier IT company, a fortune 500 company.

Groups:
*- Currently a volunteer for Art of living, a yoga group based world wide
*- Member of Rotary club in college
*- Prizes for dramatics and spoofs in college

Extracurricular:
*- take part in charity drives within the company I work
*- Avid practitioner of Yoga

Goals:
My goal in doing a MBA program is to first develop into a senior technology executive and then move into overall company operations. In the past 10 years I believe a MBA program will help me develop business skills which are crucial to be a strong leader in any organization.I have lots of "on-the-job business training," but am looking for some rigorous business classes, particularly in finance/accounting. I also see an MBA as a factor in helping me get future promotions.

Current Plans for future:
I plan to take a sabbatical from work, join get a MBA degree and get back to helping my current organization in growing furthur and sharing my experience.

Questions:
1.I am aware that I dont bring much to the table apart from experience. So is a score of 700 on GMAT good to get me to top 50?
2. What else can i do as i want to take the test in September 08.
3.Should i do E-MBA instead? what are the advantages or lack of it vis-a-vis a regular MBA.
(Doing a part time MBA is not suited for me as I reside in India and generally a part time MBA is frowned upon and has no real value.)
4.Are there good schools in Europe ie in top 50? Worth the money and time? And how stringent are they in terms of GMAT and other fitments compared to US schools.I am hoping that my job experience will get the due weighage.
5. If we do a full time MBA in any country most placements happen there. US is not a problem for me, but do they do the same for European/Aus schools and how good are they?

Comments:
I am doing this MBA simply to add value to what I am currently doing. I am a projects manager and manage two - three team. I am in charge of delivery of high end software products and handle routine things like people,invoices and clients. I plan to do the MBA simply to enhance my skills and gain tools and techniques to do my job better. Of course, it will help me grow up the ladder faster, ithat s besides the point.

My profile might be similar to many others, but I simply believe that I have an edge in terms of actual experience and the current position that I am in, "management". That plus a good score, I hope to get into a "good" school. Now, how good the school is, I have nt come to that part yet. I am just going over my basics, getting ready for the GMAT.

Meanwhile, I am also told that my profile would suit Exec MBA. Please can you advise on the same and if it is worth spending money on it. As I am in India, any EMBA from a good school is going to cost money. And EMBA from India is worthless. I might as well not do it. Pls advise.

As far as my career is concerned, I am planning to pursue in technology simply because this is where I have been for 10 years now and moving away to finance etc doesnt make sense (or does it?)

I would like to come back to this industry, whether in india or US or Europe does not make a difference. But yes, I would prefer international simply for the exposure it brings.(and the money).That is the reason I want to get to US. But again a EMBA or part time in US does not make sense due to the costs involved. And if i cant get into a full time, I might as well try Europe full time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluate Please [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 21:31
700 is definitely enough to get into a top 50.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluate Please [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 00:15
I think you might have a good chance with a top 30 program.

A 700 is a good score. However, with the number of years of WE that you have, why not consider an EMBA or accelerated program especially if you intend to return to your current organization post-mba. A full-time program for you may not make as much sense especially if you have no need to utilize an internship to pursue a new function in a new vertical. M2C.

-M

Last edited by mlchang616 on 23 Jul 2008, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

Re: Evaluate Please [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 04:29
Try to improve your GMAT score. 700 is lower than others in your demographic. And, unfortunately, many programs appear to be "tending younger" so 10 years of experience is something that you might need to twist and make a positive. There isn't anything you can do about it now, so figure out a way to keep the adcoms from thinking it's a bad thing ( I have no idea why the think it's a bad thing.)

The advice about the EMBA seems to be good advice.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Evaluate Please   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2008, 04:29