Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluate profil - french, 26yo, M - targeting H/S/W/I/etc.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Evaluate profil - french, 26yo, M - targeting H/S/W/I/etc. [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 03:19
Hi all,

I would greatly appreciate if you could give me your opinion on my profile.

French, 26yo, Male

Education:
- BSc in a top 5 french school - average grades (12/20)
(international exchange in unknow Californian school-6 months, GPA 3.7)
- MSc in a top 3 UK school - average grades (pass)
(international exchange in best Italian school-6 months)

Gmat:
690 (Q49-V34)

Professional background:
- Five internships in strategy and marketing, including two small ones abroad. The last ones being 12 and 6 months (Assistant brand manager in a big FMCG company working on a brand name switch for a major brand ; Assistant of the CEO of a small luxury retailer)
- Three years in a top US strategy consulting firm (at least top 10) in London, with a few projects outside Europe. Good evaluations - one promotion.

Extra-curricular:
- Quite a lot of activities in political think tank while in Bachelor
- Ran several marathons (time: 3h30) for an association supporting blind people - fundraised £1000 everytime
- Active member of the association supporting blind people

Languages:
4 common European languages spoken

Post-MBA goals:
Finding a top job (strategy or finance) in a major Telco company in order to reach top management or switch later to PE. (Can probably make a nice essay explaining the coherence between my work experience, telco and my work with blind people?)

Target schools:
- H/S/W + Insead
- MIT/Columbia + LBS

Any insight/comment will help me.
Concerning the Gmat, would you say it's interesting to repass it to get 700/720 and balance a bit more the low GPA? (I have time to pass it)

Thank you very much.

Ben
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluate profil - french, 26yo, M - targeting H/S/W/I/etc. [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
You profile is very strong for INSEAD in my opinion.

As for US school, H/S are pretty much reaches for most people so it's hard to say anyone have great odds, however if your "top consulting firm" is M/B/B catagory then you're odds go up significantly.

As with the others, same goes with M/B/B or not.. if you are from deloitte, ATK, accenture level, then your profile becomes fairly common (albeit strong). You're GPA, GMAT is average when compared to the your consulting peers. The International experience would make you stand out so it is how you write you essays (cliche, I know).

So I think the X-factor is which consulting firm you are working at. M/B/B more than likely for I/W/C and a fair shot at H/S. If you are not. then you become fair shot at W/C and more than likely for I, and stretch for H/S.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Evaluate profil - french, 26yo, M - targeting H/S/W/I/etc. [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 09:29
Thank you very much for these insights. It is useful for me :-D

You mentionned my company in second position of your second group.

This profile is just a bit in the future and I could improve my profile through different things:
- 5 months project in Telco in Africa (several countries),
- repassing the gmat,
- mention the fact that I travelled alone three months in Asia and SouthAm after college (in an essay about importance of international factor to me).
Would these help?

Thank you again for spending your time helping, I appreciate.

Ben

P.S. The fact that I travelled three months alone in Asia and South America
Intern
Intern

Re: Evaluate profil - french, 26yo, M - targeting H/S/W/I/etc. [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 09:32
I posted my profile in the "Ask Consultants" part just before your answer. Nothing to do with me not being satisfied with your answer for sure!
Ben
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 6

Re: Evaluate profil - french, 26yo, M - targeting H/S/W/I/etc. [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 11:36
This post received
KUDOS
Ben,
Spin the international experience to the MAX! Weave it through all your essays..

"The distribution is fat-tailed relative to the normal distribution"
~ Eugene Fama Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Intern
Intern

Re: Evaluate profil - french, 26yo, M - targeting H/S/W/I/etc. [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 12:49
Mustachio411 wrote:
Ben,
Spin the international experience to the MAX! Weave it through all your essays..

Yet, it looks like it could be my strong point.

The targets sound ok to you?

Thanks for your help.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Schools: Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 6

Re: Evaluate profil - french, 26yo, M - targeting H/S/W/I/etc. [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 13:02
Target schools sound within reach (in my opinion)...
Take the following advice with a grain of salt:
The career goals seem kind of cookie cutter and you might have to give a VERY good reason why you want to get into those fields. Try and add a bit of social awareness and weave that in too!
Btw which school in France did you go to? I was at ULP for my DEA !

"The distribution is fat-tailed relative to the normal distribution"
~ Eugene Fama Professor of Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Intern
Intern

Re: Evaluate profil - french, 26yo, M - targeting H/S/W/I/etc. [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 15:04
Hi!

Thanks again for the advice, it all sounds like good information.

I am currently maturing my post-MBA project. As a consultant it makes sense to go to B-School from my point of view.

After that I have three paths I consider: back to consulting but in M/B/B, Private Equity (Cap Development, but it's probably a bit early) or finding a good position in a Telco company.

I think I can justify the last one quite clearly:
After having made a couple of very interesting projects around the world in telco, I would like to make things happening by myself, see my concrete achievements and get some management responsability.
I've always been very interested by Telco/Media: I have some very decent internships in journalism before college (when I was willing to be a journalist) and I am convinced my will to help blind people has to do with it (worked on way to improve their access to internet, mobile phones, etc.)
With a bit of work, I hope it can make a decent post-MBA objective.

Regarding social awareness, I don't see how you can claim to be "international, etc." without it.
I will definitively find a coherence between all that and try to prove how important is the link between "international" and my social environment.

Would it make sense to you?

I studied in Paris at Dauphine (but actually lived in Strasbourg when I was young :) )

Thanks for all,

Ben
Re: Evaluate profil - french, 26yo, M - targeting H/S/W/I/etc.   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2010, 15:04