Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation and recommendation for Unique Profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Evaluation and recommendation for Unique Profile [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 15:14
Hi,

I have a question regarding my chances of getting into top 10 or 20 business school for MBA. Currently I am a few years away from applying to these school
as I am only at the start of my career with few months of experience in big 4 accountancy firms in the middle east. I want to know what would I have to do to stand
having a chance of getting into these school with my undergrad degree.

The problem is I have a lower second-class degree (2:2) in applied accounting from oxford brookes university, United kingdom. The Bsc degree was acheived through
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) where you get credits based on the papers passed in ACCA part 2 and in the end you have to submit a thesis.
Degree class is determined by taking an average of the 6 ACCA paper + the grade you acheive for the thesis. Now since I am in the middle east I had to self study ACCA
which led my average to be low around 56% and get a 2:2 degree.

Do I stand a chance with good experience, having ACCA membership and a gmat score in the range of 710+

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluation and recommendation for Unique Profile [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 05:07
Since you're still a few years away from applying to business school, would you consider taking classes at a more well-established univ to get your overall GPA higher? That might be the best bet. Your work experience doesn't feel unique enough to set you apart. Many CPAs will likely be applying at the same time as you, and many might have a more traditional educational background. A good test score will help, but I think getting the GPA up will likely be the best single thing you can do to help your chances at a top program.

hope that helps,
-james young

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluation and recommendation for Unique Profile [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 08:17
Thanks a lot for the reply.
Well I cant take classes at a well established university by western standards here because Oxford Brookes University probably has a better reputation than the best University here in Saudi. To be honest I thought having a big 4 experience from the likes of PWC meant something at least in accounting circles but I guess these universities require something more to distinguish yourself. I've heard they also look at how you've progressed to senior level in your career so maybe that would help.

I might take your advice and try some online programs to increase my overall GPA.

Thanks again for reply. :)
Re: Evaluation and recommendation for Unique Profile   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2012, 08:17