Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation -- Low GPA, heavy work experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Evaluation -- Low GPA, heavy work experience [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 13:38
I'm sure posts like this are everywhere, but I am contemplating pursuing an MBA. My initial major was Hospitality Management from UNLV.

I have not taken the GMAT yet, and my GPA is ~2.7. The reason for the low GPA (which I can explain in an essay) is the fact that I was working 40+ hours a week, since my Sophomore year of high school and I helped start a small business, and I currently work in small business consulting as well as working in a management role in a high volume Las Vegas hotel.

I have experience in hotels, being promoted in my company from one hotel to another, as well as internally when I joined another company. I was also given an internship with the company. During my time in management, I was responsible for over 100+ employees, and multiple departments (Front Desk/Hotel Operations, Bell and Valet) as well as managing under a collective bargaining agreement. Between the two hotels that I worked at, I can show that the projects I worked on helped raise guest survey scores and raise overall revenue for the properties.

The schools I am looking at: NYU (part time), ASU, Boston College/University, UCLA, U of Texas. I am also open to other suggestions.

The main jobs I am looking for with an MBA -- 1) VC/Private Equity 2) Consulting 3) Global expansion of hotel/chains
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluation -- Low GPA, heavy work experience [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 08:41
Expert's post
Hello,

The GPA is very low for the NYU part-time program, UCLA, and Texas, though the other programs may be more feasible with a strong GMAT – I agree also that your explanation will help mitigate the effect. If you have good grades in quant courses, that will also help.

Your work experience is your key strength obviously. However, your goals seem rather vague – it’s good to have a plan A and a plan B, but VC/PE will be very tough, both to justify in essays and to obtain positions. I suggest focusing on one of these areas as your primary short- and long-term goal, with another as a plan B, and explain how this plan B will also get you to your long-term goal.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog