Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation needed please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Evaluation needed please [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2006, 09:29
deleted

Last edited by Positive thinker on 06 Oct 2006, 05:09, edited 3 times in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation needed please [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 11:36
Expert's post
Positive thinker wrote:
Bio:
My parents are immigrants from Croatia and im the only person to go to College in my family here in the U.S. My first language is Croatian and my second is English. Im learning a few other languages.

Stats:
3.38 B+ Cumulative GPA
3.44 B+ GPA (Finance - Major)
3.93 A GPA Economics

Graduated this past December 2005 and my last semester GPA was a 3.82 - A. Took 2 Finance classes, 2 Management classes, 1 Theology classes requirement graduate.

Honors: Deans list 2004 & 2005

Participated in an Honors Finance class called Student Managed Investment Fund managing the University's portfolio of $1.5 Million Dollars. Worked on projects such as Bell South and Microsoft. Took the class twice.

Quantitaive:
Math classes while at college was Pre-Calculus, Calculus and Linear Programing. My grades in these classes were B, A, A- my average GPA was a 3.56. I took five total Economics classes four of them being in the Business school where my GPA for Economics was a 3.93.

Work Experience:
For five summers I worked overseas in Croatia for a freight forwarding firm managing corporate accounts and holding meetings with other firms and local business to support Croatia's economic growth and development for the European Union. Currently i work in a law firm in New York City. Worked at the same firm in 2004 and now work full time.

Application:
One letter of recommnedation i got from the University's assistant who is a very prominant figure with the University and who has pull. The other professor is a well regarded faculty member who mentioned my leadership skills and my work etthic. Both recommneders noted my excellent academic skills and GPA's and recommended me for the program. I have good relations with them and one of the deans for the graduate school.

Problem:
GMATS...never was a good standardized test taker. Im preparing to go for my third attempt. My school wants a score of 400 or more. My question can some one offer me guidance on a excellent Prep Course for example i have heard from a few sources TestPrep NY is really good. My other question would be how to mitigate a low GMAT score in the optional essay which my school says its for extenuating circumstances. Using the information I have provided can someone offer me some good advice on what i can use to develop a great optional essay.

My school of choice:
St. John's University

Thanks.....

Positive Thinker,

You have a distinctive background, so if you can get a decent GMAT score you should be in good shape. I have no personal knowledge of TestPrep NY, but certainly Kaplan and Princeton Review have reputations for boosting applicants' GMAT scores. In terms of mitigating the low GMAT, you can argue that you are not a strong standardized test taker. To do this, however, you will need to refer to some other standardized tests besides the GMAT (SAT or GRE, for example), and show that even though you did poorly on that test your grades that year were high. This evidence can support your case.

Another factor is where your GMAT scores were weak. If it's your verbal score that's dragging you down, then, to some extent, schools will cut you some slack since English is your second language. If your quant score is dragging you down, then you have a problem, and I'm not sure how much the optional essay will help you. However, you could talk about high grades in quant classes, the amount of quant work you do in your job, and any extenuating circumstances that affected your GMAT scores (i.e., factors outside your control the day of the test--though usually these explanations sound uncompelling). Also, you could perhaps take a course or two in some pre-MBA quant courses (and get A's). You can also make sure your recommenders emphasize your quant skills in their letters.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 14:52
Based on Business weeks profile of my school their selectivity percentage was 69% and their yield was 47%. I presume thats good? Could you please clarify?

Thanks........
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2006, 21:22
Expert's post
Positive thinker wrote:
Based on Business weeks profile of my school their selectivity percentage was 69% and their yield was 47%. I presume thats good? Could you please clarify?

Thanks........

It's good in the sense that they admit more than 2 out of every 3 applicants. It's probably not so good in that less than half (47%) of the people they admit wind up going there. That is, it's not the number-one school for at least half of the people they admit.

Your odds of admission are favorable.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2006, 06:04
Just wanted to ask you a few more quesitons if I may......

Based on Business Weeks profile of my school the Middle 80% lies between a 480-530.....One admissions advisor from another school told me to keep in mind that schools will not say that they can go below lets say a 400 to seem like its an easy admit but its true that it does happen and was told that the optional essay helps alot........Just wanted to hear your opinion on that.....The programs are accredited.........And they are not so concerned about the quant and verbal scores they are more concerned with the overall number so I guess thats good too......
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 08:47
Expert's post
Positive thinker wrote:
Just wanted to ask you a few more quesitons if I may......

Based on Business Weeks profile of my school the Middle 80% lies between a 480-530.....One admissions advisor from another school told me to keep in mind that schools will not say that they can go below lets say a 400 to seem like its an easy admit but its true that it does happen and was told that the optional essay helps alot........Just wanted to hear your opinion on that.....The programs are accredited.........And they are not so concerned about the quant and verbal scores they are more concerned with the overall number so I guess thats good too......

Positive thinker,

I had not heard before that schools' deliberately fudge their lowest GMAT threshold to seem more selective, but the admissions advisor's explanation makes intuitive sense. I agree completely that the place where a low GMAT can be effectively compensated for is in the optional essay. I don't think all schools are morec concerned with the overall number than the individual Q and V scores. They want to know that applicants are solid in both verbal and quantitative. Someone with a good overall score but a low quantitative would be a cause for concern.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Manager
Manager

Hey [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 05:38
In terms of getting more time on the GMAT is that possible with a valid report from a Dr.? and what are the chances that i can get one based on my GPA? I have always had anxiety and panic attacks and was wondering if that would be a valid case since the person i spoke to with at GMAC said i could do that...
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hey [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 17:14
Expert's post
Positive thinker wrote:
In terms of getting more time on the GMAT is that possible with a valid report from a Dr.? and what are the chances that i can get one based on my GPA? I have always had anxiety and panic attacks and was wondering if that would be a valid case since the person i spoke to with at GMAC said i could do that...

Yes, if you have a doctor who can support your need for more test-taking time, then GMAC might very well offer you that. However, I don't think your GPA will affect GMAC's decision whether to give you more GMAT time.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Manager
Manager

Re: Evaluation needed please [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2006, 05:08
deleted
Manager
Manager