Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation of my Profile for the top 10 B Schools??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Evaluation of my Profile for the top 10 B Schools?? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2006, 15:28
Hi Scott and Omari,

Your opinion would be much appreciated. I am applying for admission in 2006 for London Business School and Oxford and the same and a few more for 2007.

GMAT - 710 (48 in Quant and 38 in Verbal) and have not yet received my AWA scores.

I received my undergrad degree in Electronics and Electrical Engineering with a First Class (6.5 /10) in 2003 in India. My masters in Human Factors Engineering, in the USA, with a GPA of 3.65/4 in 2005.

I have about a year of internship experience. 6 months in a startup, six months in a medium size company and now work full time at MS as a developer.(Aug 2005 - present)

I initiated a new business and own a major stake in the company, which exports granite stone to the USA and Canada in Dec 2004, while doing my masters in the States.

Extra Curricular and achievements - should be interesting :).

High School -
1. Was the elected Class Representative in all Grades.

2. Won a couple of State level competitions in Athletics and rifle shooting.

3. Awarded the Nation Scholarship for Merit in 1997.( Scored 90% in both my Board Exams in 10th and 12th Grade)

College
1. Was a SGT in the Nation Cadet Corp in my Undergrad. grew up in ranks in 3 yrs. Received A grades in both the 'B' and 'C' Certificate exams held by the Indian Army and the Best Cadet Award in Combined Annual Training Camp.

2. Won the Bronze medal in the Inter -Collegiate Judo Championships.

3. Became the elected President of the Student Union for the University in my Senior yr. Increased the sponsorship inflow by about 600% and struck the highest sponsorship deal with PepsiCo Inc, initiated new student clubs and acquired funds and organized the logistics. Organized Inter and intra Collegiate Cultural and Technical Festivals.

4. Awarded the Best Outgoing Student in 2003 by the University.

I am also actively involved in two social activates:
1. Develop the School and provide facilities for students in Villages.
2. Involved in an Organization that organizes sports activities for the young and provide financial assistance to the elderly.

My goal for MBA is to focus on international business and finance. My career goal is to start new business ventures mainly in exports and expand the existing one. My ultimate goal is to hold public office in India and change the lives of people for the better.

My concerns are
1) My age(24)and less than 2 yrs of work experience.
2) Relatively low GPA in Undergrad, even though it was from the top 10 schools in Engineering, in India.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2006, 18:44
Expert's post
Wow! Pretty impressive profile. You should have no shortage of interesting things to communicate in your application. You will obviously have to make some choices and won't be able to talk about all of it, but I encourage you to make sure that you don't just talk about your work and academics in your application. Make sure that some of these other things (and, more importantly, WHY you do them them) come through.

I'd probably recommend getting at least another year of work experience, though. I think that will just improve your chances. So, while I think that you can get into LBS, I think your chances of getting in will be stronger next year.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Really appreciate your time ... [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2006, 19:04
Thanks scott,

Shall highlight the reason as you had mentioned.

One reason to appy for this fall is : If I do get bumped, atleast i will know why ?? :) :) and I can correct the applications for the next year.

Thanks Again...