Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation of my profile would be greatly appreciated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Evaluation of my profile would be greatly appreciated [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2006, 10:41
Sorry this is a bit long, but I wanted to provide as much as possible without boring you to death!
28 y/o female (29 at matriculation)

Undergrad:
University of Delaware, Finance major
GPA 3.04 : Major GPA (in Business classes) 3.3
My GPA was an abysmal 2.5 freshman year, due to some family issues, I really struggled with being away from home. I consistently raised my grades throughout the 4 years and made Deans List a number of times.
Was the Treasurer of the Panhellenic council during college.

GMAT – 650 44M 35V 84th% overall

I'm still working on my long term goals. Of importance to me in school selection include a program strong in finance, general management and international exposure is also a bonus. I love working in the place where finance and technology converge- it is fascinating and dynamic. I could see myself in an account manager position at a technology company or corporate finance division of a company, or financial software company. ( I know this area needs work for apps)

Work Experience:
2.5 years in an analyst position at a large financial services company that specializes in fixed income custody.
1.5 years at a financial services/Rating Agency institution in a highly quantitative fixed income modeling role. I was laid off from this position after the company sold off the guts of our division. The lay-off was group-wide.
Currently 1+ yrs at a software company that does risk management in the banking industry, in a product manager role, primarily focusing on providing risk solutions and market direction for our product.
Recently promoted to a Relationship Manager position. I work with high profile/high risk clients that require a contact person at our company to ensure that their issues/questions/problems get prioritized and excuted in a timely manner. My responsibilities include working on clients’ specific issues personally and also delegating certain projects to various business areas for completion. I follow the project through until the client is deemed satisfied. Additionally, I provide consulting to clients on-site which includes implementing our solution software, providing new solutions to evolving areas of their business, fixing existing issues. This position has allowed me to take the quantitative skills I have gained in my career, software knowledge learned while at this company and improve on the “softer skillsâ€
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2006, 11:23
For the schools to which you are applying the combination 3.0 and 650 are your biggest weaknesses. The trend upward from Freshman year is a good thing and should help, but adcomm at those schools will likely still have questions about your ability to "hack it". I'm not saying its impossible to get into those schools with that GMAT score, but your probability of acceptance will be impaired. I know it's not what you want to hear, but you should give consideration to giving it another go around with the GMAT. Really put your all into it. If you could just bring it up another 30 points, you would be right in the sweet spot to gain admission to those schools.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2006, 11:58
Thank you for the candid feedback. You're right, it wasnt what I wanted to hear but I know my GMAT is a bit of a weakness. At this point I dont want to sacrifice the quality of my essays and apps by studying again for the GMAT at the same time.

Am I an unlikely candidate at all the schools, even UNC and Georgetown?

I know the answer is that I would be a stronger candidate with even 30 more points. I will definitely consider it and maybe apply to fewer schools to lessen the workload on essays and apps
CIO
CIO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2006, 19:57
I think your idea to target fewer schools is a good one regardless. You should really consider cutting one or two.

I think you would have a decent shot at Georgetown or UNC without taking the GMAT again.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 09:01
I liked one things that you have written in your book, usage of 'optional' essay.

If somebody's GMAT is below the average or middle 80% GMAT score of a target B school, shouldn't writing this 'optional' essay increase the chances? Of course, if candidate has good academics & has taken GMAT 2 to 3 times...
CIO
CIO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 09:17
Yes the optional essay can help, but schools really want to see that you've put your best foot forward onthe GMAT, before you cry uncle. If you've only taken it once and then start talking about how you have test anxiety in the optional essay, it's not going to help you much.