Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation of Reasons for MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Evaluation of Reasons for MBA [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2006, 10:52
I am planning to apply in October, so an essay question may be premature, but...

Without getting too specific, I need an MBA because I want to start a company. My reasons for needed an MBA are valid (I need to know how to talk to venture capitalists for funding, i need to learn about operations, marketing a company, how to eventually expand it, management skills, etc). I already have a Masters in Accounting, a CPA, and have passed the 1st level of the CFA, so I need to supplement my quant skills with management skills previously mentioned. I digress...

Are you evaluated on the actual reason for the MBA? Meaning, yes, I need an MBA to start this company, but will they say, "But this is a bad idea for a company" or "This type of company already exists, so it makes no sense to try and do this?"

Does that make sense?

Thank you.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2006, 17:42
Sorry I'm not Hjort, but I feel the reasons and the way you unfold your statements are very convincing.

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2006, 19:20
This sounds pretty good so far. I would not be too concerned about your business idea being judged on the merits at the application stage unless it is so remote from reality that they question your competence or sanity.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 06:04
Thank you.

Here is my concern: What if the business idea comes from my personal passions. In other words, I can't really support why I want to do this based on my career experience, but it is in line with my personal life...

Is that still valid?

THANK YOU!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2006, 10:23
cfaMiami, you want to keep your focus clear. The purpose of the MBA is to gain the skills and knowledge you will need to run your business. That should satisfy the Admissions people.

The hidden question I sense comes when you think about funding your venture. For that, you need a solid business plan, which is where you will need to support the vision with numbers. How many employees will you need, what sort of equipment and building size, how many customers can you serve and to what degree, etc. You will need to do revenue and cost projections to show your idea is viable. The bad news is, that's a lot of work, and many passionate dreams don't work well in the real world. The good news is, your MBA studies will be tremendously useful in demonstrating the fuctionality of your dream, and in avoiding the dangers and mistakes which plague most businesses.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2006, 15:51
For the essay they ask.. in these application process.. can you pretty much write up your career plan in it? Like dates/what to achieve when etc.. so going in this line of writing that you want to do business.. can you get more specific as to where this will help me in business... etc.. that is pretty much go into the details as to where mba will help me where in this aspect of business?

from my perspective, for example.. If you doing a joint business, can you mention about your other partners going one route, so you are going this other route to get the complete picture so that both of us are ready to run a successfull business?
our plan(me and my brother) is to open up a financial service firm 5 years down the line.. so he is currently doing bachelors of computer science, and then plans to ms in finance(computational or financial engineering) and i get an mba (finance major) so we both of have a complete match, and we match each others weaknesses.. can you mention all this in the essay? (in a more structured way ofcourse?)
  [#permalink] 23 Apr 2006, 15:51

Evaluation of Reasons for MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap