Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation please

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Evaluation please [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 16:08
Hi,

I am from Colombia and I took the GMAT last year and got 680 (V 35, Q 48). I am not sure about re-taking the exam since I would like to study in a leading B-School. My GPA is 95,6% (4,78/5) and I was always the best student (Rank 1). I also studied Music, my first major (I am a professional composer and classical guitar perfomer), after graduating I started to invest (as a private investor, stock market, for instance) and studied at the same time my second major in Internation Business. I graduated this year, so I do not have much work experience after graduation of my second degree, but as I said, I've been investing these years. I did my 6-months internship with Robert Bosch in Germany (I speak 4 languages), and I am now working at an insurance company here in Colombia. It is important for me to study now since I am 30 years old, I have been studying and investing instead of working and it is not my intention to gain more work experience.

How do you see my chances?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4579
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 21:35
Expert's post
juancopi81 wrote:
Hi,

I am from Colombia and I took the GMAT last year and got 680 (V 35, Q 48). I am not sure about re-taking the exam since I would like to study in a leading B-School. My GPA is 95,6% (4,78/5) and I was always the best student (Rank 1). I also studied Music, my first major (I am a professional composer and classical guitar perfomer), after graduating I started to invest (as a private investor, stock market, for instance) and studied at the same time my second major in Internation Business. I graduated this year, so I do not have much work experience after graduation of my second degree, but as I said, I've been investing these years. I did my 6-months internship with Robert Bosch in Germany (I speak 4 languages), and I am now working at an insurance company here in Colombia. It is important for me to study now since I am 30 years old, I have been studying and investing instead of working and it is not my intention to gain more work experience.

How do you see my chances?


You are a non-traditional applicant, but your work experience as a composer and guitarist "counts" too. Your full-time work now in insurance and the investing you did on the side also counts. What schools are you most interested in and what do you want to do after you earn your MBA?
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluation please [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 10:07
Hi Linda,

Thank you very much for your answer. I was thinking about one of the 20-top B-School, MIT would be my dream school I know it is very difficult. Other Schools I am interested in are: Chicago Booth, Simon (Rochester), Hult, Robert H. Smith

After earning my MBA I would like to have my own private investment fund, I have already one, but it is just familiar, I would like to make it bigger.

Once again thank you very much!

Best regards,

Juan Carlos
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4579
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User
Re: Evaluation please [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 22:37
Expert's post
Accepted.com wrote:
juancopi81 wrote:
Hi,

I am from Colombia and I took the GMAT last year and got 680 (V 35, Q 48). I am not sure about re-taking the exam since I would like to study in a leading B-School. My GPA is 95,6% (4,78/5) and I was always the best student (Rank 1). I also studied Music, my first major (I am a professional composer and classical guitar perfomer), after graduating I started to invest (as a private investor, stock market, for instance) and studied at the same time my second major in Internation Business. I graduated this year, so I do not have much work experience after graduation of my second degree, but as I said, I've been investing these years. I did my 6-months internship with Robert Bosch in Germany (I speak 4 languages), and I am now working at an insurance company here in Colombia. It is important for me to study now since I am 30 years old, I have been studying and investing instead of working and it is not my intention to gain more work experience.

How do you see my chances?


You are a non-traditional applicant, but your work experience as a composer and guitarist "counts" too. Your full-time work now in insurance and the investing you did on the side also counts. What schools are you most interested in and what do you want to do after you earn your MBA?


juancopi81 wrote:
Hi Linda,

Thank you very much for your answer. I was thinking about one of the 20-top B-School, MIT would be my dream school I know it is very difficult. Other Schools I am interested in are: Chicago Booth, Simon (Rochester), Hult, Robert H. Smith

After earning my MBA I would like to have my own private investment fund, I have already one, but it is just familiar, I would like to make it bigger.

Once again thank you very much!

Best regards,

Juan Carlos


Juan Carlos,

You're a little harder to assess because of your non-traditional background, but I think a schools would find your high grades, GMAT, international exposure, combination of experience in the arts and in financial services appealing. The negatives are reduced traditional business experience. This can be addressed. Consider NYU Stern, Columbia, Yale, and Cornell. Booth and MIT are stretch programs, but I think it makes sense for you to give them a try. I wouldn't be shocked if you got in. You are more competitive at Smith and Simon and Hult. You may also want to consider LBS if you want to consider a European program.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic Please evaluate.. Canis lupus 3 23 Sep 2005, 07:32
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic please evaluate M53895 1 20 Oct 2005, 16:43
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic Please evaluate rigger 5 11 Nov 2005, 10:44
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic Please evaluate.. rameshdhiman 1 08 Jan 2006, 08:21
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic evaluation please conocieur 1 28 Apr 2006, 15:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Evaluation please

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.