Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.76
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:20
Hi, I decided last summer that I want to make a career switch to private equity or hedge fund management and that I want to pursue a JD/MBA in 2014. Here are my numbers at the moment:

Undergrad:
Top 30, 3.76, Class of 2011
Finance Major/Mathematics Minor
Magna Cum Laude
Phi Beta Kappa/Beta Gamma Sigma
Top Finance Major
President of a business fraternity, treasurer of club sports team, treasurer of religious organization, member of the undergrad business school student board, I can list extracurriculars forever

Work Experience:
3 years at matriculation
Financial sector management consultant (business side) at a top IT-focused company (one of Accenture, IBM, Deloitte)
Won an award for service excellence
Promoted after 2 years to post-MBA starting level (standard for the program that I'm in). This is an assumption at the moment
Working in wealth management group (assumed) doing systems implementations. Have worked on corporate finance and insurance projects too, all at Fortune 100 companies. Current client is a top feeder for business schools

Scores:
780 GMAT 51q/45v on first try
169 LSAT (will retake in June)

Essays:
Essays will be about how in college, I discovered my passion for management and investing and realized that private equity would be the best way to put this passion into practice. I decided to start in management consulting so I could learn how large companies operate at a high level and see which business processes can add significant value to companies.

Law school acceptances are relatively easy to predict, so I'm primarily concerned about my MBA program chances. My top choices are Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Stanford, and Duke in no particular order. Penn and Northwestern seem to have the most integrated JD/MBA programs, fit my needs nicely, and only require one application, so I'm most interested in my chances at those 2 programs if I apply R1. I'll apply in R1 or R2 for at least 3 of the 5 other programs that I mentioned.

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Evaluation Please [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 09:38
As you accurately state, law school admissions is much easier to predict given your LSAT/GPA combination. Right now, your LSAT scores is on the low side of many of the schools you are targeting. So, just to repeat your intentions, repeat the test and make sure that you score in the appropriate range. The one good thing about law school is that it is getting easier and easier to get into each year, so stay on top of trends and information as your status may actually be better than it was in prior years.

As for b-school admissions, it is much more difficult to predict and a lot more depends upon the quality of your application -- including essays, recommendations, interview, etc. This part of the process is also much more time consuming and challenging that filing the simple personal statement for law school - and given the amount of work may limit the number of schools you might apply to. Based on what you present here, you would be a strong candidate at almost every school you mention. Admissions to HBS and Stanford are always unpredictable and I really do not see the levels of leadership that HBS is seeking or the level of innovation that Stanford is seeking. However, for all the other schools you have listed here, you will be a very competitive candidate.

I agree that you are a R1 quality candidate for b-schools. Again, this is a lot of work so try to pace yourself to get as many in by the early October deadline. Remember that it is just not work for you, but also for all your recommenders as you are applying to a large number of programs.

With strong applications to all of these schools, you will be competitive at most of these programs. I know that you point out the integrated Penn and Northwestern programs, but Columbia also integrated its JD/MBA program a few years ago too so take a closer look at this.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Evaluation Please   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2013, 09:38