Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

evaluation request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

evaluation request [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 16:52
Scott/Omari

another evaluation request -

700 (46Q,40V) gmat
3.45 undergrad gpa econ - ivy
captain top 10 athletic team/awards
played professionally for 1.5 years
following graduation
3 yrs @ boutique investment management firm
(bus. dev/marketing, research, passed lv 1 cfa...i.e..little ofeverything)

have volunteered last 1.5 yrs for start up intl non-profit
which i'll be working for full-time come january (until summer)
- created marketing material, worked on business plan,
fundraising, etc. enjoy it very much and looking forward
to adding structure - hope to incorporate my mba school
and classmates into the org while i attend.

applying to HBS, tuck, wharton, columbia, kellogg

would like your thoughts on how i look "paper w/
those schools in mind.

trying to see how other applicants
from buy-side invst firms position themselves but have
found very little information. how they've discussed
their experience and how they've approached the
why mba, why now. concerned over my firm's size
and lack of name value....and also don't have the
standard consulting/ibanking background. but overall
feel pretty good about background....

following mba hope to
work at bigger firm in PWM or prient client group, then start
my own wealth management firm (primarly for athletes)
focused on wealth creation and aligning clients w/
appropriate philanthropic causes & private investments.
then maybe public service.......

any suggestions and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2005, 10:50
Applicants on the buy-side typically take one of three approaches:

1) I'm a numbers guy, love portfolio theory and want to run my own fund one day. I'm going to business school to delve deeper into finance, build my network and transition into a position that is better aligned with my career goals.

2) I'm an industry guy. I covered one specific industry and now I want to jump in. I need b-school to make the transition.

3) I'm a people guy. I loved the person-to-person interactions on the buy-side. Having discussions, having people sell me and selling people. I want to build on these skills and transition into an area like private wealth.

Sounds like you fall into category 3. I've seen people successfully spin this in addition to saying they want to focus on the athelete market. Sounds like you have your story lined up pretty well. I wouldn't worry about the boutique nature of your firm. In many cases that can actually be an advantage because of you probably have had more responsibility than your peers at larger firms.

If you really want PWM, keep plugging away at CFA -- even after you get into b-school.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2005, 11:20
Thanks for replying and i agree.......

Do you think from a strategic point of view (as far as the application process) that it would make more sense to say/write that after school i'd like to go back and help the non-profit I currently volunteer for and will be working for (which is a real possibility - partly depends on their needs and progress from current state)? reason i ask is that you said you've seen similiar applicants w/ my original strategy - feel like i have a somewhat unique background and don't want to be another finance guy w/ decent numbers, education, etc.....also have a story regarding entering the business end of the professional sport i played. know quite a few people in the sport have seriously thought about entering the management/strategy side of a team. Basically, there are 2-4 things i'm seriously considering after school (as many applicants) and know the need to pin down one. Assuming I have refined stories on the three after-school plans, which would you advise me to use?

thanks a lot for your help. certainly help all of us who use this site!
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2005, 16:57
Althought I've heard it before, it's definitely not a common story and certainly not one I think you should ditch. I'm sure you could sell the non-profit angle well, but I think you should stick with your instincts and the PWM. Certainly, weave the non-profit angle in there -- this will help set you apart. You can express you interest in staying closely involved post-graduation.

You have some unique attributes to claim that will serve you well. Finally, remember that all the people I know who play this angle got into the schools of their choice.

http://www.mbagameplan.com