Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 21:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation request from China

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Evaluation request from China [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 06:36
Hi Paul. I’m from China. I appreciate very much if you can review my profile below.

Gmat: 720 Toefl: 104
Profile: 32/M/China
Graduate school: top 1 university in China
Master of Science in Computer Science Gpa: 3.0/4.0
Undergraduate school: top 1 university in China
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Gpa: 3.3/4.0

EXPERIENCE
Working in IT and operation areas in Top asset management company of China for 6 years
Position: Director of operation strategy planning
• Persuaded C-level officers to firstly initiate entering into this US$1,000 million market of operational outsourcing within the next five years
• Managed 60 members, Rotated to accounting, portfolio management, equity, fix income and risk management departments and reengineered the whole business processes audited by PWC;
• Traveled to London, Madrid, Tokyo and Bangkok for six months and designed the future operation strategy for my company
Position: Senior manager of institutional client services team
• established the institutional client services team in the company and increased 100m dollar AUM
Position: Senior project manager
• Led management team and realized the first international investment operational platform in China that valued US$10 million;
Position: purchasing manager and chief Negotiator
• Supervised negotiations with 21 vendors; totally saved US$2 million for company, 20% of operation budget
• Supervised a team to finish a 3m dollar negotiation with a software provider in Boston, US with English as formal language
Position: Business analysis
Position: trading desk supporter

Volunteer Activities / nonprofessional activities/ Interests:
• Voluntarily initiated “Green Operation” in company; Saved 30% of paper and electricity usage; donated saved money to poor students
• Founded three chain shops; Provided leather product maintenance services; earned US$60,000 per year (top 20% in this industry)
• Committee of the Labor Union; Negotiated with management and improved employees’ welfare by 10%
• led pets club to adopt homeless dogs while SARS and provided consulting services of pets’ medical treatment for free; Organized donation to poor students in Inner Mongolia province
• Interests: Ski, Antique and Traveling; traveled to 23 provinces in China
Lived in: China
MBA Area of interest: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Short-term Goal: Managing Director of operation div in top 5 asset management in chinalife
Long-term Goal: establish a company providing business processes outsourcing in China’s capital market based on my 6 years operational experiences, comprehensive understanding about china’s capital market and learning from top mba program
Schools of interest: Stanford, Tuck, Yale, UCLA, Cornell
My concerns: Stanford is my dream school but I was wondering if the age and gmat will negatively impact my applications
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 195

Re: Evaluation request from China [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 14:45
Expert's post
Vampire king,

Cool name, no idea how I missed this before Thanksgiving - my apologies.

I don't think your GMAT hurts you at all at Stanford or any other school. You can probably read my take on this all over these forums, but I see the GMAT as working in four quadrants, almost independent of school or individual context:

Below 660 - Danger zone.

660-690 - "Wish it was higher." What's important is that readers won't "let themselves off the hook" mentally and basically punt the file. They will truly read it, which is where a great application can win the day. When you hear people buck the odds, it is usually in this range and it is usually with perfect essays.

700-730 - "Check in the box." They really don't give your GMAT another thought if you are in this range.

740+ - Now you can start to actually gain points here. It helps their average, maybe it allows them to admit a 670 type by "packaging" the two applications. It can dictate scholarships. So make no mistake, it's a lot better, but not really because one school or another draws different cutoffs.

So with that out of the way, we can understand that your GMAT puts you in the hunt. Your age is probably more problematic at Stanford, but the truth is that GSB is unpredictable. We know they reward big brand PE applicants with monster GMAT scores, but that's a relatively small subset. Who makes up the rest of the class? Who knows! They are looking for "something" that people have a hard time pinning down. Do you look like a mismatch on paper, based on a few stats? Maybe, but you might be the exact piece they are looking for in shaping the class. My advice on throwing a flier at Stanford is to just that - sit down and crank out the essays from deep within, don't overly edit them, don't try to game it, just let it flow. Pouring out who you really are is the best chance to be that magic key that fits the lock.

Now, my advice for any other school is pretty much the opposite. You have to understand the DNA of the program, know what they care about, understand the priority of themes, focus on the professional progression that makes sense, all of it. Going at it cold, without an expert "chief of staff" type adviser is an uphill battle. That's the truth of the matter.

That said, I think you have the goods at those other schools IF you nail the apps. The age thing is overblown at schools not named HBS or Stanford and I think your experience is a big positive, not a negative. I would also absolutely put Haas and Kellogg on your list as those schools really prize both deep experience and also an innovative mentality.

PM me if you want to get into this via a free consultation. I think we can take these great raw materials and help you put the puzzle together.

Hope this helps!

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton