Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evaluation request- Re-applicant, India, CA, 760

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Evaluation request- Re-applicant, India, CA, 760 [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 23:24
Hi,

I write this to update you my last year's efforts for getting into a b-school. I had applied to Wharton (aspiration), Kellogg, Stern, Columbia (Favorite) & Chicago Booth.

I was dinged without an interview at Wharton and Stern; with an interview at Columbia & Kellogg. I am summer waitlised in Booth.

I am least hopeful of getting an admit from Chicago (being an international) and am now planning my next move. I am an i-banker in India and next few months arent looking that exciting from work perspective. J term at Columbia looks the most attractive option right now.

Can i request your assessment on the results above and suggestions on how i could crack Columbia J term?

Nationality- Indian
GMAT Score- 760 (AWA 6)
Edu Qualification- Chartered Accountant
Graduation in commerce with highest passing grades.
Work Ex- 2003 onwards- 1 year in tax advisory, 1.5 years in corporate finance, 1.5 years in Investment banking. All medium size firms.
Curriculum related Internship- 3 years. 1999-2001 including 1 year with American Express Bank.

Extra Curriculurs- - Active in sports like basketball, football & cricket. Learning golf. Am not playing at any club or professional level though.

- Keep my creative side alive by interacting with two ad agencies on an informal basis- exchanging ideas. Run a couple of communities on various topics. Amateur photographer.

- Have led my school sports teams, school NCC squad (National Cadet Corps is a Tri-Services Organization , comprising the Army, Navy and Air Force, engaged in grooming the youth of the country into disciplined and patriotic citizens) & office sports teams.

Weaknesses--
- Since i didnt do full time college for my graduation and post gradutaion, i dont have much to say for those years as far as extra curriculurs go.
- some breaks in my career. explanable.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and regards
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Evaluation request- Re-applicant, India, CA, 760 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 08:48
All you can do at this point is to do the best you can on the essays, resume, rec letters and interviews (should you get them).

I wouldn't completely neglect talking about stuff outside of work. However, based on what you wrote your extracurriculars aren't something that you should really emphasize (which yes, will be a weakness but why make it more apparent by highlighting it). In plain English, it seems like you have fun outside of work, but that's about it (nothing wrong with that, but there's not much more you can say beyond that). Focusing on work-related examples will likely best play to your strengths - and just hope that that's good enough.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Evaluation request- Re-applicant, India, CA, 760   [#permalink] 21 May 2009, 08:48