Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 23:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even if a crime that has been committed by computer is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Even if a crime that has been committed by computer is [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 10:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

20% (02:14) correct 80% (01:40) wrong based on 20 sessions
Even if a crime that has been committed by computer is discovered and reported, the odds of being both arrested and convicted greatly favor the criminal.
Each of the following, if true, supports the claim above EXCEPT:
(A) The preparation of computer-fraud cases takes much more time than is required for average fraud cases, and the productivity of prosecutors is evaluated by the number of good cases made.
(B) In most police departments, officers are rotated through different assignments every two or three years, a shorter time than it takes to become proficient as a computer-crime investigator.
(C) The priorities of local police departments, under whose jurisdiction most computer crime falls, are weighted toward visible street crime that communities perceive as threatening.
(D) Computer criminals have rarely been sentenced to serve time in prison, because prisons are overcrowded with violent criminals and drug offenders.
(E) The many police officers who are untrained in computers often inadvertently destroy the physical evidence of computer crime.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 10:48
angel2009 wrote:
Even if a crime that has been committed by computer is discovered and reported, the odds of being both arrested and convicted greatly favor the criminal.
(A) The preparation of computer-fraud cases takes much more time than is required for average fraud cases, and the productivity of prosecutors is evaluated by the number of good cases made.
(B) In most police departments, officers are rotated through different assignments every two or three years, a shorter time than it takes to become proficient as a computer-crime investigator.
(C) The priorities of local police departments, under whose jurisdiction most computer crime falls, are weighted toward visible street crime that communities perceive as threatening.
(D) Computer criminals have rarely been sentenced to serve time in prison, because prisons are overcrowded with violent criminals and drug offenders.
(E) The many police officers who are untrained in computers often inadvertently destroy the physical evidence of computer crime.

IMHO A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 11:38
IMO A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 21:27
But OA is not A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 22:10
angel2009 wrote:

B,C,E support the claim that the computer criminals' getting arrested and convicted will be less and favors the criminal

Defintely between A and D.

A - says case takes longer time than the average. number of cases made would defintely effect as these take longer and prosecutors might not want to take the case seriously and gives defendent the advantage.
D - talks about jail time. but doesnt say about conviction - may be they just need to pay a huge amount - but still they are convicted.

D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 09:18
OA D, I still inclined towards A. Probably I've missed lots of CR nowadays :-(
But my logic is that
Quote:
the odds of being both arrested and convicted greatly favor the criminal.

Now according to me
Quote:
Computer criminals have rarely been sentenced to serve time in prison, because prisons are overcrowded with violent criminals and drug offenders.
-- now i think its a favor to the computer frauds and hence A is better
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 06:18
can anyone give another try to explain why D?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
I will try to explain why it is D.

D is the only answer that does not effect the odds of being both arrested and convicted.

Answer A effects the odds of being convicted by showing that computer fraud cases needs more time than average fraud cases. This somewhat supports the passage.

Answer D does not effect the odd of being arrested and convicted. This statement only shows what usually happens to convicted computer criminals.

I hope that helps.
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 705 [0], given: 11

Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 12:23
Hey All,

Plenty of good discussion going on here, and I think Ekin really nailed it at the end. I just wanted to pop in here (taking all the credit), and make sure everybody learns the lesson from this question. Whenever you start thinking that there's some kind of subtle gradations of meaning going on (and you're really torn between a couple of answer choices), take another look at the EXACT words in the premise, and the EXACT words in the conclusion. Odds are they differ.

In this case, we don't have a premise in the argument, because the premises are the answer choices themselves. Notice how we're asked to support THE CLAIM in this question, which means we're going to stay really close to what's written.

Then, as Ekin says, answer choice A, for all it's weirdness, directly relates to arrests (because somebody has to make the case before anyone will be arrested), where as D only relates to sentencing. Those little words will kill you if you're not careful. So be careful!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 00:23
Ekin4112 wrote:
I will try to explain why it is D.

D is the only answer that does not effect the odds of being both arrested and convicted.

Answer A effects the odds of being convicted by showing that computer fraud cases needs more time than average fraud cases. This somewhat supports the passage.

Answer D does not effect the odd of being arrested and convicted. This statement only shows what usually happens to convicted computer criminals.

I hope that helps.

I AGREE!
the argument says that even when the computer crimes are discovered and reported, the actions of arresting and convicting them have some obstacles that prevent these crimes from the touch of authorities. All choices A,B,C,E directly relate to some obstacles of arresting and convicting which all strengthen the argument.
(A): computer crimes are not likely be convicted
(B): computer crimes are not likely be arrested
(C): same as (B)
E): same as A
Only D talk about the sentencing activity which comes after crimes are arested and convicted.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 00:28
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Plenty of good discussion going on here, and I think Ekin really nailed it at the end. I just wanted to pop in here (taking all the credit), and make sure everybody learns the lesson from this question. Whenever you start thinking that there's some kind of subtle gradations of meaning going on (and you're really torn between a couple of answer choices), take another look at the EXACT words in the premise, and the EXACT words in the conclusion. Odds are they differ.

In this case, we don't have a premise in the argument, because the premises are the answer choices themselves. Notice how we're asked to support THE CLAIM in this question, which means we're going to stay really close to what's written.

Then, as Ekin says, answer choice A, for all it's weirdness, directly relates to arrests (because somebody has to make the case before anyone will be arrested), where as D only relates to sentencing. Those little words will kill you if you're not careful. So be careful!

-t

thank you Tommy.i agree with you, all other choices are premises of the conclusion that "being arrested and convicted greatly favor the crimes", only D does not relate to the conclusion.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: computer-fraud [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 22:11
Good question indeed.Fell for A too.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Even if a crime that has been committed by computer is [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 21:49
I totally fail to understand (A) :

And no one has come up with a reasonable explanation for it

Does taking time mean that arrest and conviction is not happening ? It may happen at a later time. If average cases take 6 months, this may take 2 years. Still, arrest and conviction does happen .
Also, another non-sensical statement that prosecutors are evaluated by the number of good cases made. Why would a delay make the prosecutors come up with a bad case ? They will come up with a good case at a later state.

All this says is that time taken is more. Arrest, conviction, and the ability of the prosecutors to make a good case will still happen
Re: Even if a crime that has been committed by computer is   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2013, 21:49