Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 06:05
options C & D are out since they start with 'which' which when incorporated in the sentence makes the meaning ambiguous as in which form of fuel produces heat more efficiently ? Fossil fuel or magnetic resonance .
Option e is grammatically incorrect
Option B wins over A because of the 'does'at the end of the sentence ...hence B it is
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 09:02
Let me disagree with B, IMO is D

There is no S-V agreement error in D. Produce is the verb for "Those that rely on magnetic resonance" Plural.

Plus, there is a meaning problem, as natural gas is a fossil fuel. Also the sentence intends to make a contrast between the age of conservation and the means people are using to cook. Stating that Magnetic resonance is more efficient emphasizes such contrast.

Experts, your input will be really appreciated in this one

Cheers
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 1375 [0], given: 245

Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 09:38
Expert's post
1. Which refers to MR (singular); not those (ranges) that rely on MR. We cannot take it to refer to a noun that is not just in front. The touch rule of which is quite clear about it. So the plural produce is a wrong verb and D suffers from S-V mismatch.
2. If a contrast is sought to be made out between the age of conservation and the means of cooking, then, that is basically wrong. We must make a comparison and contrast between only parallel things. An age cannot be contrasted with a means. So D can never make it.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 20:28
To clarify my doubts on "which," is it possible to read the sentence in the following way:

Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those [implicit: those cooking ranges] that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.

A. producing heat more efficiently than natural gas
B. producing heat more efficiently than natural gas does
C. which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas
D. which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does
E. much more efficient at producing heat than natural gas

Based on this, answer is D. "Which" refers to "Those cooking ranges that rely on magnetic resonance," not "magnetic resonance," and therefore "produce" agrees with the implies "cooking ranges" rather than mismatches with "magnetic resonance."

Basically, how far can into the previous clause can a which statement extend,
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 1375 [0], given: 245

Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 00:03
Expert's post
@banaorange

Can which in this case refer to ranges? There are two choices that use, ‘which ‘namely C and D. Let’s insert choice C and D in their relevant places and see.

C. Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those [implicit: those cooking ranges] that rely on magnetic resonance, which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas--- So by taking ‘which’ to refer to cooking ranges, the choice says that cooking ranges (kind of gadgets) produce heat more than natural gas (a planetary resource)

D. Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those [implicit: those cooking ranges] that rely on magnetic resonance, which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does --- same comparison error as in C

How far away can the relative pronoun,’which’ go deep into the preceding clause. Here is what I picked up from some forum writings.

Quote:
According to Manhattan GMAT, in general, a noun modifier should touch their nouns; however there are 4 exceptions to this case:
1. A "mission critical" modifier falls in between
2. A very short predicate falls between, shifting a very long modifier back
3. A short non-essential phrase intervenes and is set off by commas
4. The modifier is part of a series of parallel modifiers, one of which touches the noun
Quote:

Where to find this quote in MGMAT, I am not sure, since I do not have the MGMAT Guide

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 21:13
ankit0411 wrote:
Qassam wrote:
I don't think any of the answers are right! A can't be right because producing modifies the whole clause preceding it, which makes the comparison nonsensical. D has an S-V problem, produce is plural, while it should be singular.

the Verb+ing form modifies the preceding entire clause and hence gives you the correct meaning.

Where as, if you read carefully, the options with "which" actually tend to distort the intended meaning of the original sentence.

"Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas"

We want that cooking ranges ( use magnetic resonance ) are producing heat more efficiently than natural gas

the use of which changes the meaning of the above sentence.

ankit ...well explained...

kudos

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 67

Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 20:36
sachinrelan wrote:
Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.

What should be the correct answer to this question. ?

I feel it should be Option D.

I couldn't understand the construction of this sentence request forum members to help me understand.

C and D cannot be correct answer because it uses plural form"produce". E makes a faulty comparison same goes with A. Hence the answer must be A.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 23:08
Guys how much time should we put for this question?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cooking Range Problem [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 22:34
aman1213 wrote:
sachinrelan wrote:
Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.

I couldn't understand the construction of this sentence request forum members to help me understand.

Hi
I will try to explain why 'B; is the answer.
whenever you see 'which', it refers to the noun before 'which', in this case the noun before 'which' is 'Resonance', so if we say resonance produce heat more efficiently than natural gas, it sounds incorrect.
hence options c and d go out.
option E is also wrong, as we dont know what is 'much more' referring to.
We are left with options A and B.
In A we are comparing the heat produced by fossil fuel to Natural gas.
this is wrong as we are not comparing the right things.
In B, we are comparing the heat produced by fossil fuel to heat produced by natural gas.This is the right comparison, hence is the answer

Hi,
I think D is correct.
Now Why ?
What produces better heat ? is it Magnetic resonance or Natural Gas.
It's Magnetic resonance.
so the use of "which" is justified. Hence D

Secondly natural gas is nothing but Fossil fuel. And the statement states that cooking ranges which use magnetic resonance, produce better heat than Natural Gas but people still rely on ranges that consume fossil fuel.

regards
Rahul
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 230

Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 06:13
sachinrelan wrote:

Which is a wrong Modifier
Eliminate C D

In A and E action (Production of gas is compared to noun Natural gas, Wrong comparison)
Eliminate A and E.

B sounds ok, as does is used to compare action.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 106

Premium Member CAT Tests
Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 13:44
I will grade this question under Poor quality category all choices have error.

A. producing heat more efficiently than natural gas--> modifier is modifying entire preceding clause instead of magnetic resonance
B. producing heat more efficiently than natural gas does --> modifier is modifying entire preceding clause instead of magnetic resonance
C. which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas---> S-V error should be which produces
D. which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does --> S-V error should be which produces
E. much more efficient at producing heat than natural gas ---> absolute phrase.-- error in comparison X is much more efficient at producing Y than Z (does)

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?

Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2014, 13:44