Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 368
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2006, 21:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.


A) producing heat more efficiently than natural gas

B) producing heat more efficiently than natural gas does

C) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas

D) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does

E) much more efficient at producing heat than natural gas

Last edited by gk3.14 on 16 Sep 2006, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 368
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2006, 22:02
OA is B..
great going guys..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 368
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2006, 08:47
OE: Parallel Construction/Comparison problem. The verb is part of the comparison: x is producing head more efficiently than y does.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 1176
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2006, 18:13
it is hard to believe it is B.

I thought it is D. coz the producing.... modifies "those that rely on magnetic resonance", isn't it? I read somewhere that a gerund clause modifies a whole sentence instead of a noun.


:?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 582
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2006, 07:09
tennis_ball wrote:
it is hard to believe it is B.

I thought it is D. coz the producing.... modifies "those that rely on magnetic resonance", isn't it? I read somewhere that a gerund clause modifies a whole sentence instead of a noun.


:?


I thought it was D too for a modifier problem.

I believed producing modifies "cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels".
Since natural gaz is also a fossil fuel, I thought we had to find a modifier that modifies magnetic resonnance. Else it doesn't make sense.


I think something is wrong here....!!!!!??? :?:
Or did I make a mistake on the modified noun?

Quote:
Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.


A) producing heat more efficiently than natural gas

B) producing heat more efficiently than natural gas does

C) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas

D) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does

E) much more efficient at producing heat than natural gas
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 1176
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2006, 17:01
gk3.14 wrote:
OE: Parallel Construction/Comparison problem. The verb is part of the comparison: x is producing head more efficiently than y does.


This OE is not very convincing anyway. What about D? it does not have the problem of parallelism either!
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1136
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2006, 22:45
tennis_ball wrote:
gk3.14 wrote:
OE: Parallel Construction/Comparison problem. The verb is part of the comparison: x is producing head more efficiently than y does.


This OE is not very convincing anyway. What about D? it does not have the problem of parallelism either!


But D has a modifier-comparisn problem!

D) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does

The problem is which produce heat modifies magnetic resonance. You need which produces heat in this case.

Even if you assume that which produce heat modifies those that rely on magnetic resonance, you cant compare cooking ranges to natural gas

I didn't like B either, I picked E.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 582
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2006, 09:30
kripalkavi wrote:
tennis_ball wrote:
gk3.14 wrote:
OE: Parallel Construction/Comparison problem. The verb is part of the comparison: x is producing head more efficiently than y does.


This OE is not very convincing anyway. What about D? it does not have the problem of parallelism either!


But D has a modifier-comparisn problem!

D) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does

The problem is which produce heat modifies magnetic resonance. You need which produces heat in this case.

Even if you assume that which produce heat modifies those that rely on magnetic resonance, you cant compare cooking ranges to natural gas

I didn't like B either, I picked E.


You're right, and I missed the point "produceS".
And B cannot be right because producing doesn't modify Magnetic Resonance.

What is the source of this SC?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 761
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Cooking ranges [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2006, 11:01
gk3.14 wrote:
Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.


A) producing heat more efficiently than natural gas

B) producing heat more efficiently than natural gas does

C) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas

D) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does

E) much more efficient at producing heat than natural gas


A: incorrect meaning. sentence can be interpreted to read 'heat is produced more efficiently than natural gas is'
B: bang on
C: has a problem similar to A
D: which needs to refer to "magnetic resonance", making the sentence illogical.
E: same problem as A,C
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1388
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Cooking ranges [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2006, 15:24
Futuristic wrote:
gk3.14 wrote:
Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.


A) producing heat more efficiently than natural gas

B) producing heat more efficiently than natural gas does

C) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas

D) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does

E) much more efficient at producing heat than natural gas


A: incorrect meaning. sentence can be interpreted to read 'heat is produced more efficiently than natural gas is'
B: bang on
C: has a problem similar to A
D: which needs to refer to "magnetic resonance", making the sentence illogical.
E: same problem as A,C


Futuristic: Why is D illogical can you explain please?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 1026
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Cooking ranges [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2006, 19:03
trivikram wrote:
Futuristic wrote:
gk3.14 wrote:
Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.


A) producing heat more efficiently than natural gas

B) producing heat more efficiently than natural gas does

C) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas

D) which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does

E) much more efficient at producing heat than natural gas


A: incorrect meaning. sentence can be interpreted to read 'heat is produced more efficiently than natural gas is'
B: bang on
C: has a problem similar to A
D: which needs to refer to "magnetic resonance", making the sentence illogical.
E: same problem as A,C


Futuristic: Why is D illogical can you explain please?


I think D is illogical because we need to compare cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels and cooking ranges that rely on magnetic resonance. As Futuristic said "which" in D refers to magnetic resonance. In B producing modifies "cooking ranges".

And we need to understand "producing heat more efficiently than natural gas does" in B as "cooking ranges based on magnetic resonance producing heat more efficiently than cooking ranges based on natural gas"

No?
_________________

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Re: SC - Cooking ranges   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2006, 19:03
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic McCombs age range essen1976 3 27 Jul 2013, 08:28
15 Experts publish their posts in the topic Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that sachinrelan 30 17 Sep 2010, 23:36
Is the range of a set of ten different even integers less kevincan 10 09 Oct 2007, 13:49
Is the range of a set of ten different even integers less kevincan 3 25 Jun 2007, 06:15
what is the range of n consecutive even positive numbers rxs0005 3 22 Jan 2005, 19:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.