Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even their most ardent champions concede that no less than a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Even their most ardent champions concede that no less than a [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 04:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (01:45) correct 15% (01:03) wrong based on 20 sessions
281. Even their most ardent champions concede that no less than a technical or scientific breakthrough is necessary before solar cells can meet the goal of providing one percent of the nation’s energy needs.
(A) that no less than a technical or scientific breakthrough is necessary
(B) that nothing other than a technical or scientific breakthrough is needed
(C) that a technical or scientific breakthrough is necessary
(D) the necessity for an occurrence of a technical or scientific breakthrough
(E) the necessity for a technical or scientific breakthrough occurring
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 06:12
Isnt the option C changing the meaning of the sentence.

The first sentence says that no less than a scientific breakthrough is necessary.. ie. alteast a scientific breakthrough or more than it..

The option C says straightly that a scientific breakthrough which distorts the meaning.

ie.

x no less than 50 doesnt mean that x is 50.

any takers ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 07:51
can you plz underline ur posts from now on
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 07:56
I agree...
C changes the meaning of the sentence...
IMO A
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 106

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 10:09
I agree and that's why I also go for A.

A has no grammatical error and keep the intent of the sentence intact.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 10:58
Neochronic wrote:

The first sentence says that no less than a scientific breakthrough is necessary.. ie. alteast a scientific breakthrough or more than it..

The option C says straightly that a scientific breakthrough which distorts the meaning.

ie.

any takers ?

What about

Selectors conceded that No less than an all rounder is required in the team before it goes to the word cup.

Selectors conceded that an all rounder is required in the team before it goes to the world cup.

Don't u think second stmt is more straight forward.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 106

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 12:20
imanonymoususer wrote:
Neochronic wrote:

ie.

any takers ?

What about

Selectors conceded that No less than an all rounder is required in the team before it goes to the word cup.

Selectors conceded that an all rounder is required in the team before it goes to the world cup.

Don't u think second stmt is more straight forward.

What my understanding from the
statement 1 ==> atleast 1 all rounder is required, but it could be possible that they may require 2 or 3 all rounders before going to the world cup
but, definitely, atleast one is required (not sure how many are reuired)

statement 2 ==> is distorting the meaning of first statement by saying that only 1 all rounder is required before going to world cup.

People Opinions?

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 14:56
C

"no less than a scientific break through is necessary" has the same meaning that "a scientific break through is neccessary" has. Why not make the sentence shorter and more concise?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 2

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 22:12
I think that , 'no less than scientific breaktyhrough...' and 'a scientific breakthrough' are different in meaning. The former suggests that something atleast as good as (or better than) scientific breakthrough is required.

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 08:26
Thanks for the discussion guys..

But the OA i have got for this Question is C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 11:25
choices can be narrowed down to AC. C is more succinct. It might appear the C is changing the meaning but in reality its not. When we say ‘no less than’, we are saying ‘equal or more’. The sentence in option C has the correct meaning by removing ‘the more’ part.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 20:57
I will go for A. but C is more precise and slightly changes the meaning of the sentence..

After all, on the D Day, What ever it is, Gmat is correct
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 00:57
rohinipathi wrote:
I will go for A. but C is more precise and slightly changes the meaning of the sentence..

After all, on the D Day, What ever it is, Gmat is correct

Сorrect !

this question is from OG 10th. #242.

Explanations:
C is the best choice. The word that functions grammatically to introduce the clause that describes the point that champions of solar cells concede. Choices A and B needlessly lengthen the statement by expressing the idea through negation: no less than and nothing other than could be dropped without loss of meaning. In D and E, the preposition/or is less idiomatic than o/in expressing necessity. Furthermore, both choices present an awkward and wordy noun-plus-prepositional phrase instead of a that clause that would express meaning more exactly and concisely.

One thing what I du not understand is it necessary to use "for" aftrer the word "necessary" in C?

thanks

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Technical or scientific breakthrough   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2010, 00:57