Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3462 [26]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [14]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [2]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Even though Béla Bartók’s music has proved less popular than Igor [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Even though Béla Bartók’s music has proved less popular than Igor Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, it is no less important.

And we are in for a beautiful comparison again :)

Intended meaning:
We are comparing music by BB, IS and AS.
As per author, although the music by BB is less popular and less influential
than by other two, the music by BB is equally important.

Quote:
(A) Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, it

Comparision hold good between music by all three, parallelism showing features of BB's music
(less popular, less influential but not less important) is grammatically and logically parallel.
It here correctly refers to BB's music. No pronoun ambiguity here. Hang on to A.

Quote:
(B) Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, he

The usage of HE is incorrect. The pronoun (he) can refer to a person, not a possessive noun
e.g. Roy's chair or Roy's guitar

Quote:
(C) Stravinsky’s is and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s is, it

The comparison goes off-table here, with the introduction of verb: is

Quote:
(D) Stravinsky and not as influential as Arnold Schonberg, he

We cannot compare BB's music with IS and AS. We either compare music by all three artists
or three artists themselves. The pronoun he is incorrect for reasons explained in (B)

Quote:
(E) Stravinsky and not as influential as Arnold Schonberg, it

Again a mess of comparison as in D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 281
Send PM
Re: Even though Béla Bartók’s music has proved less popular than Igor [#permalink]
So we can clearly cut option B and D becz we are talking about Bb's music and not bb.
Now, we are left with A,C,E
E has missed 's in Stravinsky
And C has used is. Hence both are wrong.
We are now left with A
Hence, A is correct

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Quote:
Even though Béla Bartók’s music has proved less popular than Igor Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, it is no less important.

IMO A.

Quote:
Key to Solve :-
We are comparing A's Music with B and C. Keeping this is mind, we move on to answer choices.

Quote:

Correct piece of sentence. Béla Bartók’s music , Stravinsky’s, Schonberg’s all three refer to music and not to name of the person. Also it correctly refers to Béla Bartók’s music.

Quote:

"He" is incorrect here as no person is mentioned in the whole sentence. Only the person's music is highlighted. Incorrect

Quote:

Awkward construction by using is after Stravinsky’s and Schonberg’s. Incorrect choice. We have a better choice A.

Quote:

Comparison of Béla Bartók’s music with Person.(Igor Stravinsky and Arnold Schonberg ). Incorrect Comparison.

Quote:

Comparison of Béla Bartók’s music with Person.(Igor Stravinsky and Arnold Schonberg ). Incorrect Comparison.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
aragonn wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 5: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

In B and D he is the error no antecedent
In E wrong comparision Béla Bartók’s music compared with Stravinsky
Left with A and C
There is the difference of is
I feel A is correct as BB' music correctly compared with S's
Why do we need that is ? hence C rejected
A is the answer
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM

(A) Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, it - Correct
(B) Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, he - Pronoun he can't refer to Béla Bartók ’s, which is possessive
(C) Stravinsky’s is and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s is, it - usage of "Arnold Schonberg’s is" is incorrect
(D) Stravinsky and not as influential as Arnold Schonberg, he - Illogical comparison - music and person
(E) Stravinsky and not as influential as Arnold Schonberg, it - Illogical comparison - music and person

https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-she ... 08881.html

Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet. ---> “she” – a pronoun – refers to “Elizabeth Barrett Browning”, which only appears in the possessive or the adjective form. Therefore, in this question, a pronoun is referring to anything other than a noun.

1.So, can we actually confidently reject B on the basis of a pronoun trying to refer to possessive? But the transition from the comparison of music to "he is no less important" seems awkward and seems incomplete.

2. Even though Béla Bartók’s music has proved less popular than Igor Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, he is no less important than Igor Stravinsky and Arnold Schonberg --> I think this sentence will be correct as per current GMAT standards?

3. Also, in sentence 2, if the independent clause is changed to "he is no less important than them", then will it be incorrect? (since Igor Stravinsky and Arnold Schonberg is not a compound subject in the sentence and only its possessives are present.)

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , ChiranjeevSingh , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , other experts - please enlighten

Answer A
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
aragonn wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 5: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

Official Explanation:

Choice A correctly compares the music of the three composers mentioned. In D and E, the music of Bartok is illogically compared to the other two composers themselves. The pro­noun he in B and D is incorrect because the subject of the sentence the pronoun refers to is Bartok's music, not Bartok. Choice C is wordy and awkward.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:

(A) Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, it - Correct
(B) Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, he - Pronoun he can't refer to Béla Bartók ’s, which is possessive
(C) Stravinsky’s is and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s is, it - usage of "Arnold Schonberg’s is" is incorrect
(D) Stravinsky and not as influential as Arnold Schonberg, he - Illogical comparison - music and person
(E) Stravinsky and not as influential as Arnold Schonberg, it - Illogical comparison - music and person

https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-she ... 08881.html

Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed by that of her husband, among her contemporaries she was considered the better poet. ---> “she” – a pronoun – refers to “Elizabeth Barrett Browning”, which only appears in the possessive or the adjective form. Therefore, in this question, a pronoun is referring to anything other than a noun.

1.So, can we actually confidently reject B on the basis of a pronoun trying to refer to possessive? But the transition from the comparison of music to "he is no less important" seems awkward and seems incomplete.

My understanding is and my experience indicates that we can no longer confidently reject a choice simply because a pronoun refers to a possessive.

At the same time, in this case, as you indicated, A would probably be preferred, as the transition from "music" to "he" does not make much sense. Even so, given today's GMAT standards regarding this type of structure, whether A or B is better would not be entirely clear.

2. Even though Béla Bartók’s music has proved less popular than Igor Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, he is no less important than Igor Stravinsky and Arnold Schonberg --> I think this sentence will be correct as per current GMAT standards?

I believe so as well.

3. Also, in sentence 2, if the independent clause is changed to "he is no less important than them", then will it be incorrect? (since Igor Stravinsky and Arnold Schonberg is not a compound subject in the sentence and only its possessives are present.)

First, in your example, you need "they" rather than "them", as "he is no less important than they" is a shortened version of "he is no less important than they are."

Regarding your question, I think that, assuming "they" were used, your example is not clearly incorrect. In GMAT SC correct answers, there are often debatably incorrect structures, and I think that the structure in your example would not on its own be a clear reason to eliminate a choice, at least on today's GMAT.

If there were a choice that were somehow clearly better, then your example could be a wrong answer, or part of an answer that might be considered less effective overall than the OA. If there were only clearly flawed other choices, then your example could be the correct answer. I lean toward the idea that your example would be considered OK, as reference to a possessive seems to be accepted on the GMAT currently, and given that such a reference is acceptable, who "they" are is clear.

Answer A

My responses in green above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 3.1
Send PM

(A) Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, it correct pronoun use for music, correct use of the comparison of music
(B) Stravinsky’s and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s, he wrong pronoun use, he seems to refer to the composer
(C) Stravinsky’s is and less influential than Arnold Schonberg’s is, it - awkward
(D) Stravinsky and not as influential as Arnold Schonberg, he - is comparing the music to the actual person. This is wrong.
(E) Stravinsky and not as influential as Arnold Schonberg, it - is comparing the music to the actual person. This is wrong.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here's the official explanation provided by the GMAC for this question:

This sentence draws a contrast between the degree to which one composer’s music was popular or influential and the degree to which two other composers’ music was popular or influential. The author needs to express this through logically coherent wording structures that tell clearly what is being contrasted with what. The original version of the sentence uses clear, parallel references to the elements of the contrast.

Option A: Correct. This conveys a clear, logically coherent meaning through the use of appropriately parallel structures.

Option B: The pronoun he has no direct, grammatically parallel antecedent. The grammatical subject of the sentence is Bartók’s music, not Bartók himself, and the main rhetorical focus is the contrast between that music and two other composers’ music. Therefore, if the author intends to switch the focus from the composers' music to the composers themselves and to say in the second part of the sentence that Bartók himself is no less important than Stravinsky and Schönberg, it would be better to clearly signal this switch by outlining the comparison more explicitly.

Option C: Than … is draws an oddly nonparallel comparison with has proved less popular. The word sequence than … is would fit better if the earlier phrase were proved to be less popular. In any case, is adds nothing of value and tends to obscure the meaning rather than to illuminate it.

Option D: This compares the popularity of Bartók’s music with the popularity of Stravinsky and compares the influence of Bartók’s music with Schönberg. It is illogical to suppose that the influence of such very different types of entities as people and music could be commensurable.

Option E: This compares the popularity of Bartók’s music with the popularity of Stravinsky and compares the influence of Bartók’s music with Schönberg. It is illogical to suppose that the influence of such very different types of entities as people and music could be commensurable.

The correct answer is A.

Please note that I'm not the author of this explanation. I'm just posting it here since I believe it can help the community.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Even though Béla Bartóks music has proved less popular than Igor [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even though Béla Bartóks music has proved less popular than Igor [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts