Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2015, 03:40
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even though computer technology has made creating musiC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-20-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User
Even though computer technology has made creating musiC [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 04:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (02:17) correct 66% (01:14) wrong based on 237 sessions
Even though computer technology has made creating music easier, however, thinking up and producing high quality material are a matter of knowledge, experience and talent.

A) Even though computer technology has made creating music easier, however, thinking up and producing high quality material are a matter of knowledge, experience and talent

B) Even though computer technology has made creating music easier, thinking and producing high quality material are a matter of knowledge, experience and talent

C) Although computer technology has made music creation easier, thinking up and producing high quality material, however, are a matter of knowledge, experience and talent

D) Computer technology has made creating music easier, but thinking up and producing high quality material are a matter of talent, knowledge, and experience

E) Computer technology has made the process of the creation of music easier, but thinking up and producing high quality material are a matter of talent, knowledge, and experience
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [4] , given: 87

Re: Even though computer technology has made creating musiC [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO D for the below reasons.

A. Wrong Construction (eventhough ... however...)
B. Construction seems fine, lets look at the other options.
C. Wrong Construction (although... however...)
D. Construction seems fine
E. Construction seems fine

So, it is between B,D and E. Both D and E use the sub-ordinate conjunction 'But'.

We cannot use 'Even though' in this sentence, because of the following reasons.

"thinking up and producing high quality material are a matter of knowledge, experience and talent" is a fact, and it is not affected by whether 'computer technology making the music creation easier'. 'Even though' can only be used if the the main clause gets affected by the idea mentioned in the sub-ordinate clause using 'Even though'.

So, B is eliminated.

E is unnecessarily lengthy. Hence D should be the answer.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-20-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Even though computer technology has made creating musiC [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 20:11
gmatter0913 wrote:

"thinking up and producing high quality material are a matter of knowledge, experience and talent" is a fact, and it is not affected by whether 'computer technology making the music creation easier'. 'Even though' can only be used if the the main clause gets affected by the idea mentioned in the sub-ordinate clause using 'Even though'.

Kindly elaborate. In B, why do you think that the main clause is not affected by the sub-ordinate clause? I think both are related.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 87

Re: Even though computer technology has made creating musiC [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 22:04
idinuv wrote:
gmatter0913 wrote:

Kindly elaborate. In B, why do you think that the main clause is not affected by the sub-ordinate clause? I think both are related.

Even though [Sub-ordinate clause], [main clause].

The action mentioned in the "sub-ordinate clause" should have an affect on the main clause.
Ex: Even though I was stuck in traffic, I reached office on time.

Now, let's do a small exercise.

Let's say, I tell you only the sub-ordinate clause - Even though I was stuck in traffic, and then I ask you to complete the main clause 'I reached office ______'.

In the above case, you will be able to fill it with some word that means 'on time' or 'not delayed'.

You won't be able to do that in the sentence from the question because they are not affected by each other.

Think about what should follow "Even though computer technology has made creating music easier"? You expect that the writer is going to say something that didn't make the music creation easier.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 142

Re: Even though computer technology has made creating musiC [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2014, 04:56
In the comparisons:

X and Y are a matter of A, B, C
X and Y are matters of A, B, C

Unemployment and recession are a matter of great economic concern.
Unemployment and recession are matters of great economic concern.

Which one is correct ? I prefer the second one.

I do not like this question for similar confusing structure.
Thinking (up) and Producing high quality music are a matter of knowledge, experience and talent.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 792

Kudos [?]: 3168 [3] , given: 38

Re: Even though computer technology has made creating musiC [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ConnectTheDots wrote:
In the comparisons:

X and Y are a matter of A, B, C
X and Y are matters of A, B, C

Unemployment and recession are a matter of great economic concern.
Unemployment and recession are matters of great economic concern.

Which one is correct ? I prefer the second one.

I do not like this question for similar confusing structure.
Thinking (up) and Producing high quality music are a matter of knowledge, experience and talent.

Dear ConnectTheDots,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, I would say --- don't worry about this question. This is a truly abysmal SC practice question. This is not at all up to the standards of the GMAT. The differences between the answer choices are minimum and virtually meaningless. Puzzling over this question will get you no closer to GMAT success.

As to your question, it depends very much on perspective. If X and Y are clearly 100% different things, not even in the same category, then we would need to treat them as plural
Baseball and opera are matters of ....
Mathematics and French cuisine are matters of ...

With the example you gave, it's much more ambiguous. The speaker could be thinking about a single economic state, a state characterized by "unemployment and recession" --- therefore, if these things go together and are part of a synergistic whole, we should refer to them as a single "matter." In context, we are more interested in talking about this single thing and what this thing causes or involves. To use the plural, "matters," implies that we are going to say something about a contrast. If I started "Both baseball and opera are matters of ...", that sentence would be about some unexpected similarity between two very different things. That's not the case in the economics sentence --- we are not interested in explore the difference between unemployment and recession. Instead, we are interested in what they have in common. For the purposes of the sentence, they are a single "matter."

In the sentence above, the compound was:
"thinking up and producing high quality material"
Of course, the construction "thinking up" is a grade-school colloquialism that never in 100 years would appear in the formal environment of the GMAT. I can't believe that anyone would think it was formal enough to use in a college paper. Let's change that to something a little more GMAT-like:
"composing and producing high quality material are a matter of ..."
Here, these two actions, the action of composing a piece of music and the action of producing it, are part of the same process, and in some cases, there will be a blurred line where one ends and the other begins. Much in the same way, we are not concerned in the sentence with creating a contrast between two different "matters." We are interested in lumping these two actions together and explaining what they have in common. That's why it's completely appropriate to refer to them as a single matter.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 490

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Even though computer technology has made creating musiC [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2015, 08:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Even though computer technology has made creating musiC   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2015, 08:14