Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [4] , given: 0

Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 10:47
4
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (01:33) correct 35% (00:36) wrong based on 381 sessions
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care last year, doctors say fear of lawsuits plays major role in health-care inflation.

(A) amounts to a sum lower
(B) amounts to less
(C) amounted to less
(D) amounted to lower
(E) amounted to a lower sum
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 10:48
Kindy post in the difference between less than and lower than. :?:
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 549
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 92

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 11:52
Interesting - I'm contemplating b/w C & D
I think C.. :s
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 18:09
pawan203 wrote:
Interesting - I'm contemplating b/w C & D
I think C.. :s

can explain why not lower but less is to be used ?kindly post the explanations
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

13 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [13] , given: 5

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:49
13
This post received
KUDOS
spriya wrote:
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care last year, doctors say fear of lawsuits plays major role in health-care inflation.

(A) amounts to a sum lower
(B) amounts to less
(C) amounted to less
(D) amounted to lower
(E) amounted to a lower sum


direct costs -- amounts (Sub-ver) problem
A, B are out
E - out amount and sum are redundant.


Here we are comparing amount.. not number..
amount, money --> uncountable. --> we should use less/more (not lower)

I have more amount.
I have more money
I have less money
I have lower money --(wrong)

good question.
+1 for you
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning


Last edited by x2suresh on 23 Jul 2008, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [3] , given: 0

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:57
3
This post received
KUDOS
x2suresh wrote:
spriya wrote:
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care last year, doctors say fear of lawsuits plays major role in health-care inflation.

(A) amounts to a sum lower
(B) amounts to less
(C) amounted to less
(D) amounted to lower
(E) amounted to a lower sum


direct costs -- amounts (Sub-ver) problem
A, B are out
E - out amount and sum are redundant.


Here we are comparing amount.. not number..
amount, money --> they uncountable. and should use less/more (not lower)

I have more amount.
I have more money
I have less money
I have lower money --(wrong)

good question.
+1 for you


thank u :-D
OA is C

yes uncountable -> less /more
measurable in units or countable lower higher

this year,profit of the company is less than 10%

this year profit of the company equals to a sum lower than 10%


I hope this is the funda
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [1] , given: 5

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
spriya wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
spriya wrote:
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts to a sum lower than one percent of the $541 billion the nation spent on health care last year, doctors say fear of lawsuits plays major role in health-care inflation.

(A) amounts to a sum lower
(B) amounts to less
(C) amounted to less
(D) amounted to lower
(E) amounted to a lower sum


direct costs -- amounts (Sub-ver) problem
A, B are out
E - out amount and sum are redundant.


Here we are comparing amount.. not number..
amount, money --> they uncountable. and should use less/more (not lower)

I have more amount.
I have more money
I have less money
I have lower money --(wrong)

good question.
+1 for you


thank u :-D
OA is C

yes uncountable -> less /more
measurable in units or countable lower higher

this year,profit of the company is less than 10%

this year profit of the company equals to a sum lower than 10%


I hope this is the funda


Take kudos for good question and give kudos if you are benefited from some one's answer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 997
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [3] , given: 5

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 13:44
3
This post received
KUDOS
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 997
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [2] , given: 5

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 13:47
2
This post received
KUDOS
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 07:18
bigfernhead wrote:

Thank u
:-D
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2008
Posts: 354
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 07:49
should use amounted.

So c, d or e

d is wrong

e is wordy

So (C)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 171
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 12:52
that means if there is a answer choice "amounted to a sum lower" would be correct too, right?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 58
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 21:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
here direct costs is plural, so any thing singular such as " a lower sum" , " a sum less" or " a sum lower" should not come.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 171
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 07:35
tashu wrote:
here direct costs is plural, so any thing singular such as " a lower sum" , " a sum less" or " a sum lower" should not come.


Oh, that's right. I forgot about that part. Thanks.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 222
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [2] , given: 2

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 10:10
2
This post received
KUDOS
past tense 'amounted' is needed.
amount and sum is redundant

'cost' is uncountable - hence less not lower
_________________

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 171
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 26

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 08:12
urchin wrote:
past tense 'amounted' is needed.
amount and sum is redundant

'cost' is uncountable - hence less not lower


I see, thanks. You make it very clear.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 08:41
They're talking abt the past so -- amounted
Can't quantify 'amount' so it's 'less than' and not 'lower than'
Usage example 1: The water level is lower than expected
Example 2: The amount is far less than expected
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 94
Location: india
WE 1: 1.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 08:43
ans (C): less is used for uncountable things. as amount was below 1% of 54.. million but the exact amount is not specified ,so we cannot count the exact amt and hence less is used
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 216
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 09:27
Should be less than, with amount in the past tense form.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 31
Location: Boston
Schools: Boston College, MIT, BU, IIM, UCLA, Babson, Brown
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Re: sc- less than Vs lower than [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 09:39
The answer i think is C.
as it is past tense and I prefer less than to lower than. as it is a specific percentage amount value and not an approximation or a rough estimate
Re: sc- less than Vs lower than   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2010, 09:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Even though it was no longer cost-effective NeverSurrender 2 13 Jun 2014, 17:44
Experts publish their posts in the topic Even though the costs of paying baseball players amounts to sheru34766 5 01 Dec 2010, 21:15
Even if of Even though jugolo1 11 20 Nov 2008, 13:23
Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts goalsnr 3 23 Jul 2008, 12:07
2 Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts b14kumar 8 16 Mar 2006, 19:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Even though the direct costs of malpractice disputes amounts

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 32 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.