Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [62]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [4]
Given Kudos: 463
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [4]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 560 Q37 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q36 V35
Send PM
Re: Even today, a century after Pasteur developed the first vaccine, rabie [#permalink]
Answer: B.

"They" makes it clear that it is the "victims" that are inoculated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [2]
Given Kudos: 62
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Even today, a century after Pasteur developed the first vaccine, rabie [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here's my take:

sudarshan22 wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 27: Sentence Correction (SC1)

Even today, a century after Pasteur developed the first vaccine, rabies almost always kills its victims unless inoculated in the earliest stages of the disease.

(A) its victims unless inoculated

(B) its victims unless they are inoculated

(C) its victims unless inoculation is done

(D) the victims unless there is an inoculation

(E) the victims unless inoculated

Meaning analysis:
If the victims of rabies are not inoculated in the early stages of the disease, then rabies almost always kills the victims.

(A) its victims unless inoculated - The verb "inoculated" is not being preceded by a pronoun. A question arises, "What is inoculated"? The rabies or the victims? This is incorrect.

(B) its victims unless they are inoculated - The plural pronoun "they" refers to "victims" as this is the only plural noun preceding it. The victims have to be inoculated in the early stages of disease. This goes well with our meaning analysis. Correct.

(C) its victims unless inoculation is done - Similar error like option "A". It needs to be clear as to inoculation is done "to whom" or "for whom"? (Rabies or victims)? Incorrect.

(D) the victims unless there is an inoculation - Similar error as C. Needs to be clear there is inoculation for whom? Incorrect

(E) the victims unless inoculated - Exact Same error as A. Incorrect

Originally posted by Darshi04 on 04 Dec 2018, 02:08.
Last edited by Darshi04 on 04 Dec 2018, 08:25, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [1]
Given Kudos: 328
Send PM
Kudos
Even today, a century after Pasteur developed the first vaccine, rabies almost always kills its victims unless inoculated in the earliest stages of the disease.

Two possible errors are found in the underlined text.
1. Pronoun error
Pronoun "its" correctly refers to rabies. Even if we don't know the word rabies;which looks plural, verb "kills" implies that rabies is singular, thus "its" is correct. No error.

2. Subject-verb agreement error
There is no subject for the verb "inoculated".

With this pre-thinking, we can eliminate the answer choices A, C, E

(IMO) Correct. Subject "they" are placed and correctly refers to "victims"

Subject "there" is vague; Normally the answer choice is incorrect in GMAT when "there" is placed in the subject.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [1]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Official Explanation :

Choices A and E illogically suggest that rabies rather than the victims of rabies should be inoculated in the earliest stages of the disease.

Choice B is best: it is logical, clear, and more precise than choice C and D, which do not specify who or what is being inoculated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Bookmarks

The key word in this sentence is "kills". It tells you whether rabies is singular or plural.
We can eliminate (D) and (E)
(C) "is done" is passive voice
In, (B), the word "they" refers back to "victims"

Ans: (B)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
Schools: ESADE '23 (A)
Send PM
why is C wrong? kills its victims unless inoculation is done in the earliest stage of the disease(rabies). Inoculation means treat with vaccine. It is very clear to whom treatment is done in early stage of rabies.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
saro wrote:
why is C wrong? kills its victims unless inoculation is done in the earliest stage of the disease(rabies). Inoculation means treat with vaccine. It is very clear to whom treatment is done in early stage of rabies.

Hi, C is incorrect because C doesn't explicitly state whose inoculation is done.

The correct answer, on the other hand, clearly states that they (victims) are inoculated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Even today, a century after Pasteur developed the first vaccine, rabie [#permalink]
sudarshan22 wrote:

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Usage of UNLESS requires present tense following it.

Example:
Correct: I will not do X UNLESS there IS Y.
Wrong: I will not do X UNLESS there WILL BE Y.

So, Option A and E will be eliminated.
D distorts the meaning

C is changing the meaning in a subtle way. It is saying that the inoculation is to be done. But the original intent is that the victims should be inoculated.
Hence B is correct.

Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Originally posted by SaiPavanR on 31 Oct 2021, 03:37.
Last edited by SaiPavanR on 31 Oct 2021, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
SaiPavanR wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:

Example:

D distorts the meaning

C is changing the meaning in a subtle way. It is saying that the inoculation is to be done. But the original intent is that the victims should be inoculated.
Hence B is correct.

Correct if I am wrong. Thanks.

Hello SaiPavanR,

We hope this finds you well.

We are writing to inform you that although you have correctly identified the best answer choice, your reasoning for eliminating Options A and E is a bit off. The salient issues with both Option A and Option E are also meaning-related. the constructions "rabies...kills its victims unless inoculated" and "rabies...kills the victims unless inoculated" both illogically convey that rabies kills its victims unless rabies is inoculated; the intended meaning is that rabies kills its victims unless the victims are inoculated, and Option B clearly conveys this meaning. There is no tense error as such in either option.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
SaiPavanR wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:

Example:

D distorts the meaning

Hence B is correct.

Correct if I am wrong. Thanks.

Hello SaiPavanR,

We are writing to inform you that although you have correctly identified the best answer choice, your reasoning for eliminating Options A and E is a bit off. The salient issues with both Option A and Option E are also meaning-related. the constructions "rabies...kills its victims unless inoculated" and "rabies...kills the victims unless inoculated" both illogically convey that rabies kills its victims unless rabies is inoculated; the intended meaning is that rabies kills its victims unless the victims are inoculated, and Option B clearly conveys this meaning. There is no tense error as such in either option.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Thank you very much for explaining. I will update my SC notes accordingly.
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
Send PM
Hi Experts

GMATNinja @VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts AnthonyRitz

Can you please tell me why the option A and E are wrong

I chose my answer as option E

rabies almost always kills its victims unless inoculated in the earliest stages of the disease

Unless inoculated is modifying victims. It's illogical to say that it's modifying rabies. So according to me the correct meaning of the sentence E is - Rabies almost always kills its victims in the earliest stages of the disease , but it does not if they (Victims) are inoculated.

What's wrong with this option and with my understanding?
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi Experts

GMATNinja @VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts AnthonyRitz

Can you please tell me why the option A and E are wrong

I chose my answer as option E

rabies almost always kills its victims unless inoculated in the earliest stages of the disease

Unless inoculated is modifying victims. It's illogical to say that it's modifying rabies. So according to me the correct meaning of the sentence E is - Rabies almost always kills its victims in the earliest stages of the disease , but it does not if they (Victims) are inoculated.

What's wrong with this option and with my understanding?

Hello Vatsal7794,

To answer your query, the constructions "rabies...kills its victims unless inoculated" - in Option A - and "rabies...kills the victims unless inoculated" - in Option E - both illogically convey that rabies kills its victims unless rabies is inoculated; in both these constructions, "unless inoculated" is not actually modifying "victims"; it is Option B that conveys the intended meaning through the phrase "unless they (victims) are inoculated".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
Send PM
Thanks for the response

So you are saying that "Unless Inoculated" in option A and E can't modify the victims, It can only modify the Rabbis. Right?

If yes then you can please explain me why unless inoculated can't modify the victims, with example?

ExpertsGlobal5
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Thanks for the response

So you are saying that "Unless Inoculated" in option A and E can't modify the victims, It can only modify the Rabbis. Right?

If yes then you can please explain me why unless inoculated can't modify the victims, with example?

ExpertsGlobal5

Hello Vatsal7794,

To answer your query, the construction "rabies kills...unless inoculated", seen in both Options A and E, is such that "unless inoculated" does not directly modify the noun closest to it, but modifies the subject of the preceding clause - in this case, "rabies".

For a similar construction, consider this sentence - "Some fruits are inedible unless cooked."

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sudarshan22 wrote:

What does the sentence say?
The basic structure of option (A) without modifiers is
‘… rabies almost always kills its victims unless inoculated in the earliest stages of the disease’

Main clause – rabies almost always kills its victims
Dependent clause (adverbial) with a subordinating conjunction – unless …

But we don’t have a dependent clause here because the subject is missing. It could be a reduced adverbial phrase but that would mean that its subject should be the same as the subject of the main clause i.e. ‘rabies.’ But we know that ‘rabies’ is not inoculated. The victims are inoculated. Hence, it cannot be a reduced adverbial phrase. We need to specify the subject. Hence, both options (A) and (E) are incorrect.

The pronoun ‘they’ in option (B) clearly refers to the only plural noun before it – ‘victims.’
Options (C) and (D) are inferior to (B) because they do not specify who is inoculated.

Answer (B)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts