Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5096 [72]
Given Kudos: 289
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [41]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Events A and B are independent and have equal probabilities [#permalink]
Kudos
The Statement (2) is not sufficient but I think the explanation is wrong. You can't multiply that way because those probabilities have intersection (not independent).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Events A and B are independent and have equal probabilities [#permalink]
Andrake26 wrote:
The Statement (2) is not sufficient but I think the explanation is wrong. You can't multiply that way because those probabilities have intersection (not independent).

The question does mention that the two events, A and B are independent. Thus the intersection is not there.

This means, P(A and B) = P (A) * P(B) and P(A or B) = P(A) + P (B).

The explanation given by VeritasPrepKarishma is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [1]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Bookmarks
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:
Events A and B are independent and have equal probabilities of occurring. What is the probability that event A occurs?
1: The probability that at least one of events A and B occurs is 0.84.
2: The probability that event B occurs and event A does not is 0.24.

Since A and B have equal probabilities of occurring (Probability p), they have equal probabilities of not occurring.
Probability that neither of the events occurs is 0.16 (the complementary probability of 0.84, or 1 - 0.84).
Therefore, probability of A not occurring and probability of B not occurring is 0.16.
→ (not p)(not p) = 0.16 → (not p)^2 = 0.16 → p = 0.4
If we know probability that event will not occur, then we know probability that it will occur (0.6 = 60%).
Statement (1): Sufficient.
Statement (2): Probability that event A does not occur is simply (1 – p)
p(1 –p) = 0.24 → (p^2 – p + 0.24) = 0, and factoring for 2 numbers that multiply to 0.24 and add to -1 (implicit coefficient in front of p) gives 2 possible values for p: 0.6 & 0.4.
Insufficient.

Hi, the Statement (1) is not very clear to me. Can anyone explain the exact meaning and why it is Sufficient, please.
(To me, it does not sound like the Official GMAT question.)

Let me take the approach used more often:

Assume that P(A) = x.
Given that P(B) = P(A) = x
P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B) = x^2 (Probability that both occur is product of the two since events are independent)

P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B) = .84
x + x - x^2 = .84
x^2 -2x +.84 = 0
100x^2 - 200x + 84 = 0
This is a quadratic and when you solve it, you get x = 3/5 or 7/5.
The probability cannot be more than 1 so x must be 3/5 = 0.6
Sufficient.

The method used in the explanation is this: P(A or B) = .84
This means that probability that neither occurs = 1 - P(A or B) = .16
P('not A' and 'not B') = P(not A)*P(not B) = P(not A)*P(not A) = .16 (Since P(B) = P(A), P(not B) = P(not A). Also they are independent events so P that both don't occur is product of P(not A) and P(not B)
P(not A) = .40
So P(A) = .6
This method is faster and innovative.

On similar lines,
P(B)*P(not A) = 0.24
x(1 - x) = .24
x could be 0.6 and 1-x would be 0.4 then OR x could be 0.4 and 1-x would be 0.6 then. Hence we don't get a unique value for x
Not sufficient.

Answer (A)

Karishma I think this is the Formula -

For Mutually Exclusive events : Those events which will have nothing in common between them.
2 different sample space.
P (A or B ) = P(A) + p(B)
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V28
Send PM
Kudos
goodyear2013 wrote:
Events A and B are independent and have equal probabilities of occurring. What is the probability that event A occurs?

(1) The probability that at least one of events A and B occurs is 0.84.
(2) The probability that event B occurs and event A does not is 0.24.

Since A and B have equal probabilities of occurring (Probability p), they have equal probabilities of not occurring.
Probability that neither of the events occurs is 0.16 (the complementary probability of 0.84, or 1 - 0.84).
Therefore, probability of A not occurring and probability of B not occurring is 0.16.
If we know probability that event will not occur, then we know probability that it will occur (0.6 = 60%).
p(1 –p) = 0.24 → (p^2 – p + 0.24) = 0, and factoring for 2 numbers that multiply to 0.24 and add to -1 (implicit coefficient in front of p) gives 2 possible values for p: 0.6 & 0.4.
Insufficient.

Hi, the Statement (1) is not very clear to me. Can anyone explain the exact meaning and why it is Sufficient, please.

Hi goodyear2013, statement (1) implies that probability of occurrence of at least one of the two events is 0.84. Hence, the given probability (0.84) includes 3 possibilities:
1. A happens and B does not
2. B happens and A does not
3. A and B both happen

In the first case, the probability can be written as P(A)*[1 - P(B)]. Similarly, in the second case, probability can be calculated as \([1 - P(A)]*P(B)\); and in the third case, probability is P(A)*P(B). This will give the equation as: \(2p(1 - p) + {p}^{2} = 0.84\) and value of p (as Karishma explained) will be 3/5.

Alternate Method:
If we consider all the cases there can be when 2 events do or do not occur, then they are as follows:
1. both A and B occur
2. A occurs and B does not
3. B occurs and A does not
4. both A and B do not occur
Hence, addition of the probabilities of the above four cases should be 1. Since the first statement considers the combined probability of the first three cases, thus (1 - 0.84) should be the probability of fourth case. It implies that 0.16 = (1 - p)*(1 - p).

Hope this explanation helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
the problem is just another a simple equation
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5582 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Since A and B have equal probabilities of occurring (let’s call that probability p), they also have equal probabilities of not occurring. The probability that neither of the events occurs is .16 (the complementary probability of .84, or 1 - .84). Therefore, the probability of A not occurring and the probability of B not occurring is .16.
That means that (not p)(not p) = .16, or \((not p)^2\) = .16.

Take the square root of both sides to find that the probability of an event not occurring is .4. If we know the probability that an event will not occur, then we know the probability that it will occur (in this case, it is .6, or 60%).
So Statement (1) is sufficient.

Statement (2): The probability that event A does not occur is simply 1 – p, so Statement (2) gives us p(1 – p) = .24. This quadratic becomes \(p^2 - p + .24 = 0\), and factoring for two numbers that multiply to .24 and add to -1 (the implicit coefficient in front of p) gives us two possible values for p: .6 and .4.
So Statement (2) alone is insufficient.

The correct answer is therefore (A).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 223
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:

Insufficient.

Assume that P(A) = x.
P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B) = x^2 (Probability that both occur is product of the two since events are independent)

x + x - x^2 = .84
x^2 -2x +.84 = 0
100x^2 - 200x + 84 = 0
Sufficient.

P('not A' and 'not B') = P(not A)*P(not B) = P(not A)*P(not A) = .16 (Since P(B) = P(A), P(not B) = P(not A). Also they are independent events so P that both don't occur is product of P(not A) and P(not B)
P(not A) = .40
So P(A) = .6

On similar lines,
P(B)*P(not A) = 0.24
x(1 - x) = .24
x could be 0.6 and 1-x would be 0.4 then OR x could be 0.4 and 1-x would be 0.6 then. Hence we don't get a unique value for x
Not sufficient.

Answer (A)

Hi,

But if you consider the case in which both A and B are disjoint, then statement 1 by itself won't be sufficient.

So I think the answer is E.

Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:

Insufficient.

Assume that P(A) = x.

x + x - x^2 = .84
x^2 -2x +.84 = 0
100x^2 - 200x + 84 = 0
Sufficient.

P(not A) = .40
So P(A) = .6

On similar lines,
P(B)*P(not A) = 0.24
x(1 - x) = .24
Not sufficient.

Answer (A)

I think this is where I got confused with statement 1. I interpreted "The probability that at least one of events A and B" as the following probability:

P(A or B or both) rather than ...

P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

VeritasKarishma can you clarify?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [4]
Send PM
Kudos