Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 04:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:57) correct 17% (00:48) wrong based on 113 sessions
Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join flocks of migrating crookbeaks with which they share the same summer and winter territories. If a jay becomes separated from the crookbeaks it is accompanying, it wanders until it comes across another flock of crookbeaks. Clearly, therefore, Croton's jays lack the navigational ability to find their way south on their own.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?
A. Croton's jays lay their eggs in the nests of crookbeaks, which breed upon completing their southern migration.
B. The three species most closely related to crookbeaks do not migrate at all.
C. In the spring, Croton's jays migrate north in the company of Tattersall warblers.
D. Species other than Croton's jays occasionally accompany flocks of migrating crookbeaks.
E. In the spring, crookbeaks migrate north before Croton's jays do.

Since I'm not a native speaker, I really can't understand the latter part in A "which breed upon completing their southern migration." what does this mean? Appreciated if anyone care to help!!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Duke '15
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-prep:Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 06:28
Since I'm not a native speaker, I really can't understand the latter part in A "which breed upon completing their southern migration." what does this mean? Appreciated if anyone care to help!!

It means they reproduce after they have completed their journey. i.e have sex and give birth

Show Thanks to fellow members with Kudos its shows your appreciation and its free

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-prep:Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 08:12
nammers wrote:

It means they reproduce after they have completed their journey. i.e have sex and give birth

Thanks , I got C the first time but this choice really bothers me. I thought breed upon was a phrase here. Now I understand that upon and breed are separate words.

So crookbeaks will breed after migrating to South and Crotons lay their eggs to take advantage of their breeding period. A may explain why they share the same habitat, but still doesn't explain why crotons would wait till another flock comes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-prep:Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 08:34
C talks about Tattersall warblers...which is not even mentioned in the passage...

pls help understand how did you choose C
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 904 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-prep:Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 10:49
DeeptiM wrote:
C talks about Tattersall warblers...which is not even mentioned in the passage...

pls help understand how did you choose C

A term, noun or a premise can be introduced from outside in case of weaken and strengthen type questions. C strengthens the author's conclusion that Croton's jays lack navigational skill to travel south by showing that they don't need crookbeaks for anything else except for the navigation. The hint is provided by showing that Croton's jays follow another species altogether to travel north because they also take them to their destination. The only concern I had was the word "north"; the argument talks about south. However, if we just generalize the conclusion by saying that the jays lack migrating navigation skill altogether, C fits in.

"A" weakens the argument by showing an alternate reason for tailgating. It says; no-no, jays follow crookbeaks because they need a place to usher their eggs, not because they need navigation.

"B" talks about a completely out of scope fact. Croton jays are not even mentioned.

"D" doesn't say anything about Croton's jays. We need to know whether jays need navigation and here's "D", talking about other species that don't concern the problem in hand.

"E" says crookbeaks migrate north in spring. Conclusion is about the lacking navigational skill to travel South. At best, it actually weakens the argument by suggesting that jays will travel north without crookbeaks help. But, who knows if they have some other buddies who can help them get to north; someone like Tattersall warblers. However, we shouldn't assume that.

Ans: "C"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-prep:Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 11:34
Here we need to strengthen the conclusion that " Jays lack the navigational ability to find their way to the south".

Option C directly supporting the conclusion by stating that jays depend on another species warbler to migrate migrate north
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 23

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR-prep:Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 00:54
This post received
KUDOS
sleepysnowy wrote:
Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join flocks of migrating crookbeaks with which they share the same summer and winter territories. If a jay becomes separated from the crookbeaks it is accompanying, it wanders until it comes across another flock of crookbeaks. Clearly, therefore, Croton's jays lack the navigational ability to find their way south on their own.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?
A. Croton's jays lay their eggs in the nests of crookbeaks, which breed upon completing their southern migration.- Does it work in any way to strengthen ?
B. The three species most closely related to crookbeaks do not migrate at all.-So what ? does not convey the message, at best left us more confusecd!
C. In the spring, Croton's jays migrate north in the company of Tattersall warblers.- This some ways shows it requires some ones else company to move around- so proabable, keep it
D. Species other than Croton's jays occasionally accompany flocks of migrating crookbeaks.- we are not looking for anything other than C Jay's or are we ?
E. In the spring, crookbeaks migrate north before Croton's jays do.- same reason as D

Since I'm not a native speaker, I really can't understand the latter part in A "which breed upon completing their southern migration." what does this mean? Appreciated if anyone care to help!! - crookbeaks do breeding after migrtaing to south. Anyways this was not any issue I guess while solving the question

So C seems to be the best available option!

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-prep:Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 02:04
Clearly C, it is the only solution that strengthens the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 12:45
i got this on the second gprep test. I answered E because this shows that it is indeed crookbeaks who dont need directions. Although C could imply that jays may not need directions but need company, Again since they were talking about northbound flight i ignored this option.

I guess i was wrong! but this question doesnt seem convincing
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 20:05
In the arguement it is mentioned that Jay's fly with crookbeaks when migrating south. When Jay's are left behind for any reasons, they wander till they find another flock of Crrokbeaks that are migrating south.

Option C talks about how Jay's accompany Tattersall warblers while migrating north.

Hence it can be said that Jay's lack navigational skills.
Re: Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join   [#permalink] 22 May 2012, 20:05