Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 676 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 05:20
IMO A.

The entire argument is on migration to South and even the last concluding statement says so - Croton's jays lack the navigational ability to find their way south on their own.

How can C be correct OA? I think this is a SHELL GAME Fallacy. It is talking abt North while we need to strengthen the Southern migration.

If the conclusion says - Croton's jays lack the navigational ability to find their way, then C would be correct.

Any more reasoning?

AndersonBound wrote:
Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join flocks of migrating crookbeaks with which they share the summer and winter territories. If a jay becomes separated from the crookbeaks it is accompanying, it wanders until it comes across another flock of crookbeaks. Clearly, therefore, Croton's jays lack the navigational ability to find their way south on their own.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument above?
A - Croton's jays lay their eggs in the nest of crookbeaks, which breed upon completing their southern migration.
B - The three species of most closely related to crookbeaks do not migrate at all.
C - In the spring, Croton's jays migrate north in the company of Tattersall warblers.
D - Species other than Croton's jays occasionally accompany flocks of migrating crookbeaks.
E - In the spring, crookbeaks migrate north before Croton's jays do.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C

Not a clue for the rhyme or reason why the OA is what it is. Anyone care to shed some light?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 03:42
So we are down to C and E by POE.
Choice E does not strengthen because it is just stating that the crookbeaks leave before the Jays. It does not mean that the jays follow them soon after, or at all. That will be assuming too much...which is what the question wants us to do
Choice C strengthen since we now know that the jays follow the Crookbreak to the south and then follow the warbler on the way back. So they could be lacking the navigational skill. We can also see that the information are more specific compared to (E)

If we able to eliminate choice E, then that will leave just C

p/s: birds that migrate do migrate in both directions. Example, birds in the cold,northern climate would go south for winter and then come back for spring/summer when the weather is warmer..it is fun to watch...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 01:59
Yes only is the choice however it is not absolute... but as they say... it is best among others
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 06:01
source pls ?

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 07:58
c
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 10:24
C. thanks for the question.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 14:48
AndersonBound wrote:
Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join flocks of migrating crookbeaks with which they share the summer and winter territories. If a jay becomes separated from the crookbeaks it is accompanying, it wanders until it comes across another flock of crookbeaks. Clearly, therefore, Croton's jays lack the navigational ability to find their way south on their own.

A - Croton's jays lay their eggs in the nest of crookbeaks, which breed upon completing their southern migration.
-->irrelevant, does not strengthen or weaken
B - The three species of most closely related to crookbeaks do not migrate at all.
-->irrelevant information
C - In the spring, Croton's jays migrate north in the company of Tattersall warblers.
-->this looks promising...in the fall CJ's fly with crookbeaks because their navigation is weak and in the spring they fly with other birds because they may also need help
D - Species other than Croton's jays occasionally accompany flocks of migrating crookbeaks.
-->additional information but not what we are looking for
-->weakens the argument, if crookbeaks migrate north before CJ's then the crookbeaks are not more superior at navigating but just may have a head start
C

Not a clue for the rhyme or reason why the OA is what it is. Anyone care to shed some light?

I burned 2 min 20 sec on this one but came up with the right choice C.
We are looking to strengthen this argument so we need to strengthen the statement that Croton Jay's are bad at navigating so they need to rely on others to get to the right location.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 21:45
option C. its crystal clearly stated in the statement that C - In the spring, Croton's jays migrate north in the company of Tattersall warblers. so they lacks the Navigation ability.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 20:35
C is correct but it is not conclusive. The fact that they travel both directions with two different species suggests that navigation is the reason. The reason could also be a symbiotic relationship between the two but we do not have info on the survival habits of the two different accompanying species. The chance/probability that the two species would help the crotons jays in the same manner other than navigationally is halved in C thereby somewhat strengthening the original statement---Catch my drift? :-D The key word is "strengthens" ie not conclusive but very suggestive. (A)is definitely not the answer. --I am not sure where the reasoning is coming from (shell game fallacy???---how does that come into play???). These questions are often simple and straightforward reread the question and do not try to overthink it.
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 01:18
C is perfect

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 01:17
AndersonBound wrote:

A - Croton's jays lay their eggs in the nest of crookbeaks, which breed upon completing their southern migration.=> irrelevant, the argument is about navigational ability, not about the eggs laying.
B - The three species of most closely related to crookbeaks do not migrate at all.=> irrelevant, there is no detail in the argument concerning the other 3 species.
C - In the spring, Croton's jays migrate north in the company of Tattersall warblers.=> this is correct. Because the Croton's Jays lack the navigational ability, they need the warblers to help them.
D - Species other than Croton's jays occasionally accompany flocks of migrating crookbeaks.=> like B
E - In the spring, crookbeaks migrate north before Croton's jays do.=> irrelevant, this answer does not strengthen the argument.

C

The C is the best answer among the answers given, but it is not the most ideal answer in the world. This one is tricky. But POE is useful here, it took me one and half of a minute

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 09:21
A >> Irrelevant for the most
B >> Irrelevant. If analysed, somewhat strengthens the conclusion
D >> Weakens the conclusion
E >> Weakens the conclusion

C is the best fit as it directly relates to migratory instincts of the bird.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 09:26
Except C, other choices either stay neutral to or weaken the argument.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 03:43
C is the best. C strengthens the conclusion that Croton's jays lack navigational skills.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 16:30
This was hard! especially on the test- i zeroed in on C and E

- Croton's jays lay their eggs in the nest of crookbeaks, which breed upon completing their southern migration.

I chose E because this shows that crookbeaks dont join Crotons and the case is reverse as stated. But this is already obvious from the mention of the lost croton wandering around. Hence C by elimination! nasty
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 04:19
Should be C.

What needs to be strengthened is "Croton's jays lack the navigational ability to find their way south on their own"

Only option C does that
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 12:32
C !
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 07:28
No reasoning gap therefore calls for defender answer choice usage.

C does the trick.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR, Croton's Jays [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 09:10
Doesn't the conclusion of this argument state that "Croton's jays lack the navigational ability to find their way SOUTH on their own"?. Option C verifies that they lack navigational ability but not specifically while heading south. I would have chosen option E becuase it rectifies that the jays need help only going south since they are able to fly north on their own.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 16:12
C. Process of elimination although I think this question is difficult because C doesn't make complete sense either. I was looking for an answer with jays in general, not Croton's jays.
Re: Every fall Croton's jays migrate south. The jays always join   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2012, 16:12