Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [18]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Can BEING be correct on SC section? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nice distinction, Sarai!

For OP, notice that the incorrect example above ("Joe is being a student") is incorrect not because of the construction, but because of the intended meaning distinction Sarai discussed. For example, during teacher training sometimes individuals role play both teachers and students. I observed the following situation in my actual life:

Trainee #1: I don't get it! Why is #2 so hard?!
Person Passing By: I thought he was a teacher-- why doesn't he know the answer?
Trainee #2: We're role-playing--he is being a student right now.

Even in this situation, there are better ways to express this thought (He is *pretending to be* a student or *role-playing* a student), but it is technically acceptable. It's what about what you intend to express.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Let's take a closer look at what "being" really means; then you'll always be able to tell when 'being' has been used correctly:

Consider the following:

Incorrect: Joe is being a student. (Joe just is a student.)

Correct: Joe is being annoying.

Why does it 'sound wrong' to say that he is being a student, but it 'sounds right' to say that he is being annoying?

What 'being' indicates is a process-- that is, something you can control, can turn on and off. You use 'being' when someone/something is in a process.

Ex. (correct usage): The apartment being renovated will sell quickly in the current market. (=The apartment that is in the process of being renovated...)

If the verb or description is just a state of being (not a process of being), as in, "I am happy," then 'being' doesn't make sense. You cannot say, "I am being happy" because an emotional state is not process that can be turned on and off.

This is why most of the time noun+being is incorrect on the SC.

One last note: You can use 'being' as a subject or object.

Ex. I like being a student.
Ex. Being a student can be fun.

For a list of 'being' phrases that are ALWAYS incorrect on the GMAT, checkout the Modifiers lesson at gmaxonline!

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Could you please explain how come being is right is correct in the following GMAT PREP question:

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer's Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.

E. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright's Native Son and Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man

OA is E. I tried using your concept but couldn't apply it well.
Plz help :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
CaptainM wrote:
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Let's take a closer look at what "being" really means; then you'll always be able to tell when 'being' has been used correctly:

Consider the following:

Why does it 'sound wrong' to say that he is being a student, but it 'sounds right' to say that he is being annoying?

What 'being' indicates is a process-- that is, something you can control, can turn on and off. You use 'being' when someone/something is in a process.

Ex. (correct usage): The apartment being renovated will sell quickly in the current market. (=The apartment that is in the process of being renovated...)

If the verb or description is just a state of being (not a process of being), as in, "I am happy," then 'being' doesn't make sense. You cannot say, "I am being happy" because an emotional state is not process that can be turned on and off.

For a list of 'being' phrases that are ALWAYS incorrect on the GMAT, checkout the Modifiers lesson at gmaxonline!

Could you please explain how come being is right is correct in the following GMAT PREP question:

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer's Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.

E. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright's Native Son and Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man

I think the primary issue here is not of the "BEING", here in the above question we are comparing the novel written by one author to the novel written by another author.

In the question Jean Toomer's Cane (novel) has been compared to the Richard Wright (author) which is not correct comparison.

E is correct because novel of Jean Toomer is compared to the novel of Richard Wright and novel of Ralph Ellison.

Hope I'm making some sense! :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
CaptainM wrote:
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:

Consider the following:

Hi CaptainM,

Since you cannot add an independent clause (full sentence with a subject and verb) onto the end of the sentence, after the dash, you cannot use the verb "are," and must use a participle (--ing) instead. Generally speaking, you take "being" out of the sentence whenever you can, and in this case there is no way to create the additional info without the "being".

I hope that makes some sense.

Best,
Sarai
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Hi,

I spotted a "being" sentence in OG 10th. Look at question #183 of SC. The problem is not about being, but still it's interesting to see that the final sentence is correct:

Quote:
Archaeologists in Ireland believe that a recently discovered chalice, which dates from the eighth century, was probably buried to keep it from being stolen by invaders.

Here being is correct.

As a sideline, the problem of this question was about "to keep it from".
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Re: Everyone knows BEING is considered redundant but can this be [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Everyone knows BEING is considered redundant but can this be [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts