Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 01:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2007
Posts: 144
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 03:34
OlgaN wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


A is correct/
1/ must be "me"
2/everyone is singular thus it requires the singular verb was.
3/except>accept


Olgan - Why "me" over "I". Whats wrong with "I", is there any grammer rule for chosing "me" over "I". ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 320
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 06:43
yash500 wrote:
OlgaN wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


A is correct/
1/ must be "me"
2/everyone is singular thus it requires the singular verb was.
3/except>accept


Olgan - Why "me" over "I". Whats wrong with "I", is there any grammer rule for chosing "me" over "I". ?


There sure is. The rule is, "choose the object pronoun me over the subject pronoun I if the pronoun is part of the object of the sentence". In this sentence the subject is Everyone, whereas pitcher and me are the objects.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2007
Posts: 370
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 11:41
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


Going for A.

Me - since its the object. Subject is everyone

And since everyone is singular - so the "was"
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 13:02
spider wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


Going for A.

Me - since its the object. Subject is everyone

And since everyone is singular - so the "was"


I agree that it's A, but wanted to point out the particular reason. Me is correctly in the objective case, because it is the object of the preposition except. The whole prepositional phrase except the pitcher and me is technically part of the subject of the sentence: Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me

It can be difficult to tell the difference between nominative and objective cases when you have compound noun phrases, such as the pitcher and me. One test that may be helpful is asking how you would handle me by itself: would you say Everyone except me or everyone except I? The first phrase is correct, and adding the pitcher and doesn't change the result.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 169
Location: Berkeley, CA
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 19:08
johnrb wrote:
spider wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


Going for A.

Me - since its the object. Subject is everyone

And since everyone is singular - so the "was"


I agree that it's A, but wanted to point out the particular reason. Me is correctly in the objective case, because it is the object of the preposition except. The whole prepositional phrase except the pitcher and me is technically part of the subject of the sentence: Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me

It can be difficult to tell the difference between nominative and objective cases when you have compound noun phrases, such as the pitcher and me. One test that may be helpful is asking how you would handle me by itself: would you say Everyone except me or everyone except I? The first phrase is correct, and adding the pitcher and doesn't change the result.


I don't get why its not C....

Whats the OA?

Isn't it wrong to say "Everyone but me was injured" and shouldn't it be "Everyone but I was injured"?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 584
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 19:48
yash500 wrote:
OlgaN wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


A is correct/
1/ must be "me"
2/everyone is singular thus it requires the singular verb was.
3/except>accept


Olgan - Why "me" over "I". Whats wrong with "I", is there any grammer rule for chosing "me" over "I". ?


Because here "everyone" is the subject and "pitcher and me" are objects.
For objective class we use me instead of I. "I" is used when it is a subject .
Go for A
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 20:53
ashkrs wrote:
yash500 wrote:
OlgaN wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


A is correct/
1/ must be "me"
2/everyone is singular thus it requires the singular verb was.
3/except>accept


Olgan - Why "me" over "I". Whats wrong with "I", is there any grammer rule for chosing "me" over "I". ?


Because here "everyone" is the subject and "pitcher and me" are objects.
For objective class we use me instead of I. "I" is used when it is a subject .
Go for A



I think the right answer is C. We need the nominative case.

We don't say - Me was injured - do we?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 649
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 21:05
I would go with (C).

everyone - was injured && I - was injured
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 22:11
dwivedys wrote:
ashkrs wrote:
yash500 wrote:
OlgaN wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


A is correct/
1/ must be "me"
2/everyone is singular thus it requires the singular verb was.
3/except>accept


Olgan - Why "me" over "I". Whats wrong with "I", is there any grammer rule for chosing "me" over "I". ?


Because here "everyone" is the subject and "pitcher and me" are objects.
For objective class we use me instead of I. "I" is used when it is a subject .
Go for A



I think the right answer is C. We need the nominative case.

We don't say - Me was injured - do we?


True--but we do say Everyone with me was injured. The grammar here is the same.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 22:17
stopper5 wrote:
johnrb wrote:
spider wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


Going for A.

Me - since its the object. Subject is everyone

And since everyone is singular - so the "was"


I agree that it's A, but wanted to point out the particular reason. Me is correctly in the objective case, because it is the object of the preposition except. The whole prepositional phrase except the pitcher and me is technically part of the subject of the sentence: Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me

It can be difficult to tell the difference between nominative and objective cases when you have compound noun phrases, such as the pitcher and me. One test that may be helpful is asking how you would handle me by itself: would you say Everyone except me or everyone except I? The first phrase is correct, and adding the pitcher and doesn't change the result.


I don't get why its not C....

Whats the OA?

Isn't it wrong to say "Everyone but me was injured" and shouldn't it be "Everyone but I was injured"?


From the American Heritage Book of English Usage:

personal pronouns after except. Just like but, except in the sense of “with the exclusion of” or “other than” is generally viewed as a preposition, not a conjunction. Therefore, a personal pronoun that follows except should be in the objective case: No one except me knew it. Every member of the original cast was signed except her.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2007, 22:45
johnrb wrote:
stopper5 wrote:
johnrb wrote:
spider wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


Going for A.

Me - since its the object. Subject is everyone

And since everyone is singular - so the "was"


I agree that it's A, but wanted to point out the particular reason. Me is correctly in the objective case, because it is the object of the preposition except. The whole prepositional phrase except the pitcher and me is technically part of the subject of the sentence: Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me

It can be difficult to tell the difference between nominative and objective cases when you have compound noun phrases, such as the pitcher and me. One test that may be helpful is asking how you would handle me by itself: would you say Everyone except me or everyone except I? The first phrase is correct, and adding the pitcher and doesn't change the result.


I don't get why its not C....

Whats the OA?

Isn't it wrong to say "Everyone but me was injured" and shouldn't it be "Everyone but I was injured"?


From the American Heritage Book of English Usage:

personal pronouns after except. Just like but, except in the sense of “with the exclusion of” or “other than” is generally viewed as a preposition, not a conjunction. Therefore, a personal pronoun that follows except should be in the objective case: No one except me knew it. Every member of the original cast was signed except her.


Thanks John.. I see your point as well as my mistake. You've cleared a long-standing cobweb from my head.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2007, 18:07
johnrb wrote:
stopper5 wrote:
johnrb wrote:
spider wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


Going for A.

Me - since its the object. Subject is everyone

And since everyone is singular - so the "was"


I agree that it's A, but wanted to point out the particular reason. Me is correctly in the objective case, because it is the object of the preposition except. The whole prepositional phrase except the pitcher and me is technically part of the subject of the sentence: Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me

It can be difficult to tell the difference between nominative and objective cases when you have compound noun phrases, such as the pitcher and me. One test that may be helpful is asking how you would handle me by itself: would you say Everyone except me or everyone except I? The first phrase is correct, and adding the pitcher and doesn't change the result.


I don't get why its not C....

Whats the OA?

Isn't it wrong to say "Everyone but me was injured" and shouldn't it be "Everyone but I was injured"?


From the American Heritage Book of English Usage:

personal pronouns after except. Just like but, except in the sense of “with the exclusion of” or “other than” is generally viewed as a preposition, not a conjunction. Therefore, a personal pronoun that follows except should be in the objective case: No one except me knew it. Every member of the original cast was signed except her.


Bang, on Target. OA is 'A'
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 21:56
yash500 wrote:
OlgaN wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


A is correct/
1/ must be "me"
2/everyone is singular thus it requires the singular verb was.
3/except>accept


Olgan - Why "me" over "I". Whats wrong with "I", is there any grammer rule for chosing "me" over "I". ?



Yes there is a grammer rule: just sound it out like this:

Dave and I went to the park. rephrase w/o dave, I went to the park. You don't say Me went to the park!

The picnic was attended by Dave and me. The picnic was attended by me.

You dont say the picnic was attended by I.

A is correct b/c Everyone demands the singular was. and me is correct here.

everyone but me-- Correct

Everyone but I--- INcorrect. your ears should beable to pick that up.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Posts: 87
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Everyone [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 11:20
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
yash500 wrote:
OlgaN wrote:
Beyond700 wrote:
Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured in that game.

(b) except the pitcher and me were
(c) except the pitcher and I was
(d) except the pitcher and I were
(e) accept the pitcher and me was


A is correct/
1/ must be "me"
2/everyone is singular thus it requires the singular verb was.
3/except>accept


Olgan - Why "me" over "I". Whats wrong with "I", is there any grammer rule for chosing "me" over "I". ?



Yes there is a grammer rule: just sound it out like this:

Dave and I went to the park. rephrase w/o dave, I went to the park. You don't say Me went to the park!

The picnic was attended by Dave and me. The picnic was attended by me.

You dont say the picnic was attended by I.

A is correct b/c Everyone demands the singular was. and me is correct here.

everyone but me-- Correct

Everyone but I--- INcorrect. your ears should beable to pick that up.


Yes, I am going with A as well...

the explanation provided by gmatbalckbelt was exactly the same as what I read from PR Grammer smart...
Re: SC - Everyone   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2007, 11:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Algebra: both sides of the equation HeyArnold 1 10 Jul 2011, 06:29
Defying efforts by policymakers on both sides of the sondenso 9 05 Jun 2008, 01:28
Except for you and I, everyone brought a present to the vscid 6 15 Feb 2008, 18:37
both sides vs. each side Ravshonbek 14 09 Oct 2007, 16:56
With the exception of Frank and I, everyone in the class faifai0714 18 05 Oct 2006, 01:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Everyone on both sides except the pitcher and me was injured

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.