Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:39

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from MGMAT CAT question [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 07:52
Nothing except C follows from the argument mentioned.
clean C here.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

4 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 898 [4] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from MGMAT CAT question [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
voodoochild wrote:
Source: MGMAT cat

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions?

A: Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.

This will be true only if EVERY graduate with more than 150-IQ APPLIED for at least 1 ivy-league school. If EVEN ONE of those uber intelligent 150-IQ fellows did not apply for ANY ivy-league, this statement fails.

B: If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.

This is tricky. He/She could have been a student at Topnotch. For sure he/she did not GRADUATE from Topnotch. He/She might have failed and later graduated from somewhere else OR might have simply transferred his/her school.

C: If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.

This is definitely possible. Because if she/he graduated from Topnotch, for sure he/she has more than 120-IQ. This person can very well be one of those graduates. Note: it is possible for him or her

D: At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
This is tricky AND second most likely choice. Because, we don't know whether he/she has >150IQ, we can't be sure of this. If ALL graduates from TopNotch have an IQ between 119 and 150, exclusive, then it is possible that some could be accepted but there is no guarantee that he HAS been accepted. The question type is must be true and we should make sure that no way the statement can be false. If you present one case that invalidates the statement, reject it.

e.g.
If there are 1 million blue balls and 1 yellow ball in a jar.
If a man randomly picks a ball, that ball should be blue in color. NOT TRUE for this question type.
If a man randomly picks a ball, it is highly likely that ball is blue in color. COULD BE TRUE but eliminate other choices.
If a man randomly picks a ball, it cannot be red in color. 100% true. No need for elimination.

E: If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.
We need to think a step further. Alright the student has applied and is accepted. Then she changed her mind and went for some non-ivy league school. In this case, she is not attending ivy-league but she applied and was of course accepted.

My approach for this:
Don't follow the elimination process. Just tick the right choice and go ahead. I chose "C" because I knew it was correct, I didn't bother to dig into rest of the choices.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Stockholm School of Economics (MSc Finance) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 04:23
agree with C
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 07:53
durgesh79, I liked your reasoning for dropping B, but your reasoning for dropping A is just like missing the forest b/c of the trees. The extreme word EVERY is enough. I.e. not ALL graduates of TN were accepted. Some people may not apply at all; no need to point to issue of "equal and greater than " OR "greater than" 150. However, that's right, too.

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 11:08
yep C is the answer
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 22:22
before reading the questions:
all TN has 120+
most 120+ and all 150+ are accepted.
now possibilities:
1. there might be a TN with 150+.
2. there might be all TN'S are between 120-150.
3. there can be at least 1 person with 120+ which is from TN.

(A) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school. W-TN MIGHT CONCLUDE ONLY 120-130 OR 120-140 OR 120 TO 149
(B) If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School. W-IT REVERSES THE LOGIC OF THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE. IF A (TN) then B(120+). if not A then not B. THE ANSWER CLAIMS IF NOT B THEN NOT A.
(C) If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School. R- it is possible since all TN are 120+ (possibility 3 bove)
(D) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them. W-MOST WITH 120+ ARE ACCEPTED, BUT ID DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT MUST BE A TN WITH 120+. IT CAN BE OTHER SCHOOLS.
(E) If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them. W- MUST ADMIT. I DID NOT SEE ANY CONNECTION TO THE EVIDENCE IN THE QUESTION.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 00:33
I also agree with C as the answer.... but cannot negate the option D..... need help on this one.....
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 37

Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 02:33
Why not D The text claims that most 120(NOT ALL) and higher accepted.

Lets say that TN has 100 students with 120+. And lets say that total people in the world with 120+ is 10000.

So if most 120+ are accepted it can be from 1-100 TN and from 4901 TO 9998 from others (1 fromTN and 9998 from others (9999 is most of 10000) is still "most" and 100 from TN and and 4901 from others (5001 is most of 10000)

But it can be also 0 from TN and 5001 to 9999 from others, and still holds to the term "most".

so to say that at least 1 student from TN is accepted is False( because we see that accepting O(none) from TN and 5001 i.e from the total applicants is still accepting most 120+)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 15:37
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 00:11
simply C

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: TopNotch High School And Ivy League [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:29
+1 for C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: TopNotch High School And Ivy League [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 19:51
I also go with C
A-It is most students not every student
B-too extreme
C- Correct over 120 & in one of Ivy league college
D -why at least one when it says most
E- not in scope
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Schulich '16
GPA: 3.99
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 06:33
Yeah I agree with you..this question looks quite vague..where you cannot rule out any option outright
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 12:20
yavasani wrote:
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

(A) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
(B) If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
(C) If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
(D) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
(E) If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

Student of e-GMAT here. I used their process to come up with the correct answer. However, it definitely took me over the 2 min mark (at around 3 mins and 30 seconds) and this was difficult due to its tricky wording. Nevertheless, here's my process.

Conclusion: MOST students (not all) with an IQ of 120+ and ALL students with 150+ who apply to one or more Ivy League universities get accepted to at least one Ivy League university.
Phew...kinda long, but makes a lot of sense.

The only premise we have to work with is that TN Highschool has students with IQs of over 120. Which means that if these students apply to 1+ Ivy league universities, most of them are likely to get into at least one of them.

Basic pre-thinking: I won't lie here, but this was somewhat challenging for me. I came up with some flimsy assumptions in this. I'd love to see what you guys think about them.
- IQ is the only factor required here for university admissions with 150+ scores
- Students are likely to apply to Ivy league university. (I quickly realised that this was a false assumption and scratched it off).

Alright! With some pre-thinking, I at least had a better idea of the argument, so I could move onto the answer choices.

A. This does not have to be true. Some students may not have applied to an Ivy league university (or any university to begin with). Out.
B. Not necessarily true. What if IQ goes down with age? I was great at tennis 10 years ago as a kid, but now I absolutely suck at it (even when playing with a 12 year old). No where in the argument does it state that IQ remains stable with age.
C. Yeah. This seems right.
D. Well maybe. Let's say that there are 100 students at this school. 99 students decided to start working after high school. The remaining student applied to only one Ivy league university and his score happened to be 125. Although it is likely that he'll get accepted, it is not certain that he will.
E. She could have applied but decided not to go.

C is the right choice.
I definitely struggled with B and D. First in comprehending what they were saying and then in thinking of cases where the statements could fall apart.

Hope this thorough breakdown of my process helps others.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 238

CAT Tests
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 09:27
C is the correct answer. although previously i opted for E.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

INSEAD Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 98

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 12:58
To be more precise on E's confusion it can be said acceptance and attendance are two different things, hence its not conclusive. Remember we have to be in the scope of the argument when deriving conclusion. Assumptions is a different game but conclusion has to be substantial. Since answer choice E talks about attendance and argument doesnt we can discard E

Posted from my mobile device Image

Cheers
Farhan

http://gmatfarhan.blogspot.in

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 18:24
durgesh79 wrote:

B. If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
>> he could be a student of TN highschool ... but he wont graduate from it ... drop

Answer C

Please read the choice more carefully. It says that this fictitious person is already a high school graduate. Whether he will or will not graduate from TopNotch High School is a rather moot point. Already a high school graduate.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 01:28
Can anyone modify the sentence D so that it can become a correct answer? :roll:

yavasani wrote:

(A) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
(B) If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
(C) If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
(D) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
(E) If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1125 [1] , given: 219

Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 01:44
This post received
KUDOS
haihai89 wrote:

yavasani wrote:

Well, the problem with D is that, for example,if only one student applied we can't be 100% sure that he will be accepted. Moreover we do not know nothing about his IQ, which affects his chances. So we need to correct these parts of the answer choice.

(D) At least one graduate -with a QI of over 150- from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.

This works because we know that "students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them"; I removed "at least one" also because ALL 150+ students who apply are accepted, not at least one.

I think this would work because it's basically a rewording of the later part of the second sentence.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 17:32
Dear Zarrolou,
Thanks for your explanation. You said that we know nothing about his IQ, but from the question, we have already known that he must have IQ of over 120. Furthermore, "most students with an IQ of over 120...are accepted...". So I infer that among all TN students who applied to Ivy League uni., there will be at leat one accepted.
For the OA C, I just wonder that "it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School." is not a good conclusion (I donot say that it's wrong) because he or she can be from any high school in the world.
Above is my few thoughts. Correct me if I'm wrong. Again, thanks guy!

Zarrolou wrote:
haihai89 wrote:

yavasani wrote:

Well, the problem with D is that, for example,if only one student applied we can't be 100% sure that he will be accepted. Moreover we do not know nothing about his IQ, which affects his chances. So we need to correct these parts of the answer choice.

(D) At least one graduate -with a QI of over 150- from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.

This works because we know that "students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them"; I removed "at least one" also because ALL 150+ students who apply are accepted, not at least one.

I think this would work because it's basically a rewording of the later part of the second sentence.
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2013, 17:32