Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 10:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (02:09) correct 54% (01:22) wrong based on 312 sessions
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions?

(A) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
(B) If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
(C) If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
(D) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
(E) If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
4 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 863 [4] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from MGMAT CAT question [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
voodoochild wrote:
Source: MGMAT cat

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

A: Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.

This will be true only if EVERY graduate with more than 150-IQ APPLIED for at least 1 ivy-league school. If EVEN ONE of those uber intelligent 150-IQ fellows did not apply for ANY ivy-league, this statement fails.

B: If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.

This is tricky. He/She could have been a student at Topnotch. For sure he/she did not GRADUATE from Topnotch. He/She might have failed and later graduated from somewhere else OR might have simply transferred his/her school.

C: If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.

This is definitely possible. Because if she/he graduated from Topnotch, for sure he/she has more than 120-IQ. This person can very well be one of those graduates. Note: it is possible for him or her

D: At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
This is tricky AND second most likely choice. Because, we don't know whether he/she has >150IQ, we can't be sure of this. If ALL graduates from TopNotch have an IQ between 119 and 150, exclusive, then it is possible that some could be accepted but there is no guarantee that he HAS been accepted. The question type is must be true and we should make sure that no way the statement can be false. If you present one case that invalidates the statement, reject it.

e.g.
If there are 1 million blue balls and 1 yellow ball in a jar.
If a man randomly picks a ball, that ball should be blue in color. NOT TRUE for this question type.
If a man randomly picks a ball, it is highly likely that ball is blue in color. COULD BE TRUE but eliminate other choices.
If a man randomly picks a ball, it cannot be red in color. 100% true. No need for elimination.

E: If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.
We need to think a step further. Alright the student has applied and is accepted. Then she changed her mind and went for some non-ivy league school. In this case, she is not attending ivy-league but she applied and was of course accepted.

My approach for this:
Don't follow the elimination process. Just tick the right choice and go ahead. I chose "C" because I knew it was correct, I didn't bother to dig into rest of the choices.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 155 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS

A. Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
>> To be sure we need an IQ of more than 150 ... not just 150 ... drop

B. If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
>> he could be a student of TN highschool ... but he wont graduate from it ... drop

C.If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
>> Keep it ... it is quite possible

D.At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
>> drop it .....

E.If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.
>> we can not say for sure ... may be he applied and got selected also ... but chnaged his mind and not attending becuase of other reasons .... drop it

Answer C
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 78

GMAT Tests User
CR from MGMAT CAT question [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
Source: MGMAT cat

A: Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
B: If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
C: If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
D: At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
E: If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

OA:C

My question is - I took > 5 minutes and still got it wrong. I got the answer later on. But, i havent seen such CRs in OG Sad

Voodoo
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 99

Kudos [?]: 1060 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 01:44
This post received
KUDOS
haihai89 wrote:
Can anyone modify the sentence D so that it can become a correct answer? :roll:

yavasani wrote:

(A) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
(B) If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
(C) If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
(D) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
(E) If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

Well, the problem with D is that, for example,if only one student applied we can't be 100% sure that he will be accepted. Moreover we do not know nothing about his IQ, which affects his chances. So we need to correct these parts of the answer choice.

(D) At least one graduate -with a QI of over 150- from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.

This works because we know that "students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them"; I removed "at least one" also because ALL 150+ students who apply are accepted, not at least one.

I think this would work because it's basically a rewording of the later part of the second sentence.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 99

Kudos [?]: 1060 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 23:23
This post received
KUDOS
haihai89 wrote:
Dear Zarrolou,
Thanks for your explanation. You said that we know nothing about his IQ, but from the question, we have already known that he must have IQ of over 120. Furthermore, "most students with an IQ of over 120...are accepted...". So I infer that among all TN students who applied to Ivy League uni., there will be at leat one accepted.
For the OA C, I just wonder that "it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School." is not a good conclusion (I donot say that it's wrong) because he or she can be from any high school in the world.
Above is my few thoughts. Correct me if I'm wrong. Again, thanks guy!

About the IQ, we have to say that his IQ is 150+ in order to be sure that a student is accepted, because if his IQ is only 120+, his chances are high but we ARE NOT sure that he'll be accepted.

Most students with an IQ of over 120 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

About this part: Furthermore, "most students with an IQ of over 120...are accepted...". So I infer that among all TN students who applied to Ivy League uni., there will be at leat one accepted.<== we cannot say. If only ONE 120 IQ student applies, we can't say that he will be accepted.

About this part:For the OA C, I just wonder that "it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School." is not a good conclusion (I donot say that it's wrong) because he or she can be from any high school in the world. Yes you're correct, that's why we read "it's possible for him (...)"

Hope I've explained myself well

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 10:33
Edit, agree with C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 10:38
I THINK IT IS C...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 10:38
yavasani wrote:

Most of the student with IQ over 120, and all students with IQ over 150 gets accepted.
All gradutae from Topnotch school has IO over 120.

==> Most students from top notch high school gets accepted.

A. Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.

Wrong. IQ = 150 is not sure but IQ more than 150 has 100% chance of getting accepted in atleast 1 student.

B. If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.

Out of scope.

C.If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.

Correct. (over 120 IQ)

D.At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.

Wrong 'its mostly'.

E.If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

Wrong. probably he/she is not passed out of TOPnotch high school.

IMO C
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 10:43
rao_1857 wrote:

IMO C[/quote]

i agree with the answer, but i dont agree with your reason for rejecting E.... no where it says that to get a sure selection both IQ >150 and passed out from TopNotch is required.....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 10:44
durgesh79 wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

IMO C

i agree with the answer, but i dont agree with your reason for rejecting E.... no where it says that to get a sure selection both IQ >150 and passed out from TopNotch is required.....[/quote]

Sorry I messed up. I think the resoning should be - there might be some other reasons , than just applying.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 13:18
To me it's D though little skeptic.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 15:27
rao_1857 wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

IMO C

i agree with the answer, but i dont agree with your reason for rejecting E.... no where it says that to get a sure selection both IQ >150 and passed out from TopNotch is required.....

Sorry I messed up. I think the resoning should be - there might be some other reasons , than just applying.[/quote]

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them

In Option E, a student with an IQ of 150 doesn't belong to the group of students who are over 150. So the score of 150 is within the range of students who have an IQ score of above 120. According to the argument, it says that MOST students get accepted. This also means that not ALL of them do get accepted. So in Option E, it's wrong to say that if the student is not in an Ivy-league school then it means that he never applied because it is possible that the student did apply, but he was among the remaining few students who didn't get accepted.

I also chose C as my answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 18:05
thanks for providing this information
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 22:26
Another C.

OA time?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 11:34
Everyone OA is C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 11:37
straight C
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 11:58
[quote="yavasani"]Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

I fell for the contrapositive trap and chose B.

The stimulus says :

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120.

=> G from TPNH ->IQ>120

!IQ>120 -> !G from TPNH
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 20:32
+1 for C..
But you know what, I clicked on D as the answer... *!@#!*$% ...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Brainy students [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 22:45
I agree with C
Re: CR: Brainy students   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2010, 22:45