Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (02:13) correct 62% (01:15) wrong based on 413 sessions
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following conclusions?

1]Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
2]If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
3]If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
4]At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
5]If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Last edited by WaterFlowsUp on 11 Oct 2013, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
OA Added
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 09:51
IMO B.
As per the argument
Quote:
Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120

Now B is always true
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 13:39
I´ll go for B.
OA please?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 09:01
I am still thinking between B and E. Both statements looks like good conclusions.

I will vote for E.

OA please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 10:28
IMHO E.

Its a possibility that some students may have been students of top Notch at some time but not graduated from the Top Notch school. So IMO B is out.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 11:55
Got it from another forum:

e) If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.

The negative statements are an attempt to flip the positive premise "all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them"

(E) is not a valid GMAT conclusion because of not only the mismatch between exactly 150 and over 150, but also the mismatch between attending and being accepted at an Ivy-League school.

The OA is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 03:43
OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

5 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [5] , given: 6

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
I am surprised that I picked the right answer for this CR. I picked (C)

My reasoning is below

Everyone who has graduated from TopNotch High School has an intelligence quotient (IQ) of over 120. Most students with an IQ of over 120 and all students with an IQ of over 150 who apply to one or more Ivy League universities are accepted to at least one of them.

1]Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.
>>> Every graduate of TopNotch HS will get accepted only if everyone applies. A graduate can get an IQ of 150 but still decide not to apply.

2]If a person is a high-school graduate and has an IQ of less than 100, he or she could not have been a student at TopNotch High School.
>>> We are talking of students graduated from TopNotch High School and not students who were at TopNotch High School. It is quite possible that a student studied at TopNotch High School for few years and then changed HighSchool and got less than 100 when he or she graduated. He/she will still be called as someone who was student at TopNotch High School.

3]If a person has an IQ of 130 and is attending an Ivy-League school, it is possible for him or her to have graduated from TopNotch High School.
>>> THIS IS CORRECT.

4]At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.
>>> Not necessarily.

5]If a high-school graduate has an IQ of 150 and is not attending an Ivy-League school, then he or she did not apply to one of them.
>>> The premise says all students with an IQ of over 150 will get accepted. So we cannot say that a student who has an IQ of 150 will get accepted and that if he is not attending than that is because he did not apply.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 11:37
i choose a but didnt realize the error which is "Ivy-League school"
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 13:40
vscid wrote:

I picked C.

I was down to choice between B and C.
It's not B because it doesn't take the information given about Ivy-league schools into consideration.
C is better choice than B because it doesn't give an absolute answer about the student (like everyone with an IQ above 120 can be an Ivy league student). It uses the term "it is possible for him or her..." which makes it more likely than B.
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 13:41
seekmba wrote:
I am surprised that I picked the right answer for this CR. I picked (C)

My reasoning is below

>>> Every graduate of TopNotch HS will get accepted only if everyone applies. A graduate can get an IQ of 150 but still decide not to apply.

>>> We are talking of students graduated from TopNotch High School and not students who were at TopNotch High School. It is quite possible that a student studied at TopNotch High School for few years and then changed HighSchool and got less than 100 when he or she graduated. He/she will still be called as someone who was student at TopNotch High School.

>>> THIS IS CORRECT.

>>> Not necessarily.

>>> The premise says all students with an IQ of over 150 will get accepted. So we cannot say that a student who has an IQ of 150 will get accepted and that if he is not attending than that is because he did not apply.

your explanation against B is more valid than mine. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 14:59
Wow I completely missed this one. I was between B and E. Good questions or bad, cant really decide
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 12

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 05:47
first replies worried me as I had chosen C :D in 3 min though :/
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 14:29
+1 C 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 19:10
How about A? Plz explain
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 22:11
lost in C and D ..somebody please xplain how to eliminate D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 09:02
+ C
1 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
@seekmba, your explanations for this one are great! People still seem a little confused on A and D, so let's look at those one more time.

A) Every graduate of TopNotch High School with an IQ of 150 has been accepted to at least one Ivy-League school.

We can't conclude that every graduate of TopNotch with a 150+ IQ has APPLIED to an Ivy-League school. If they apply, the argument tells us that they will be accepted to at least one, but there's nothing in the prompt to suggest that every 150+ student applies to at least one Ivy.

D) At least one graduate from TopNotch high school who has applied to at least one Ivy-League university has been accepted to one of them.

Let's say that every TopNotch graduate who applies to an Ivy-League school has an IQ between 120 and 150 (so nobody with a 150+ IQ applies). We only know that MOST students with a 120+ IQ who apply to an Ivy-League school are accepted to at least one. Therefore, there exists the possibility that nobody from TopNotch would be accepted to an Ivy, so D has to be eliminated.

Hope that helps for those two choices!

Jen Rugani
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2010, 17:29
Tough one. Got this one wrong. Thanks for the good explanation!

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Top notch [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 18:04
Manhattan GMAT has labelled this as a 700-800 level question. This one is tough.

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Re: Top notch   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2011, 18:04