Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Everything is high, but Work experience is low.! What to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Everything is high, but Work experience is low.! What to do? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2006, 13:04
Hi Linda...I want to apply to current round - Chicago, Darden, Stanford, Columbia. I think I am a little bit late.

I have strong academic background( awards, olympiad champiobn, GPA=4) and GMAT=750. I am head of my class(at college), ex chairman and co-founder of high-school alumni network, Captain of class intelluectual Game team, and Party Organizer for University Student Union. I am college senior from Azerbaijan (20 years old). I want MBA for FALL 2006. I only have 3 years part-time work, and 5 month work at non-profit organization.

Do you think that it is rational to apply to universities I mentioned above now? And if yes o which? And do they have sympathy to young applicants?
I plan to apply to Darden now. What do you think?

Best,
Wolf

"This one step -- choosing a goal and sticking to it -- changes everything."
-Scott Reed

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Everything is high, but Work experience is low.! What to [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2006, 11:35
MBA Wolf wrote:
Hi Linda...I want to apply to current round - Chicago, Darden, Stanford, Columbia. I think I am a little bit late.

I have strong academic background( awards, olympiad champiobn, GPA=4) and GMAT=750. I am head of my class(at college), ex chairman and co-founder of high-school alumni network, Captain of class intelluectual Game team, and Party Organizer for University Student Union. I am college senior from Azerbaijan (20 years old). I want MBA for FALL 2006. I only have 3 years part-time work, and 5 month work at non-profit organization.

Do you think that it is rational to apply to universities I mentioned above now? And if yes o which? And do they have sympathy to young applicants?
I plan to apply to Darden now. What do you think?

Best,
Wolf

MBA Wolf,

I'll be answering for Linda. Yes, it is late in the game, but strong applicants will get accepted in late rounds, and there are strategic advantages to applying late rather than waiting til next year (see the Accepted.com tip at http://www.accepted.com/newsletter/2004 ... aspx#essay ).

Your Azerbaijani background (unusual) and strong GMAT will get schools' attention, but for many schools your age will be a problem. Of the schools you listed Stanford is known to be sympathetic to college-age and young applicants. Other young-skewing B schools include Harvard, Carnegie Mellon, U. Texas Austin, and UNC (among others).

Good luck!

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

.. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2006, 12:07
Thanks Paul. You gave me more hope. In fact I have already applied to Tuck, MIT, and Harvard in Round 2. I was interviewed by Tuck, and wait for others. In fact, some people said that my Azerbaijani background won't help me, as Azerbaijan is considered a typical post-soviet country.

Also, I was surprised with your knowledge about Azerbaijan.(as you called me Azerbaijani). I think there aren't many students in top schools from my country. But I recently met one in Wharton.

In fact it may seem strange that I apply to many schools, but I don't want to stay here the next year. So, I will applt to Darden now (as it has higher acceptance rate 37%) and to Stanford. I wanted to apply to Chicago too. But I don't think I will be able to undertake so many, and also, you didn't give hope :lol: ....

Hope to return with good news soon..

"This one step -- choosing a goal and sticking to it -- changes everything."
-Scott Reed