Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
51 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 258 [51] , given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 03:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Best tips

GMATClub best users debriefs

GMATClub users debriefs
UserScoreDebrief
bhattman111link
bseb118link
chouky113link
Cielo111link
etienneb102link
irina7k110link
jbanzato107link
Matt1177107link
KingShark117link
Pathfinder108link
rafi109link
rid82109link
samidh117link
saruba107link
serhio109link
skpMatcha104link
snipertrader108link
sushmash111link
s138884111link
Todor95link
triple5soul116link
walker108link
vivsters118link
PeterPaul116link
e1s106link
darc111link
lucasp1589111link

About TOEFL

The TOEFL

TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language - in other words it is English Language Proficiency test that all US Business Schools require International applicants to take. The Internet Based Test or TOEFL iBT is scored from 0 to 120 but schools do not look at it from a scoring standpoint but rather Pass/Fail. Many schools will set a certain minimum that an applicants must get. If you are a native speaker or have been educated at a Western College that used English as the main language of instruction, there is a good chance that TOEFL requirement will be waived. US Residents and graduates of US colleges do not need to take TOEFL.

Sections

TOEFL IBT FORMAT
Test SectionNumber of QuestionsTiming
Reading3-5 passages, 12-14 questions each60-100 minutes
Listening4-6 lectures, 6 questions each 2-3 conversations, 5 questions each60-90 minutes
BREAK8 minutes
Speaking6 tasks, 2 independent, 4 integrated20 minutes
Writing1 integrated task, 1 independent task20 and 30 minutes

* TOEFL is from 0 to 120 (0 to 30 each section).
* The time duration (Reading and Listening sections) is not fixed and it can differ from one exam to another. You can for example receive a longer Reading section (5 passages, 100 minutes) and then a shorter Listening section (4 lectures, 60 minutes), or the other way around.

Speaking section

SPEAKING SECTION
1.Personal PreferenceThis question asks the test taker to express and defend a personal choice from a given category—for example, important people, places, events or activities that the test taker enjoys.Preparation time: 15 seconds
Response time: 45 seconds
2.ChoiceThis question asks the test taker to make and defend a personal choice between two
contrasting behaviors or courses of action.
Preparation time: 15 seconds
Response time: 45 seconds
3.Campus Situation Topic: Fit and Explain• A reading passage (75–100 words) presents a campus-related issue.
• A listening passage (60–80 seconds, 150–180 words) comments on the issue in the reading passage.
• The question asks the test taker to summarize the speaker’s opinion within the context of the reading passage.
Preparation time: 30 seconds
Response time: 60 seconds
4.Academic Course. Topic: General/Specific • A reading passage (75–100 words) broadly defines a term, process, or idea from an academic subject.
• An excerpt from a lecture (60–90 seconds; 150–220 words) provides examples and specific information to illustrate the term, process, or idea from the reading passage.
• The question asks the test taker to combine and convey important information from the reading passage and the lecture excerpt.
Preparation time: 30 seconds
5.Campus Situation Topic: Problem/SolutionThe listening passage (60–90 seconds; 180–220 words) is a conversation about a student-related problem and two possible solutions.
• The question asks the test taker to demonstrate an understanding of the problem and to express an opinion about solving the problem.
Preparation time: 20 seconds
6.Academic Course. Topic: Summary • The listening passage is an excerpt from a lecture (90–120 seconds; 230–280 words) that explains a term or concept and gives concrete examples to illustrate that term or concept.
• The question asks the test taker to summarize the lecture and demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the examples and the overall topic.
Preparation time: 20 seconds

FAQ

What score do top business school require?
* Click here TOEFL score requirements for various schools
toefl-score-requirements-for-most-popular-schools-80110.html

What can I expect from the test center on the exam day?
* Contrary to the GMAT, TOEFL exams are not held in ETS official centers. You can expect taking the exam in a High School or other similar places, with no appropriated facilities.
* There will be a lot of people speaking aloud while you are taking the exam. Some test takers skip the Reading and Listening sections and start speaking very soon.
* Think about wearing earplugs to avoid losing concentration. You may use them during the whole exam turning up to the limit the volume of the headphones provided.

Where can I find the best preparation books?
* Everything you need about preparation books:
best-toefl-preparation-books-resources-reviews-comments-79121.html

How do they grade the Speaking section?
* The Speaking section contains six questions, and each one is scored from 0 to 4 points without decimal values.

For example, you can obtain the following set of results [4,4,3,3,3,3]. Then, they calculate the average of the results (sum of the the six scores divided by number of elements):(4+4+3+3+3+3) / 6 = 20 / 6 = 3.33 and the outcome (3.33) is converted to a 30 points scale.

- Rubric table:

-ETS scoring standards for each speaking question: http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/pd ... ubrics.pdf

How do they grade the Writing section?
* The Writing section contains two questions/essays, and each one is scored from 0.0 to 5.0 points with an interval of 0.5 points. That means that you can score 4.5 or a 4.0 in one of the questions, but you can't get a 4.25.

For example, lets say you obtain the following set of results: [4.5,4]. Then, they calculate the average (sum of the the two scores divided by number of elements): (4.5 + 4) /2 = 9.5 / 2 = 4.25 and the outcome (4.25) is converted to a 30 points scale.

- Rubric table:

- ETS scoring standards for each writing question: http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/pd ... ubrics.pdf

Can I retake the exam?
You can take the exam as many times as you like. There is no restriction.

Is there any TOEFL official statistics?
* Yes, here some statistics from 2009 (thanks to Pkit)
http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL/pd ... y_2009.pdf

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Finance Treasury
WE 2: Entrepreneur
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 10:42
I wonder why the time duration for Reading and listening section is indicated as a range(60-90/60-100 minutes) as compared to a fixed time allocated to other sections? What does this mean?
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 10:53
Great post rid!! Excellent initiative!! +1 when I come online. ;)

Posted from my mobile device Image

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 258 [1] , given: 151

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 16:10
This post received
KUDOS
ankitgarg20 wrote:
I wonder why the time duration for Reading and listening section is indicated as a range(60-90/60-100 minutes) as compared to a fixed time allocated to other sections? What does this mean?

Hi ankitgarg20,

The time duration (and number of questions) is not fixed and it can differ from one exam to another. You can for example receive a longer Reading section (5 passages, 100 minutes) and then a shorter Listening section (4 lectures, 60 minutes). I edited the post.

PS: thanks Hussain15 :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 98 [1] , given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 20:45
This post received
KUDOS
Excellent Post ! Kudos!

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 18:08
Excellent post rid82. The TOEFL section of gmatclub is getting much better now. +1
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 20:01
Thanks so much. This cm is very effective for me :X
Manager
Manager
Schools: Terry, Georgia Tech
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 22

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 12:13
Hey really informative thread... nice job :-D

I have two specific questions though....

1. you mentioned that some people skip few sections and start with speaking... does that mean we are allowed to skip sections in TOEFL and thus arrange the four sections ( RWLS ) according to our preferences?

2. this question is from someone who knew almost nothin about TOEFL before going through the threads in this forum, has 0 preparation and is very anxious :shock: ... compared to gettin a 700 in GMAT, how difficult is it to get above 105 in TOEFL???

Samidh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to get in touch if you feel I can be of some assistance to you. You can find me in Facebook if you search!

Consider giving me some kudos if you like my post

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 258 [2] , given: 151

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 14:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hi samidh, thanks.

samidh wrote:
1. you mentioned that some people skip few sections and start with speaking... does that mean we are allowed to skip sections in TOEFL and thus arrange the four sections ( RWLS ) according to our preferences?

You are not allowed to skip a section and come back later. Once you have skipped it your score will be 0 in that section.

Some people skip the first sections because they are only interested in the score of the Speaking section. For example, some undergraduate universities require a minimum Speaking score, so a guy that has taken the TOEFL and obtained a good scores in all sections but Speaking, can be told to take it again to reach the Speaking requirement.

In my experience, at least 1/5 of the people who were taking the exam in the same room as me, started talking when I was in the middle of my reading section.

samidh wrote:
2. this question is from someone who knew almost nothin about TOEFL before going through the threads in this forum, has 0 preparation and is very anxious :shock: ... compared to gettin a 700 in GMAT, how difficult is it to get above 105 in TOEFL???

In my opinion I would say that for an average person the time/effort to score a 105 in TOEFL is much less that the time/effort to score a 700 in GMAT. But every one is different and really depends on your actual English level.

Good luck!
rid

Intern
Intern

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 10:46
rid82 wrote:
ankitgarg20 wrote:

Hi ankitgarg20,

The time duration (and number of questions) is not fixed and it can differ from one exam to another. You can for example receive a longer Reading section (5 passages, 100 minutes) and then a shorter Listening section (4 lectures, 60 minutes). I edited the post.

PS: thanks Hussain15 :)

This is definitely correct but I should add that from NOV 1st 2011 the reading section in its long format will have 4 passages instead of 5 and therefore the time limit will decrease from 100 minutes to 80 minutes too.

Good Luck in your exams!

Online TOEFL Courses & Practices

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 530 Q31 V31
GMAT 3: 550 Q39 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 08:09
Hi guys,
Anyone here knowing good prep material for mac, as the official prep CD-ROMs are only for windows?
Thanks

SDA

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 23:26
excellent compilation! kudos!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 08:51
excellent
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 20:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all!
Excellent post rid. I came across this post 3 days before my TOEFL exam( I had registerd just a week before test and went through sampler once...thought it would be a piece of cake.....I just needed a 90 to get into the university I applied to) This post actually made me want to prepare for the test..... I took 3 days off from work and literally made notes!!
Today I recived my score.....110....all thanks to you!!
:-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 33

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 10:38
hey guys so how differently does one need to prepare for toefl, meaning is there anything beside the gmat verbal topics that one needs to cover?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 22:44
stevam wrote:
Hi guys,
Anyone here knowing good prep material for mac, as the official prep CD-ROMs are only for windows?
Thanks

Yes you can get the videos preparation from Lynda dot com.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.07

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 17:29
Greate source , thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 05:30
guruginni wrote:
Hi all!
Excellent post rid. I came across this post 3 days before my TOEFL exam( I had registerd just a week before test and went through sampler once...thought it would be a piece of cake.....I just needed a 90 to get into the university I applied to) This post actually made me want to prepare for the test..... I took 3 days off from work and literally made notes!!
Today I recived my score.....110....all thanks to you!!
:-D

GREAT CONGRATS
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: Mays '16
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [2] , given: 35

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 20:56
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks a lot....This post means a lot to me...
I studied for 2 days using the links provided and gave exam on 3rd Feb 2013.
Today I got my score...and 100 it is...m lovin' it...:):)

Don't give up on yourself ever. Period.
Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 01:45
wow! What have I found! thanks, guys!
Re: Everything You Need to Prepare for the TOEFL   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2013, 01:45