Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 276 [1] , given: 20

Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 00:23
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

80% (02:46) correct 20% (01:20) wrong based on 55 sessions
Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable thumb evolved in the human geology to help our
species grasp objects by using a pad-to-pad grip and improve throwing and clubbing prowess, and the fingers
and toes, also called as secondary appendages, shortening and straightening
in the evolutionary process to
strengthen the pad-to-pad grip of the land and to stabilize our upright posture.

A: improve throwing and clubbing prowess, and the fingers and toes, also called as secondary appendages, shortening
and straightening
B: improve throwing and clubbing prowess, and that the fingers and toes, also called as secondary appendages,
shortening and straightening
C: improving throwing and clubbing prowess and the fingers and toes, also called as secondary appendages, shortened
and straightened
D: improve throwing and clubbing prowess and that the fingers and toes, also called as secondary appendages,
shortened and straightened
E: to improve throwing and clubbing prowess, and to shorten and straighten the fingers and toes, also called as
secondary appendages

OA after some discussions

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 627 [4] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 02:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatbull wrote:
Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable thumb evolved in the human geology to help our
species grasp objects by using a pad-to-pad grip and improve throwing and clubbing prowess, and the fingers
strengthen the pad-to-pad grip of the land and to stabilize our upright posture.

A: improve throwing and clubbing prowess, and the fingers and toes, also called as secondary appendages, shortening
and straightening
B: improve throwing and clubbing prowess, and that the fingers and toes, also called as secondary appendages,
C: improving throwing and clubbing prowess and the fingers and toes, also called as secondary appendages, shortened
and straightened
D: improve throwing and clubbing prowess and that the fingers and toes, also called as secondary appendages,
E: to improve throwing and clubbing prowess, and to shorten and straighten the fingers and toes, also called as
secondary appendages

OA after some discussions

Wow!!! Took me 3 minutes and I just wish that God either shower me by the blessing of free e-gmat course or never let such question appear during the test.

Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable thumb evolved in the human geology to help our species { grasp objects by using a pad-to-pad grip and improve throwing and clubbing prowess } and that the fingers and toes, also called as secondary appendages, shortened and straightened in the evolutionary process to strengthen the pad-to-pad grip of the land and to stabilize our upright posture.

I just hope that by coloring the main part of the stimulus, you may feel this question to be easier.

Two discoveries:
i)The opposable thumb evolved in the human geology.
ii)The fingers and toes shortened and straightened in the evolutionary process.

This logic can be best expressed in the way D is written.

+1 D.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 22

Re: Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 02:46
gmatbull wrote:
and straightening
and straightened
secondary appendages

we need improve or to improve because of parallelism.
We need to pay attention that there are three AND's.
One connects 2 main clauses and others connect internal clauses.

species grasp objects by using a pad-to-pad grip andimprove throwing
and clubbing prowess and that the fingers and toes, also called as secondary appendages,
shortened and straightened in the evolutionary process
to strengthen the pad-to-pad grip of the land and to stabilize our upright posture.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 31

Re: Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 07:12
IMO D.

Great explanation by Marcab. kudos to you, my friend.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 10:50

and straightening requires parallelism - that the oppsaable thumb... that the fingers
shortening and straightening tense error - should be shortened and straightened
and straightened parallelism error - that the oppsaable thumb... that the fingers
shortened and straightened Correct
secondary appendages sentence meaning has changed

IMO, answer is D.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 20

Re: Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 15:30
Well explained by Marcab and correct too.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 62

Re: Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 02:22
Biologists have discovered two things
A) that thumb evolved to
i) help grasp objects
ii) improve throwing and clubbing prowess
B) and that fingers and toes shortened and straightened to
i) strengthen the pad-to-pad grip of the land
ii) and to stabilize our upright posture.

required that -that parallelism is followed only in choices B and D only. and only D conveys the intended meaning.

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Re: Evolutionary biologists have discovered that the opposable   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2012, 02:22