Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I EXPECTED- SHOULD I RETAKE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I EXPECTED- SHOULD I RETAKE [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2003, 07:03
in my prep for the GMAT, i was breezing through the quant section and having trouble with verbal. i took about 10 practice tests and this was the case every time. however, on the real GMAT, i got an incredibly difficult quant section and a easy verbal section. as a result, i did better on the verbal than i did on the quant. overall i got a 650. i'm thinking about retaking it because i had NEVER done that poorly on the quant.

what are some people's thoughts on this. there is one school of thought that would say go for it because i just got unlucky in getting a strange quant section, but there is another school of thought that says i probably wouldn't get as easy verbal section again. i know that the test is supposed to be uniform and standard, but from hearing what other people saw on the test, i am certain that my quant was harder than some others, and my verbal was definitely easier than some others. ANY THOUGHTS???
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

either way [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2003, 17:22
It might be worth retaking - how does your score compare to the average and upper/lower ranges for the schools you're applying to? If the score is competitive, then you probably shouldn't retake because verbal could go down. But it also depends on the % score you got for quant - was it below 65%? Top schools want 70-75%+.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2175

Kudos [?]: 7765 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I EXPECTED- SHOULD I RETAKE [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2003, 19:47
Expert's post
goldsjo wrote:
in my prep for the GMAT, i was breezing through the quant section and having trouble with verbal. i took about 10 practice tests and this was the case every time. however, on the real GMAT, i got an incredibly difficult quant section and a easy verbal section. as a result, i did better on the verbal than i did on the quant. overall i got a 650. i'm thinking about retaking it because i had NEVER done that poorly on the quant.

what are some people's thoughts on this. there is one school of thought that would say go for it because i just got unlucky in getting a strange quant section, but there is another school of thought that says i probably wouldn't get as easy verbal section again. i know that the test is supposed to be uniform and standard, but from hearing what other people saw on the test, i am certain that my quant was harder than some others, and my verbal was definitely easier than some others. ANY THOUGHTS???

yes, for some reason occasionally people jump into a Quant swamp - and even the most confident takers are shocked.

I scored on the Verbal section much better than I thought I would do, but my quant was not too hard either, at least it did not look so.

Even if you don't get an as easy Verbal section again, you can raise an argument to the Adcom that one time you were emphasizing quant and the other Verbal :wink: you will at least demonstrate that you can score well in both....

-=-
Re: EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I EXPECTED- SHOULD I RETAKE   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2003, 19:47