Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Exam in 8 days, not sure I'll reach my target score..!! :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Exam in 8 days, not sure I'll reach my target score..!! :( [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 06:17
Hi All,

My exam is exactly 8 days from now, I'm using the following materials:

All the 8 MGMAT guides
OG 12
and other online material from this forum (flashcards, tips on CR, idioms etc)

My scores in practice tests are as follows:
GMAT Prep 1 - 610 (47/27)
MGMAT 3 - 570 (38/30) **I couldn't complete the quant section on time, skipped 9 questions
GMAT prep 2 - 600 (44/28)
GMAT Prep 1 - 620 (48/27)
MGMAT 4 - 560 (35/32) **Again I couldn't complete the quant section on time, guessed 5 and skipped 5

I initially thought I'll continue studying and not lose hope (especially after my last MGMAT test's score) but looks like I'm not even near my target score range after preparing for almost 2 months :(, I need at least 680 on the GMAT as the schools I'm targeting have their mean GMAT score around this range.

I'm getting stressed out as this is my second attempt and I have only 8 days left, I can't seem to get this out of my head :(
I'm confused whether to postpone the test or carry on and give it my best shot...has anybody felt the same way as I am feeling right now :(?

Any suggestions/ advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Exam in 8 days, not sure I'll reach my target score..!! :( [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 06:33
Tough call..

If you feel you are not where you need to be -- then postponing can be a good idea.

If you feel like your prep scores are not a true reflection of your score -- then go ahead and take it. Several people have scored higher than their practice test scores.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Exam in 8 days, not sure I'll reach my target score..!! :( [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 06:35
Given your two GMAT Prep scores, I would consider rescheduling until you can improve your score in verbal. If you were in the 640-660 range I'd say give it a shot, and there are some who will disagree with me and say you should stick with your plan. MGMAT CATs, especially quant, are a little harder than the real thing. GMAT Prep and real GMAT questions are much more elegant, yet equally difficult, in comparison with the test-prep companies' material.

A 600 and 620 in GMAT Prep 1 and 2 are (if I'm not mistaken) over a standard deviation away from a 680 in terms of the bell curve. Given your weak verbal scores, you have a lot of room to improve and 680 is easily achievable, but not necessarily in 8 days.

EDIT:
I agree with DevilDog. People do score higher on the real thing than test prep, and I'm an example of this. I scored 710 and 720 on GMAT Prep 1 and 2, but ended up with 750 on the real GMAT. That being said, I was already performing well in Verbal (mid 40s consistently), and I just had a stellar day on the real thing. I'm not saying you won't have a similar experience, but you clearly have lots of room to boost your score by devoting study time to verbal, and with a month or so you can probably get yourself into the high 30s or low 40s, which would push you above 680 for sure.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: Exam in 8 days, not sure I'll reach my target score..!! :( [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 10:43
I will second ebonn101. You should postpone your appointment if your target is 680. GMAT prep scores are the closest indicators of your true GMAT score +- 20 marks. Also, some have cracked GMAT despite getting low scores in practice tests, but relying on luck alone is not advisable.

Your decision also depends on which round you want to apply this year. if you are applying next year for 2013 admissions, you may reschedule to a later date.

Further you may want to focus more on revising, building up on your errors and pacing yourself. Also if your target is around 680, practice more problems of average hardness and get confident in solving them.

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Exam in 8 days, not sure I'll reach my target score..!! :( [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 22:24
Thank you all for your prompt replies, i have decided to postpone the test...I will re-schedule later today.

Now I need to build an intensive study plan for Verbal, I've already gone through the MGMAT SC guide twice, for CR & RC - I've glanced through the MGMAT guides and I'm currently practising from the OG.. At this point my accuracy in verbal is as follows:

SC - 60 to 70 %
RC - approx 60 %
CR - 50 - 60 %

I'm planning to grab a copy of the Power score CR as I've heard that's the best for CR concepts, any suggestions on how to improve RC and SC...I'm making a lot of mistakes as the difficulty level goes up, say 600 - 700 and 700 - 800, any tips on how to imrpove my accuracy and stay consistent?

For quants, I'm planning to go through the strategy guides this week (once again) and work out a lot of problems, OG + extra problems, from the practice tests I've taken so far (I'll try to solve all of them again).

Next week I'll dedicate time for CR, source - Power CR and practice quants, SC and RC every day.

Once I've covered the OG completely, where can I get practice problems for each section? I already remember most of the answers in SC as I've done the questions from OG almost twice and I feel this doesn't help me truly gauge my performace in this section...thanks for your help, appreciate it!

I'll keep you posted with my study plan and date, I'm not going to give up!! at least not yet :-P
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: Exam in 8 days, not sure I'll reach my target score..!! :( [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 07:46
TargetGmatt wrote:
I'll keep you posted with my study plan and date, I'm not going to give up!! at least not yet :-P

that's the spirit, and so says your name "TargetGmat".

Powerscore CR is a very good book. It is like a bible, and you will require time to go through it completely so plan accordingly.

For improving accuracy in verbal, I would suggest do untimed practice, engage with each problem till you reach an answer. Then analyze your reasoning/approach and the reasoning/approach of the OE. Soon enough you will see patterns emerging, patterns of how tough and easy questions are framed, how an answer is twisted just enough to be wrong etc.

For further GMAT type question practice, you can buy GMAT verbal handbook/Quant handbook. If you need more you can go for GMAT paper tests but I do not know their relevance with the present GMAT.

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Re: Exam in 8 days, not sure I'll reach my target score..!! :(   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2011, 07:46