Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Posts: 41
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 21:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
I took the verbal section alone of mgmat tests. Got a 28 and 29. :( I have been getting 45 to 48 in the Quant section. With less than a week for the exam, I am not sure, what else I can do. I have revised at least 3 times, the concepts for CR from power bible, SC from Mgmat. In the latest Test, I found 2 main areas I consisteently make mistakes in CR - Assumption & Evaluate /conclusion questions.

In SC - I have revised all chapters including the advanced topics. and when I see the mistake pattern, I get one out of one type wrong, and one out of same type correct. So there is no consistency in my mistake. This worries more. The main topics are modifiers, pronouns, verb mood(Subjunctive), parallellism with nouns. :(

I am also running out of time for last 4 to 5 questions in verbal. Some questions, I bring it down to 2 asnwers, and pick the wrong one. I have noticed, atleast 5 or 6 of them in the incorrect answers. Not sure why I get confused. May be sometimes I over think and also this is where I loose time also.

RC - its almost 70% hit rate. Depnds ont he passage. Some passages are so dry or abstract, :( I loose concentration. Any tips?

Now for the score I want, I am looking to do part time MBA. I would be the happiest person if I got 650 or more. Would be happy with 630-640 also. I cannot postponse the exam now. I already did once.

Please advice!!!!!!! thanks.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Edge of Extinction
Joined: 09 Sep 2012
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 29

Re: Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 22:00
I'm not quite sure what to say about SC and CR, since you mentioned that you've gone through Powerscore CR and MGMAT SC thrice each.

For RC I'm following Rhyme's strategy and it is working extremely well for me. Look here if you haven't already: Link

All the best! :)
_________________

The only ability the GMAT is an indicator of...is the ability to do well on the GMAT.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 22:24
I too sail in the same waters may be on a leaking boat. Hovering around q44,v33.
Regarding your SC questions, i think you have to revisit the consepts and understand them better. But, you do not have lot of time left. Hence try to make your strength areas even more stronger. That will boost your confidnce levels.
How about trying some timing strategy? I too have problem with timing in verbal section. But in the last mock i fared better by strightly following the timing as below.
Time. Q.no
60. 9-10
45. 17-18
30. 25-26
15. 33-34

If i slip beyond 2 mins in every step, i guessed 1 or 2 every other question to gain some time.
Hope this helps you.
_________________

Give me a Kudo if you find my post useful

Awesome AWA tip - how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Amazing CR questions - 100-amazing-cr-questions-explanations-cr-700-to-800-level-137885.html

Overlapping set problems - advanced-overlapping-sets-problems-144260.html

My GMAT Story - from-530-q43-v20-to-630-q47-v30-my-gmat-story-144980.html

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1092
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 09:33
scoremore wrote:
I took the verbal section alone of mgmat tests. Got a 28 and 29. :( I have been getting 45 to 48 in the Quant section. With less than a week for the exam, I am not sure, what else I can do. I have revised at least 3 times, the concepts for CR from power bible, SC from Mgmat. In the latest Test, I found 2 main areas I consisteently make mistakes in CR - Assumption & Evaluate /conclusion questions.

In SC - I have revised all chapters including the advanced topics. and when I see the mistake pattern, I get one out of one type wrong, and one out of same type correct. So there is no consistency in my mistake. This worries more. The main topics are modifiers, pronouns, verb mood(Subjunctive), parallellism with nouns. :(

I am also running out of time for last 4 to 5 questions in verbal. Some questions, I bring it down to 2 asnwers, and pick the wrong one. I have noticed, atleast 5 or 6 of them in the incorrect answers. Not sure why I get confused. May be sometimes I over think and also this is where I loose time also.

RC - its almost 70% hit rate. Depnds ont he passage. Some passages are so dry or abstract, :( I loose concentration. Any tips?

Now for the score I want, I am looking to do part time MBA. I would be the happiest person if I got 650 or more. Would be happy with 630-640 also. I cannot postponse the exam now. I already did once.

Please advice!!!!!!! thanks.



with your range of scores, you may score anywhere between 600-650. But sometimes MGMAT verbal scores are difficult to replicate on the real thing. (if you are getting q45-48 on MGMAT tests, you can definitely end up getting a q49/50 on the real thing. That can bump your score )

Anyways, I'll go ahead and give you a couple of pointers on verbal (in this order):
1.) Study the official collection of questions- (especially SC and CR)
1.) Do take at least a couple of tests. try to improve on your timing (and take them with AWA and IR). Use checkpoints and pace yourself accordingly. Even if you do a LOT of questions wrong you can get a 700. You are aiming for a 650 - Realize that you will need to leave a few questions. Don't make 'best' the enemy of 'good' .
3.) Do revise and review your mistakes. If you don't measure, you can't improve. Spend adequate amount of time to go through the official explanations from the OG and official supplements. Will help tremendously. Subsequently, improve on areas you are weak in.
4.) concentrate on parallelism and modifiers.

good luck on your exam
_________________

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Posts: 41
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 10:38
Zenverse wrote:
I'm not quite sure what to say about SC and CR, since you mentioned that you've gone through Powerscore CR and MGMAT SC thrice each.

For RC I'm following Rhyme's strategy and it is working extremely well for me. Look here if you haven't already: Link

All the best! :)



Hi thanks for the link. I have not seen it, I will review it though.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Posts: 41
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 10:40
ashomech wrote:
I too sail in the same waters may be on a leaking boat. Hovering around q44,v33.
Regarding your SC questions, i think you have to revisit the consepts and understand them better. But, you do not have lot of time left. Hence try to make your strength areas even more stronger. That will boost your confidnce levels.
How about trying some timing strategy? I too have problem with timing in verbal section. But in the last mock i fared better by strightly following the timing as below.
Time. Q.no
60. 9-10
45. 17-18
30. 25-26
15. 33-34

If i slip beyond 2 mins in every step, i guessed 1 or 2 every other question to gain some time.
Hope this helps you.



I keep that timing track on a paper hanging in front of me when I am taking the test. But some questions just suck the time. I think I am afraid to knowingly pick a wrong answer. Not sure how to do that still. :( But unfortunately in the last 3 mins that is exactly what I do. So may be I should force myself to do it in the middle questions also.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Posts: 41
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 10:44
jumsumtak wrote:
scoremore wrote:
I took the verbal section alone of mgmat tests. Got a 28 and 29. :( I have been getting 45 to 48 in the Quant section. With less than a week for the exam, I am not sure, what else I can do. I have revised at least 3 times, the concepts for CR from power bible, SC from Mgmat. In the latest Test, I found 2 main areas I consisteently make mistakes in CR - Assumption & Evaluate /conclusion questions.

In SC - I have revised all chapters including the advanced topics. and when I see the mistake pattern, I get one out of one type wrong, and one out of same type correct. So there is no consistency in my mistake. This worries more. The main topics are modifiers, pronouns, verb mood(Subjunctive), parallellism with nouns. :(

I am also running out of time for last 4 to 5 questions in verbal. Some questions, I bring it down to 2 asnwers, and pick the wrong one. I have noticed, atleast 5 or 6 of them in the incorrect answers. Not sure why I get confused. May be sometimes I over think and also this is where I loose time also.

RC - its almost 70% hit rate. Depnds ont he passage. Some passages are so dry or abstract, :( I loose concentration. Any tips?

Now for the score I want, I am looking to do part time MBA. I would be the happiest person if I got 650 or more. Would be happy with 630-640 also. I cannot postponse the exam now. I already did once.

Please advice!!!!!!! thanks.



with your range of scores, you may score anywhere between 600-650. But sometimes MGMAT verbal scores are difficult to replicate on the real thing. (if you are getting q45-48 on MGMAT tests, you can definitely end up getting a q49/50 on the real thing. That can bump your score )

Anyways, I'll go ahead and give you a couple of pointers on verbal (in this order):
1.) Study the official collection of questions- (especially SC and CR)
1.) Do take at least a couple of tests. try to improve on your timing (and take them with AWA and IR). Use checkpoints and pace yourself accordingly. Even if you do a LOT of questions wrong you can get a 700. You are aiming for a 650 - Realize that you will need to leave a few questions. Don't make 'best' the enemy of 'good' .
3.) Do revise and review your mistakes. If you don't measure, you can't improve. Spend adequate amount of time to go through the official explanations from the OG and official supplements. Will help tremendously. Subsequently, improve on areas you are weak in.
4.) concentrate on parallelism and modifiers.

good luck on your exam



Hi... thanks for those great pointers.. I am literally living breathing gmat now,.... :( I think I am already burnt up!!! I have a baby at home and I dont even spend a minute with him... well all that aside.. its only one more week. Hope it goes well!!

Can you explain what you mean by "official collection of questions". If you mean the OG, I have done 90% of it. 10% left. Doing that also side by side. But if you meant something else, please let me know.

Will do more on verbal in next 5 days. Please see my last post also and advice me.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Posts: 41
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 10:53
Thank you all for your replies.. and the great tips.. Now, I have another BIG problem thought wise... I am really really really scared to take a FULL length exam, like I am freaking out what if I see a score below 600? :( I would be devastated. My confidence level might even go low after preparing for 6 months. I will be practicing couple of essays during this holidays.I practiced some IR in the past. Planning to do so in next 2 days. But otherwise, its Q & V.I did take 3 or even 4 full lenght tests in september, I got 570 to 590. I postponed my test from october to December 28th for that reason. Now I am scared to do the same. I know how much effort it is to sit for 4 hours straight mentally.I just believe I should be able to pull it off on exam day witht he adrenaline. NOT even sure if it is a bad idea.

Has some one ever faced or thought like this? not taken a full lenght test before exam but practiced in sections immensely. Can you please advice.

I have read about some "chinese burned" for AWA? Can some one please point me there?

Appreciate this forum and every single post and person here. I wouldn't have gotten this far with you guys.knowing there is always someone out there just like me or in my shoes made me confortable, and gave me confidence to face my fears. Thanks all. Hope I come back to give my debrief with a good score, one that I really want.:)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 03:32
scoremore wrote:
Thank you all for your replies.. and the great tips.. Now, I have another BIG problem thought wise... I am really really really scared to take a FULL length exam, like I am freaking out what if I see a score below 600? :( I would be devastated. My confidence level might even go low after preparing for 6 months. I will be practicing couple of essays during this holidays.I practiced some IR in the past. Planning to do so in next 2 days. But otherwise, its Q & V.I did take 3 or even 4 full lenght tests in september, I got 570 to 590. I postponed my test from october to December 28th for that reason. Now I am scared to do the same. I know how much effort it is to sit for 4 hours straight mentally.I just believe I should be able to pull it off on exam day witht he adrenaline. NOT even sure if it is a bad idea.

Has some one ever faced or thought like this? not taken a full lenght test before exam but practiced in sections immensely. Can you please advice.

I have read about some "chinese burned" for AWA? Can some one please point me there?

Appreciate this forum and every single post and person here. I wouldn't have gotten this far with you guys.knowing there is always someone out there just like me or in my shoes made me confortable, and gave me confidence to face my fears. Thanks all. Hope I come back to give my debrief with a good score, one that I really want.:)


Hi,
I can verywell understand your feeling about the low score in full length mock. But just think, what if the score is more than what you expect? Wont it boost your confidence? If i were you i will definitely take a full length mock so that i can improve my timing in verbal section. Then again, i will not let the low score get into my head and hit the confidence.
Another point about your gussing in last 3 minutes. Its better to spread your 'guessings' all over the test than doing so only in the last 3 minutes. What if you have like 3~5 questions and need to guess all of them in a row?


Here is the link to chineeseburned guide on AWA - topic64327.html
All the best.
_________________

Give me a Kudo if you find my post useful

Awesome AWA tip - how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Amazing CR questions - 100-amazing-cr-questions-explanations-cr-700-to-800-level-137885.html

Overlapping set problems - advanced-overlapping-sets-problems-144260.html

My GMAT Story - from-530-q43-v20-to-630-q47-v30-my-gmat-story-144980.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Posts: 41
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 07:49
ashomech wrote:
scoremore wrote:
Thank you all for your replies.. and the great tips.. Now, I have another BIG problem thought wise... I am really really really scared to take a FULL length exam, like I am freaking out what if I see a score below 600? :( I would be devastated. My confidence level might even go low after preparing for 6 months. I will be practicing couple of essays during this holidays.I practiced some IR in the past. Planning to do so in next 2 days. But otherwise, its Q & V.I did take 3 or even 4 full lenght tests in september, I got 570 to 590. I postponed my test from october to December 28th for that reason. Now I am scared to do the same. I know how much effort it is to sit for 4 hours straight mentally.I just believe I should be able to pull it off on exam day witht he adrenaline. NOT even sure if it is a bad idea.

Has some one ever faced or thought like this? not taken a full lenght test before exam but practiced in sections immensely. Can you please advice.

I have read about some "chinese burned" for AWA? Can some one please point me there?

Appreciate this forum and every single post and person here. I wouldn't have gotten this far with you guys.knowing there is always someone out there just like me or in my shoes made me confortable, and gave me confidence to face my fears. Thanks all. Hope I come back to give my debrief with a good score, one that I really want.:)


Hi,
I can verywell understand your feeling about the low score in full length mock. But just think, what if the score is more than what you expect? Wont it boost your confidence? If i were you i will definitely take a full length mock so that i can improve my timing in verbal section. Then again, i will not let the low score get into my head and hit the confidence.
Another point about your gussing in last 3 minutes. Its better to spread your 'guessings' all over the test than doing so only in the last 3 minutes. What if you have like 3~5 questions and need to guess all of them in a row?


Here is the link to chineeseburned guide on AWA - topic64327.html
All the best.




Thanks for the link and your input ashomech... I will be doing my best this holidays... I probably will take 1 may be.
Re: Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2012, 07:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Last Minute GMAT Study Tips KevinRocci 0 10 Feb 2014, 10:35
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Verbal CHAT this Friday - Dec 28th! souvik101990 9 25 Dec 2012, 20:17
gmat friday--last minute tips dunleavy89 2 14 May 2012, 09:22
Test on Dec. 3rd... Last Minute Strategy MFINDreamer 1 24 Nov 2009, 08:36
Last minute preparation tips vazhkudai 1 25 Sep 2007, 10:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Exam on 28th Dec - Need last minute tips please

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.