Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Exam on tuesday but not too sure...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q V
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 117

GMAT Tests User
Exam on tuesday but not too sure... [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 14:31
SO I have my exam on Tuesday... but I would like someones advice if possible on what to do or maybe I am just too worried for some reason.

Basically I already sat the GMAT about 1 year ago and I got 44V and 39Q.

Since then I have put in about 3-5 months of real effort and I am generally getting a Quant of 46 on the GMATprerp. THat being said I feel that I have covered a lot of ground and can generally solve most questions. However on the Manhattan GMAT tests I always get a quant score of around 43-44. What is worrying me is that I was getting around 43 on MGMAT CATs before doing the exam one year ago.

Aside from that I can generally do ok with Bunuel Devil's dozens etc but when I sort all the club questions by level of difficulty I still get around 40-50% of the 700+ questions wrong. I can d0 95% of the OG13, review questions and GMATprerp questions without an issue and under 2 min.

Should I proceed and do the exam on Tuesday or do you believe I should reschedule. Is the MGMAT score of 43 more conservative than what I should be expecting? If I reschedule any advice on what to do to push my quant score higher or at least feel more confident? My target is for a 710-720 score overall (have scored on the GMATprep 730, Kaplan 700 and 750 but MGMAT have always stayed at around 680!)

Thanks a lot for the help and apologies for the long thread!

Alex
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 435 [2] , given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Exam on tuesday but not too sure... [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 04:52
This post received
KUDOS
Well, it is going to be your decision at the end of the day.

The CATs are a good resource to 'improve' your weaknesses. Don't pre-empt what is going to happen to you on the D-day based on your MGMAT/Kaplan etc CAT scores. Everyone reacts to a non-official source differently. Obviously, that is not the objective answer you were looking for. But, as with many other things the answer is in fact 'it depends'.

I may help you with the general trends though:
1.) It is not very difficult to have a 30-40 point jump from MGMAT CAT on the D-day. I've seen many people do it (including myself). Especially if the 680 were from the first few MGMAT CATs. (1-3 out of 6)
2.) GMAT prep is the best indicator of how you are doing. I took 2 GMAT preps going into my exam. I got 760 on both and 770 on the real thing.
3.) MGMAT quant is definitely harder than the real thing. Also, the MGMAT CATs have been re-calibrated. So comparing your performance to your performance from last year doesn't make a lot of sense.

If I were you, I will take a call on whether I can improve substantially in the next few weeks (judging by performance/comfort/exhaustion/topics covered/weaknesses etc.). If not, I will proceed to take the test. I think it is pretty doable.

Lastly, if you do decide to take the test, ask your brain to shut out on these scores and the difficulty levels. All that matters is those 37 questions and 75 minutes; And belief goes a long way.

good luck!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Re: Exam on tuesday but not too sure...   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2013, 04:52