Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GRE 1: Q740 V640
GPA: 3.7
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GRE 1: Q740 V640
GPA: 3.7
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Examine my Situation, would you get an MBA or keep working? [#permalink]
Mairsile wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Those are things I haven't considered. Would you maintain that advice given the $210,000 debt load I may face?

Posted from my mobile device

That is a daunting figure. I would suggest looking at the two career paths you describe and see where you'll be financially right out of business school and where you'll be five years out et cetera. Compare that with your career path without B school (and your debt load without B school). If you expect to make a huge sum as the VP of Marketing at some tech firm then $200k won't seem so bad.

What is the primary driver for you to earn an MBA? Do you want to broaden your skill set? Add a prestigious school to your resume? Change careers?

Depending on your answers to those questions there are a few alternatives to consider.

1. Enroll at a less prestigious program where you might be able to get a large scholarship I assume you are planning to attend school in the Great Lakes Region (I'm from Ann Arbor so that's my assumption when you mentioned UMich and Chicago!) so you may want to consider Indiana, Purdue, Mich State et al. They are a notch below Chicago and Michigan and I'm sure they would roll out the red carpet to attract an applicant like you.

2.) Consider a weekend/evening or executive MBA a few years down the road. You may be able to convince your current employer to sponsor you. Unfortunately, this is poor way to change careers and so you probably wouldn't be able to jump into a tech marketing job afterwards.

WRT the hours required for people in marketing. I work in technology in the San Francisco Bay Area and I don't often see MBA level people (product managers, marketing managers, director of marketing, VPM et cetera) in marketing work more than 40-50 hours per week. Once a month they will have to go to a trade show or meet with a major customer, but the work load is very reasonable.

I hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
My hobby is playing different video games. I like to play action games but mission impossible is my favorite one till to my childhood. I never feel boring by this one game also the racing games are interesting in playing.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts