Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 477 [76]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [27]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: No matter how patiently they explain their reasons for confiscating [#permalink]
D.

reason i could think:

the clause No matter ---- items, modifies custom inspectors rather than travellers in the context of the sentence. So the comma should be followed immediately by custom inspectors.

answer ??
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31880 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: No matter how patiently they explain their reasons for confiscating [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
D
modifier should be customs inspectors and not travelers...so only D,E remain..
D is better written than E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Choices A,B,C, can be eliminated immediately because of the use of the antecedent "they," which appears before the comma. In this sentence, "they" is modifying "customs inspectors" not travelers.

Reread it like this: "No matter how patiently [TRAVELERS] explain their reasons for confiscating certain items, TRAVELERS often treat customs inspectors like wanton poachers rather than government employees." Does that make sense? NO. Travelers aren’t confiscating items from themselves.

Does this make sense: "No matter how patiently [CUSTOMS INSPECTORS] explain their reasons for confiscating certain items, [THEY] are often treated… wanton poachers rather than government employees."

This makes sense also, and ultimately this construction is correct: "No matter how patiently [THEY] explain their reasons for confiscating certain items, [CUSTOMS INSPECTORS] are often treated… wanton poachers rather than government employees."

There really isn’t a way for either of choices A, B, or C to be correct. (Antecedents can be deadly.)

Choices D and E are the only viable options. Honestly, both D and E are wrong to me. But D has the least sever problem, thus it is ultimately the answer. The biggest problem with D is the use of the word “were.” Doesn’t the use of this word here break the tense rule? “… Inspectors ARE often treated by travelers as if they WERE...” This construction is problematic! “Were” seems to change the tense of the sentence here, doesn’t it?

The glaring problem with E, though, makes it incorrect. Choice E leaves out the final “like” which is necessary to completely relate the idiom – not like X…. but [like] Y. That really is the only thing wrong with choice E.

I don’t agree with the argument that treated like is idiomatically incorrect. I’d like to add some complex deep reason for why I disagree with this argument, but I don’t have one. My reasoning is really quite simple. The phrase “treated like” is used regularly by writers for New York Times, as well the Associated Press. I know we don’t all always agree with the political ideals the Times seems to represent, but I think it goes without saying that the best writers in the world write for that paper; they don’t make mistakes. Ever. Hence, my rule of thumb regarding grammar: If it’s in the Times it’s right… that’s it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Isn't "They" in D ambiguous? It can refer to both travelers and custom officers.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31880 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ankit73 wrote:
Isn't "They" in D ambiguous? It can refer to both travelers and custom officers.

Hi,

No matter how patiently they explain their reasons for confiscating certain items, customs inspectors are often treated by travelers as if they were wanton poachers rather than government employees...

If you look at the onon-underlined portion, 'they' has been used and it also refers to custom officers....
Custom officers is the SUBJECT and all subject pronoun will refer to the SUBJECT noun..
they is also used as subject pronoun here in underlined portion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 597
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
modifier is modifying customer officer rather than travelers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
Hmm...Really you must know the meaning of confiscating Or you must know the work of customs inspectors. otherwise modifying is difficult.

As i read with an absent mind, i was down to 2 (c and d) and eliminated d just because it was passive!!.

SAD LIFE
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
No matter how patiently they explain their reasons for confiscating certain items, travelers often treat customs inspectors like wanton poachers rather than government employees.

(A) travelers often treat customs inspectors like wanton poachers rather than government employees

(B) travelers often treat customs inspectors as wanton poachers instead of government employees

(C) travelers often treat customs inspectors as if they were not government employees but wanton poachers

(D) customs inspectors are often treated by travelers as if they were wanton poachers rather than government employees

(E) customs inspectors are often treated not like government employees but wanton poachers by travelers

Who confiscates the items ? Is it the travelers or the customs inspectors ? Quite clearly customs inspectors confiscate items. Hence A, B and C are OUT.
E is not parallel as it says: treated not like 'X' buy 'Y' whereas it should say: treated not like 'X' but like[u][/u] 'Y'
Hence 'D' is the correct answer.
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
D is the correct answer here; however, I still think that it is a bit ambiguous. The word 'they' could refer back to customs inspectors as well as travelers.

Could someone clarify how can we definitely say that the word 'they' is not referring back to travelers?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos