Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 04:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of Cyprus revealed a pattern of debris and collapsed buildings typical of towns devastated by earthquakes. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction
was due to a major earthquake known to have occurred near the island in A.D.365.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the archaeologists’ hypothesis?

(A) Bronze ceremonial drinking vessels that are often found in graves dating from years preceding and following A.D.365 were also found in several graves near Kourion.

(B) No coins minted after A.D.365 were found in Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance.

(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occurred near the island in A.D.365.

(D) Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between A.D.300 and 400 were found in Kourion.

(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyprus after A.D.365 were found in Kourion.

Excuse me, could anybody tell me why not C?
I still cannot get it very well from ETS. thanks
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 06:00
The hypothesis here is that the ancient city of Kourion was destroyed by an earthquake in AD 365.

C does NOT offer the MOST support to this hypothesis because it just states there was an earthquake in the region in AD 365. What if the city had been destroyed by an earlier earthquake? Or what if the city had survived the earthquake in AD 365 but was destroyed by another earthquake that occured after AD 365?

But on the other hand if you look at B, B provides a stronger support to the hypothesis. It states that coins minted before AD 365 were in abundance while there no coin minted after AD 365 was found so something must have happened in AD 365. The destruction shows that it is typical of an earthquake impact so there must have been an earthquake in AD 365 that destroyed the city.
B I think is a BETTER choice.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 06:36
nothing other than B provides the support to the hypothesis.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 07:49
Is it okay to dismiss (C) because it only re-states the hypothesis? I undersstand that (B) supports the hypothesis, but (C) only restates it. Pleaes explain. Thanks
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 08:09
Folaa3 wrote:
Is it okay to dismiss (C) because it only re-states the hypothesis? I undersstand that (B) supports the hypothesis, but (C) only restates it. Pleaes explain. Thanks

Folaa3, the question asks for a statement that provides a strong support for the hypothesis, so by just restating the hypothesis you are not adding any support...
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 08:14
gayathri wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:

Folaa3, the question asks for a statement that provides a strong support for the hypothesis, so by just restating the hypothesis you are not adding any support...

Hello, gayathri, I think Folaa3 would like to know support what in this question.

support an earthquake? or support somthing happened in A.D. 365.

How do we know to support what?

thanks
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 08:19
gayathri wrote:
The hypothesis here is that the ancient city of Kourion was destroyed by an earthquake in AD 365.

C does NOT offer the MOST support to this hypothesis because it just states there was an earthquake in the region in AD 365. What if the city had been destroyed by an earlier earthquake? Or what if the city had survived the earthquake in AD 365 but was destroyed by another earthquake that occured after AD 365?

But on the other hand if you look at B, B provides a stronger support to the hypothesis. It states that coins minted before AD 365 were in abundance while there no coin minted after AD 365 was found so something must have happened in AD 365. The destruction shows that it is typical of an earthquake impact so there must have been an earthquake in AD 365 that destroyed the city.
B I think is a BETTER choice.

Great explanation gayathri. On the first look I almost picked C too, but on closer examination I can see your point.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 14:17
chunjuwu wrote:
Hello, gayathri, I think Folaa3 would like to know support what in this question.

support an earthquake? or support somthing happened in A.D. 365.

How do we know to support what?

thanks

Chunjuwu, I felt it was AD 365 because all the answers choices also reference the year and not the earthquake. But when you are doubtful I guess you can try POE.

A: Out of scope as we are concerned about Kourion not places surrounding Kourion
C: Just restating the hypothesis so it is not adding any support.
D: Does not really add any value to the hypothesis. Middle of AD 300 and AD 400 could be before AD 365 or after. If it was after 365 then it goes against the hypothesis that the city was destroyed in AD 365
E: Goes against the hypothesis, if the city was destroyed by AD 365 then how could there be stone inscriptions that was used after AD 365 be found.

So only choice left is B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2005, 15:48
gayathri wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:

Now i get it. Thanks Gayathri. This re-affirms the principle of answering exactly what you are asked no matter how distracting the answer choices might be.
  [#permalink] 27 Jan 2005, 15:48