Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 04:48
B is a pretty good answer because it shows that something was happening consistently and then stopped abruptly--coins were being cranked out at a steady clip, then in 365 A.D., STOPPED!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 05:17
B says that there is a discontinuation of the history....so something must have happened in year 365 AD. So, B is the answer.

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 27

Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 04:14
Why should we not assume that inspite of coins , barter system was started due to which no coins were minted after AD365.

First i choose B but then went for C considering the possibility mentioned above.

Please clarify if my assumption is not correct.

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 05:09
Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of Cyprus revealed a pattern of debris and collapsed buildings typical of towns devestated by earthquakes. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction was due to a major earthquake known to have occured near the island in A.D. 365.

I will go with C ..

archaelogists have hypothesized that [highlight]DESTRUCTION WAS DUE TO MAJOR EARTHQUAKE...[/highlight]

the crux here is DESTRUCTION WAS DUE TO MAJOR EARTHQUAKE...
and they were not sure abt whether EARTHQUAKE really happened..
we can strengthen it by proving that earthyqake occurred in that year.

choice C shows that.
but the only problem is that " earthquake occurred [highlight]NEAR[/highlight]the island " not " [highlight]IN[/highlight]the island"

B is close but
"coins were available before that year but not after that year"
but this could be due to [highlight]TSUNAMI[/highlight]... who knows?
this doesnt answer the crux "DESTRUCTION WAS DUE TO MAJOR EARTHQUAKE..."
but the debris was typical of EARTHQUAKES.. So we cant say that coin unavailability is because of Tsunami or so ... :(

unfortunately among the worst B looks the best :( i went with C ofcourse

Winners never quit .Never give up verbal section.
---------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to give me a KUDOS if my post is helpful.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 03:12
mailnavin1 wrote:
scorpio7 wrote:
Excavation of the ancient city of Kourion on the island of Cyprus revealed a pattern of debris and collapsed buildings typical of towns devestated by earthquakes. Archaeologists have hypothesized that the destruction was due to a major earthquake known to have occured near the island in A.D. 365.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the archaeologists' hypothesis?

(A) Bronze ceremonial drinking vessals that are often found in graves dating from years preceding and following A.D. 365 were also found in several graves near Kourion. - The word following implies quake can also have happened in 366 or 367
(B) No coins minted after A.D. 365 were foundin Kourion, but coins minted before that year were found in abundance EQUALLY YOU MIGHT SAY THAT UNTIL 365 THEY USED COINS AND AFTER 365 DECIDED TO USE ANOTHER FORM OF MONEY (EG TOMATOES) THUS PROVING THAT "B" IS IRRELEVANT. EVEN THOUGH I UNDERSTAND THE LOGIC FOR DISCARDING C, IT STILL IS THE STRONGEST EVIDENCE OF A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN COLLAPSED BUILDINGS AND HYPOTHESIS OF AN EARTHQUAKE
(C) Most modern histories of Cyprus mention that an earthquake occured near the island in A.D. 365. - Nearby earthquake has no significance - Earthquake in India did not cause one in pakistan :lol:
(D) Several small statues carved in styles current in Cyprus in the century between A.D. 300 and 400 were found in Kourion. - same as A
(E) Stone inscriptions in a form of the Greek alphabet that was definitely used in Cyrpus after A.D. 365 were found in Kourion.- weakens the argument
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 03:39
easy B

consider cudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 12:47
Between B and C .for me ......C is good but felt it cannot be used as an evidence ....rather as another assumption ....B ..proves that coins before 365 BC were found but not later...so the only one most suitable
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 05:54
B for me as it shows that nothing happened after AD 365 thereby strengthening the argument.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 02:44
B

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 05:57
B for me too :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 01:10
This post received
KUDOS
the matter here is why C is wrong

I think C is wrong because C RESTATES EVIDENCE. Restate or contradict evidence is alway wrong in A, W, S questions. Restate evidence can be correct in Inference questions.

this is trick many Gmapprep questions contain. Please, download CR gmatprep question collection to practice.

In OG book, I do not see this kind of trick-restate or contradict evidence.

the answer choice which RESTATE EVIDENCE is very attractive in Assumption and Strenthen questions. The answer choice which CONTRADICT EVIDENCE is very attractive in Weaken questions. We only realize this trick wrong answer choice when we see the correct choice beside. When we see 2 answer choice are attractive, think about this trick to be the winner

there are 2 tricks I see on gmatprep questions, 1- affecting conclusion outside context of evidence, 2- offer scenario which strenthen or weaken but do not offer action which strenthen, weaken. though it is easy for us to understand the explanation, we get the question right hard.

we have to master this trick by creating an arguement, creating the answer choices.

hi, friends, please, give your idea on this. and remember, pracite on formal questions like this.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 19:42
The answer is B.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 05:40
B it is
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 10:24
B makes sense , A and E try to confuse but are not good enough

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 07:10
Answer B is the only answer that really supports the hyp.

Answer C says an earthquake hit near the island but doesn't say it actually struck the island.
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 02:17
something earthy or made of mettle should be found out from the excavations.

B fits in.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 04:31
gaurav2k101 wrote:
Why should we not assume that inspite of coins , barter system was started due to which no coins were minted after AD365.

First i choose B but then went for C considering the possibility mentioned above.

Please clarify if my assumption is not correct.

agree with you:)

I do think coin issue cannot be related directly to earthquakes. People nowadays bring credit cards with them, right?
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 01:11
IMO B

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 32

Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 01:45
I went with C which obviously looks to be wrong.

I always mess up with this type of historical questions using nonsense name of places & crazy events. God save me from these on real GMAT. :shock:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 06:10
B strenghtens the argument that the argument was destroyed in 365AD but says nothing about an earthquake.There might be other reason for its getting destroyed.

C on the other hand, strengthens the argument that an earthquake occured near the island but says nothing about the city getting destroyed by it.

Both B and C are right as well as wrong.

I am not able to make a clear choice between the two of them.

Can someone please explain to me the right logic to distinguish between the two of them.

Thnks.
Re: critical reasoning problem: earthquakes   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2011, 06:10