Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 00:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:54) correct 40% (01:15) wrong based on 315 sessions
Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous detailed mosaics depicting several readily identifiable animal species : a hare, a partridge, and various Mediterranean fish. Oddly, most of the species represented did not live in the Sepphoris region when these mosaics were created. Since identical motifs appear in mosaics found in other Roman cities, however, the mosaics of Sepphoris were very likely created by traveling artisans from some other part of the Roman Empire.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

a. The Sepphoris mosaics are not composed exclusively of types of stones found naturaly in the Sepphoris area.
b. There is no single region to which all the species depicted in the Sepphoris mosaics are native.
c. No motifs appear in the Sepphoris mosaics that do not also appear in the mosaics of some other Roman city.
d. All of the animal figures in the Sepphoris mosaics are readily identifiable as representations of known species.
e. There was not a common repertory of mosaic designs with which artisans who lived in various parts of the Roman Empire were familiar.

Hey guys, what do you think the answer would be?
anyone who has an idea please share thoughts with full explanation.

Thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 13 Jul 2013, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 04:02
I think D is the answer. If it is correct I can explain it.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 196 [1] , given: 6

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
IMO E.

conclusion: mosaics are created by travelling artisans

D says that all figures are identifiable. This is stated not assumed because stem says "depicting several readily identifiable animal species".
E says "no repertory": means that no scope for local artist to imitate those animals.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 07:33
I guess, you are correct.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 07:50
What do you think of B? I would say it is rather B then E.
The argument states : Oddly, most of the species represented did not live in the Sepphoris region when these mosaics were created. B here is perfect I think.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 225 [2] , given: 1

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
hoogie wrote:
Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous detailed mosaics depicting several readily identifiable animal species : a hare, a partridge, and various Mediterranean fish. Oddly, most of the species represented did not live in the Sepphoris region when these mosaics were created. Since identical motifs appear in mosaics found in other Roman cities, however, the mosaics of Sepphoris were very likely created by traveling artisans from some other part of the Roman Empire.

a. The Sepphoris mosaics are not composed exclusively of types of stones found naturaly in the Sepphoris area.
b. There is no single region to which all the species depicted in the Sepphoris mosaics are native.
c. No motifs appear in the Sepphoris mosaics that do not also appear in the mosaics of some other Roman city.
d. All of the animal figures in the Sepphoris mosaics are readily identifiable as representations of known species.
e. There was not a common repertory of mosaic designs with which artisans who lived in various parts of the Roman Empire were familiar.

Thanks.

Is this a MGMAT Q? Typically MGMAT uses such difficult words and makes it more complex. Jeez! Roman empire. Sepphoris, mosiac, motifs.. What the hell? B T W, I like MGMAT.

IMO E,

If there was a common repertory from where every thing was sourced and developed, it is possible that the designs were done by local artisans and not traveling artisans. Hence E is needed for the conclusion to stay.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 16

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 11:52
please explain...I dint get this answer
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 16:43
ruturajp wrote:
please explain...I dint get this answer

The conclusion of the above argument says "the mosaics of Sepphoris were very likely created by traveling artisans from some other part of the Roman Empire."

Now, why would the argument say that 'traveling' artisans are responsible for these mosaics? Why not artisans who do not travel? This is obviously because, the motifs depicted are not based on creatures found in Sepphoris. However, this 'obvious' argument hides an underlying assumption; the artisans who do not travel, do not have a catalog of motifs that they could simply refer to for their work. This is the assumption behind the conclusion that 'traveling artisans' are responsible for the job.

Answer E!
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 109

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 19:01
IMO, C.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 36

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS
hoogie wrote:

Thanks.

X A - talks about stones, irrelevant
X B - again talks about the "specific" location of the species, irrelevant
X C - even if the motifs from Sepphoris appeared in other regions so what, point is why they are in Sepphoris - irrelevant
X D - all of the animals may or may not be identifiable, we know that at least some of the identified ones were not local
E - even if it states a new fact not included in the original statement, if this assumption were not true, then the "travelling" artisan conclusion would be negated.

E IMO

Thanks, good question.

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 42

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 20:49
OA Plz
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 10

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 21:08
OA: E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 20

Re: [CR] Excavations of Sepphoris [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 08:55
metallicafan wrote:
IMO, C.

It can not be C.

Just because I have something that you also have, it does not mean I don't have what you don't have. To think that way is to go extreme.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 02:49
Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous detailed mosaics depicting several readily identifiable animal species: a hare, a partridge, and various Mediterranean fish. Oddly, most of the species represented did not live in the Sepphoris region when these mosaics were created. Since identical motifs appear in mosaics found in other Roman cities, however, the mosaics of Sepphoris were very likely created by traveling artisans from some other part of the Roman Empire.
A. The Sepphoris mosaics are not composed exclusively of types of stones found naturally in the Sepphoris area.
B. There is no single region to which all the species depicted in the Sepphoris mosaics native
C. No motifs appear in the Sepphoris mosaics that do not also appear in the mosaics of some other Roman city
D. All of the animal figures in the Sepphoris mosaics are readily identifiable as representation of known species
E. There was not a common repertory of mosaic designs with which artisans who lived in various parts of the Roman empire were familiar

can someone explain this question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPREP CR [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 03:39
Arg says that since animals were not present in Sepphoris but in other roman cities, mosaics were made by traveling artist from some other place.

E clearly describes the assumption that there was no common repository from where artists can get information of designs.

Please mention in case you want to discuss any particular option
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Re: GMATPREP CR [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 06:57
piyushksharma wrote:
Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous detailed mosaics depicting several readily identifiable animal species: a hare, a partridge, and various Mediterranean fish. Oddly, most of the species represented did not live in the Sepphoris region when these mosaics were created. Since identical motifs appear in mosaics found in other Roman cities, however, the mosaics of Sepphoris were very likely created by traveling artisans from some other part of the Roman Empire.
A. The Sepphoris mosaics are not composed exclusively of types of stones found naturally in the Sepphoris area.
B. There is no single region to which all the species depicted in the Sepphoris mosaics native
C. No motifs appear in the Sepphoris mosaics that do not also appear in the mosaics of some other Roman city
D. All of the animal figures in the Sepphoris mosaics are readily identifiable as representation of known species
E. There was not a common repertory of mosaic designs with which artisans who lived in various parts of the Roman empire were familiar

can someone explain this question?

Argument/Conclusion is given in the last sentence " however, the mosaics of Sepphoris were very likely created by traveling artisans from some other part of the Roman Empire"

To support this, we should say that artisans could not have imagined this, they should no repository to see the designs etc... Only E talks about this fact

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 48

Re: Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 06:05
How does one refute option C??
If all motifs in Sepphoris also appear in some other city of the Roman empire, and most of the creatures found on these motifs were not even found in that region at that time, was it not possible that Sepphoris' locals had not created them, but by someone who came to Sepphoris.

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 48

Re: Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 06:05
How does one refute option C??
If all motifs in Sepphoris also appear in some other city of the Roman empire, and most of the creatures found on these motifs were not even found in that region at that time, was it not possible that Sepphoris' locals had not created them, but by someone who came to Sepphoris.

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 06:22
Let's Put it this way;

Travelling artisans made those mosaics because, if Rome had a common repertory of mosaic designs then, local (non-travelling ) artisan could have learnt those mosaics and made it in their local cities.

(E) wins.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 543

Re: Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2013, 05:33
Can someone provide a detailed analysis on this question! Thanks.

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Re: Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2013, 05:33