Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Excellent example of Gmat Trap..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 11:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi guys,
Just re-posting a question which I think represents a good trap that GMAT test writer setup to confuse the test takers. Atleast I fell into the trap, so thought just to caution you :)

The question is :
In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developer's plans to build 300 houses on a large portion of the 210-acre site of the Battle of Princeton, one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields
that had remained undeveloped.

(A) one of only eight Revolutionary War
battlefields that had remained undeveloped.
(B) one of eight of the only Revolutionary War
battlefields that have remained undeveloped
(C) one of the only eight undeveloped Revolutionary
War battlefields that remains
(D) only one of eight Revolutionary War
battlefields to remain undeveloped
(E) only one of the eight remaining undeveloped
Revolutionary War battlefields

Now in a hurry, I tried to find which option is correct by determining which is right "one of eight of the only" or "one of the only eight " or any other choice.. Where as the problem here was of tenses.. There are 2 events involved here.. Approved a plan and lying under-developed.. Former following the later.. Hence option A is right.. and it was so simply to find out.
So lesson learnt is not to loose out on getting the overall meaning of the sentence rather than searching for erratic words and then looking in the options..
Hope this helps ..

For more explanation:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... +princeton
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 11:58
Amit05 wrote:
In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developer's plans to build 300 houses on a large portion of the 210-acre site of the Battle of Princeton, one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields that had remained undeveloped.

(A) one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields that had remained undeveloped.
(B) one of eight of the only Revolutionary War battlefields that have remained undeveloped
(C) one of the only eight undeveloped Revolutionary War battlefields that remains
(D) only one of eight Revolutionary War battlefields to remain undeveloped
(E) only one of the eight remaining undeveloped Revolutionary War battlefields

A. no error.

since we know the sentence is in past tense, we need the modifier in past perfect. so only A is in PP.

(A) one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields that had remained undeveloped.
(B) one of eight of the only Revolutionary War battlefields that have remained undeveloped
(C) one of the only eight undeveloped Revolutionary War battlefields that remains
(E) only one of the eight remaining undeveloped Revolutionary War battlefields => it is even not complete.

so A is obvious and stright...
Director
Director

Re: Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 12:19
Fistail wrote:
Amit05 wrote:
In June of 1989, Princeton Township approved a developer's plans to build 300 houses on a large portion of the 210-acre site of the Battle of Princeton, one of only eight Revolutionary War battlefields that had remained undeveloped.

A. no error.

since we know the sentence is in past tense, we need the modifier in past perfect. so only A is in PP.

(E) only one of the eight remaining undeveloped Revolutionary War battlefields => it is even not complete.

It is pretty straight but you tend to overlook these small things when you are in a hurry ...atleast I could not do that .. Hence thought to share ..I have experienced this many times.. I mean the error is something else and you waste time trying to analyze something else.. so either end up wasting crucial seconds or ending in a wrong choice.. This may not be with everyone ... May be this has still go get into my blood :) !!!
Director
Director

Re: Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 12:21
Fistail wrote:
Amit05 wrote:

A. no error.

Hey Fistail, you are in Chicago B-school...tht's great ..just saw your avataar.. when did you give your GMAT ..??
Director
Director

Re: Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 12:40
Amit05 wrote:
Fistail wrote:
Amit05 wrote:

A. no error.

It is pretty straight but you tend to overlook these small things when you are in a hurry ...atleast I could not do that .. Hence thought to share ..I have experienced this many times.. I mean the error is something else and you waste time trying to analyze something else.. so either end up wasting crucial seconds or ending in a wrong choice.. This may not be with everyone ... May be this has still go get into my blood :) !!!

you are right.

its my target school.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 16:58
Damn, thanks. I picked C. I see why A is right now.
Director
Director

Re: Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 21:36
Amit05 wrote:
Fistail wrote:
Amit05 wrote:

A. no error.

Hey Fistail, you are in Chicago B-school...tht's great ..just saw your avataar.. when did you give your GMAT ..??

now do not assume and say that I am in Goldman Sachs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 02:14
Good point!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 03:29
Point taken amit !
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 07:16
I kinda scratch my head for few minutes and boiled it down to A and E. E was not carrying the intended meaning, so picked A.

A good one!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 13:11
BD wrong because of tense. DE are wrong because of placement of only. E is also a fragment. D wrongly uses the infinitive form. A is correct. The present perfect tense is correct here because the plan was made in 1989 and the site remained undeveloped till then.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 01:06
I pick C but I understand now.

Thanks for the explanation.
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 11:00
this was not that hard.

1. I eliminated b + c + d because the tense did not make sense
2. E is easy to eliminate as well - only on is total rubbish - it is already known that Township approved plans to build on one of 8 battlefields -- That there are ONLY 8 of these battlefields is here important.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 06:08
Thought of C but A is seems correct thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

Re: Excellent example of Gmat Trap.. [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 07:00